The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gillis On The Team 1040

nuck nit

"Canucks GM Mike Gillis joined BMac and Taylor Thursday afternoon on TEAM1040, discussing a number of Canucks-related topics.

Gillis says he’s been talking to Alain Vigneault about the club’s plans going forward, but is in no hurry to announce anything related to Vigneault’s job safety or regarding a rumoured extension for Vigneault.

He also talked with Roberto Luongo today (Thursday), but Gillis chose not to comment on whether he’s making progress towards moving Luongo.

Gillis also commented on David Booth, who’s been in the news due to his bear-hunting excursion in Alberta, on the NHL playoffs to this date, and gave his thoughts on certain proposals that may or may not improve the game of hockey."

Although Gillis did not make much comment on the Booth situation I took it from the tone in his voice he was not too happy with the way David Booth handled the situation. Then again you didn't get a lot out of what Gillis said. You have to read between the lines.

Although Gillis did not make much comment on the Booth situation I took it from the tone in his voice he was not too happy with the way David Booth handled the situation. Then again you didn't get a lot out of what Gillis said. You have to read between the lines.

On AV:

Ah well Alain and I have been ahh meeting the last couple of days and we have ahh (cough cough) a lot of things to discuss over the last couple of years about umm where we are headed and how we work together and how we view the world of hockey, and umm.

You know its a process that you have to go through and ensure that, that we all feel the same way about where we are as a team and an organization and the steps that we need to take in order to ummm, compete for the stanley cup again. And That isn't something that is, you know, happens in a moment or an instant, it takes a little bit of time and often it takes getting into the clear light of day

you know everyone is very emotional when seasons end. Players are emotional, coaching staff, owners, us, everyone is ummm, is kind of you know, not in a position to really make great judgments about a lot of things that are important things. I firmly believe that ahh you just take your time and look at it, umm, clearly and thoughtfully and you will get to the right conclusion and I, I am never gonna change that so I know sometimes it doesn't happen on a schedule that people want, or they want to interpret something into it, that is just me and the way I do things. And I ummm, I don't feel any kind of pressure to act differently. I think that if you eliminate opportunities to make mistakes your better off and I would like to try to do that.

On AV:

Now, most of you readers will already know I, Primal, want to see AV gone, but these are the verbatim words out of MG's mouth. It is not 'reading too much into it" to read his exact words, and frankly, I see a phrase or two there that confirms my thoughts about MG and AV not being on the same page regarding coaching use of players provided by the GM.

I think losing the first round series with his healthy starting goalie on the bench might be the end of AV's tenure in Vancouver. Call it the straw that broke the back of his tenure.

Archived