The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protesters Storm Montreal University, Gang Up On Students In Class

Common sense

Guest BuckFoston

If I were sitting in a class, or god forbid teaching one of my student discussion groups and these morons stormed my room and jumped on my tables I'd get off my chair and take it to their god damn knee caps. I doubt anyone would be arresting me for assault either, but if they did - fine with me. And that's in nice ol' Canada of course. Come down and try that kind of nonsense here in the States and you will get shot, deservingly so.

You want to protest, good for you, but I draw the line at these fools disrupting other students who are actually in class trying to learn something and are paying those same damn fees as everyone else. And grabbing them in class, especially WOMEN is just disgusting. Don't like it in Montreal? Move to Congo, or the Middle East, somewhere where life is much better than what Canada seems to offer.

Guest BuckFoston

Free tuition is a moronic idea? Really? I guess Swedes and Norwegians are a bunch of morons then. At least the Norwegian morons were smart enough to make money from their oil, unlike Canada. Albertan geniuses were too smart for that, so they got into the federal government and let more oil flow over the borders under lower taxes and tiny royalties. Tell me how you're concerned about money leaving the country again.

Actually pretty much all of Europe has free education, it's just a lot harder to get in because of it, where as here and in the States they will take anyone who has the money to pay for it, regardless of them being an A student or a D student. Because of that, when I was a TA, I used to get first year kids who wrote essays in text speak and didn't know any words consisting of more than 4 or 5 letters. The stupidity was really overwhelming. Also, when I studied in Ottawa most straight A students had scholarships. You rarely get a full ride for a Bachelors, but my Masters was completely free and I didn't have to work on the side either. Obviously no one with a C average is going to get a scholarship, but I think in that case this kind of education should start at the high school level if not earlier so people know exactly what they are getting themselves into.

So while free education is a great idea, what is moronic is storming classrooms of other students who want to sit there and learn, regardless of whether they agree with the protests or not. Maybe they do, but still feel it important to stay in class as they don't want to ruin their grades or worse end up in jail if cops start grabbing people unceremoniously. Then they or their families have to pay fines that they can't afford in the first place. If you cross that line of ignoring a teacher's request to leave their classroom and you start grabbing other students, then violence against you is justified. Believe me when I say, if this kind of escalation happened in an American university, especially with all the horrible shootings we've had in the last few years - the swat team would be brought in immediately and the whole place would go into lockdown. Even worse, someone taking the law into their own hands. A lot of Canadians really take it for granted how lucky they are with their gun laws, because down here you think twice to get out of your car to have an argument with the guy who just cut you off.

You're begging the questions. The facts are that Albertan oil royalties have never reached the lows set by Premiers (and federal taxes have been cut in more than half in a decade), Alberta has been running a deficit and will continue until 2014, Albertan oil sands aren't exactly risk-free (since you're driving home the off-shore risk), and Newfoundland has 3 off-shore rigs, producing 12% of Canada's oil and capable of much more. Facts are that oil that is currently in Canada is being siphoned off by foreign companies with little benefit to Canadians, including Albertans.

You can point to any number of differences between Norway and Canada, and it won't change the above. Do you like the above? I don't.

Guest BuckFoston

You're mixing up my post and the topic. If you notice, this thread has long since moved from discussing the students barging in and into discussing the protests in general (I figured this thread is as good as starting a new one). I agree with you that students who did this are in the wrong. I don't think they should be shot. I don't even understand such vile hatred for these people. I feel it's rather unbecoming of an intelligent person to be so blood thirsty.

And what a nice country America must be.

I wasn't begging any questions :P

Alberta's deficit is covered by the Sustainability fund which sat at $11B at the end of the 10-11 fiscal year.

Royalties haven't been great as a percentage but at the rates they are at the $ come in thanks to volume. I would like to see rates higher however.

I wouldn't say oil being sold internationally is of little benefit to Albertans (or Canadians). Over 20% of AB revenue came directly from oil royalties. Then you can add to that all the income tax from persons and businesses involved in the oil industry. And because of this industry AB continues to be the leader in equalization transfers to the 'have-not' provinces of Canada.

I am not fond of the detrimental factors of the oil industry but I also do not ignore the benefits that exist.

It's not something I am proud of, but when I see the real problems in my own home country (Ukraine), the injustice that the citizens are subjected to, the human rights violations going on left and right - the protests in Montreal make me that much more angry. It's like oh, I feel so bad for your 1st world problems when I know people who worked like dogs to build those Euro 2012 stadiums and have still not been paid for the month of FEBRUARY. I don't think anyone here can even imagine what that is like. We have no welfare programs, no quick loans, no one to complain to or sue. If they protest, they get hauled away in buses, some never to be heard from again.

Seriously though, I've lived in many countries over the course of my life and the best one has always been Canada. Sure, it has major problems like anyone else, but it was the only place where I always had a roof over my head, running water, food, had half decent health care, was never afraid to go out at night or to speak my mind publicly with the fear of getting beaten in some basement or having my family threatened. From this angle, it's hard not to see these protesters as anything other than spoiled schmucks.

We seem to agree, so I don't understand why you're trying to make excuses for the way Canadian resources are developed.

And nobody is arguing against development here, so any benefits from workers are moot. The detrimental factors I'm talking about are financial.

Guest BuckFoston

Comrade, ya sam s Har'kova. You don't have to tell me about Ukraine.

You're saying that because things are so bad in Ukraine, people don't have the right to protest where things are better? Things could be even better for Canadians, but we should watch others enjoy good things because Ukrainians have it bad? Maybe Uks should shut up because compared so Somalia and Afghanistan, things aren't so bad. You have an emotional opinion not grounded in facts, and you want to shoot people for interfering with your daily activities? Excuse my skepticism toward your masters degree. :sadno:

Archived