mikerest

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:00 PM

Quite interesting, not sure how much people should read into it

@The_Creasy

#Habs GM Marc Bergevin confirms he had lunch meeting with A.Vigneault. Says it was just "old friends catching up".

Anyone know how legit the source is?

Edited by mikerest, 18 May 2012 - 08:02 PM.

#2 Kazmanian Devil

Kazmanian Devil

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

Maybe they're more than friends.

KLOSE 2014

#3 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,328 posts

LOL

#4 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,916 posts

Quite interesting, not sure how much people should read into it

@The_Creasy

Anyone know how legit the source is?

Friends can't catch up with each other? I don't think it's something they will just make up. A.V still has one year with us, so nothing to really worry about.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#5 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

AV to the Habs. Obvs. Who will be our coach now? JQ?

#6 InSoM-

InSoM-

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
X-360 Gamertag: InSoMnIaK604

NHL 12 Sim League Boston Bruins GM
VHL Montreal Canadiens GM

#7 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Friends with Benefits?

#8 Pears

Pears

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,841 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:15 PM

AV and a 7th for Cunnyworth :bigblush:
Posted Image

Credit to (>'-')> for the amazing sig!!

#9 Joffrey Lupul

Joffrey Lupul

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

AV is under contract

2zi66q8.jpgnv20o20imarksmanx_zpsb4f8b662.jpg?55

small.pngGM - STHS Signature Credit goes to Vintage Canuck.

#10 Opmac

Opmac

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:36 PM

The NHL has outlawed compensation so could Alain Vigneault jump ship as head coach of the Vancouver Canucks to become the head coach for the Montreal Canadiens?

But I guess if his heart's not here, the Canucks will have to release him?

Posted Image

#11 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

The NHL has outlawed compensation so could Alain Vigneault jump ship as head coach of the Vancouver Canucks to become the head coach for the Montreal Canadiens?

But I guess if his heart's not here, the Canucks will have to release him?

No, he still has a contract with us.

Any discussion between the two of them about a coaching position would be tampering, and the league takes that very seriously. Neither of them are dumb enough to do that.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#12 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

well friends are open with one another and bergevin is now up to date on av's status, your guess is as good as the next guy.

#13 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

POPULAR

Good riddance. Hopefully he stays in Montreal.

#14 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

well friends are open with one another and bergevin is now up to date on av's status, your guess is as good as the next guy.

Kind of fishy that you've got one guy who just got the GM position and is looking for a new coach, and another guy with ties to Montreal that has had his contract extension delayed for some mysterious reason.

I'm sure they are old friends, it's just the timing of it is kind of strange considering the circumstances.

Perhaps Gillis gave him permission to explore his options in Montreal?

Posted Image

#15 Not Alain Vigneault

Not Alain Vigneault

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,328 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Have lunch they said..

It's a time to catch up they said..

:bigblush:

All jokes aside, it's nothing more than speculation.

#16 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

Good riddance. Hopefully he stays in Montreal.

Be careful what you wish for.

Everyone just assumes a coaching change would automatically makes us better, when it doesn't always work that way. In fact I'd say there's more of a chance that we get worse.

A good coach is hard to find, and even if you get a good one, sometimes they don't fit into certain places. That's why we see so much coaching turnover year after year. Just look at Hitchcock. Jack Adams favorite in most fans eyes, and then his team gets swept in the second round.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. At least we know what we have with AV.

Posted Image

#17 6string

6string

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:45 PM

Kind of fishy that you've got one guy who just got the GM position and is looking for a new coach, and another guy with ties to Montreal that has had his contract extension delayed for some mysterious reason.

I'm sure they are old friends, it's just the timing of it is kind of strange considering the circumstances.

Perhaps Gillis gave him permission to explore his options in Montreal?

you may be onto something, i've noticed when the montreal coaching names come up in discussions, coach v's name is absent and because he is under contract there is probably a gag order amongst tv pundits, why wouldn't they speculate this, it's a perfect fit really.

i recall going into the playoffs/late season, ron mclean saying, " i would like to see vigneault in montreal" as they went to commercial on hotstove.

like i said bergevin is up to date.

#18 deized_kanuck604

deized_kanuck604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

chem-trail? com-trail??
Posted Image

a true faN.
!kilLuminati!

#19 WHL rocks

WHL rocks

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,615 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 10:25 PM

No coach in NHL history has won a Stanley Cup after not winning it by his 6th year. AV has been with this team for 6 years.

Approx 25% of the Cup winning coaches have done it in their 1st year as coach.

#20 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,640 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:07 AM

Be careful what you wish for.

Everyone just assumes a coaching change would automatically makes us better, when it doesn't always work that way. In fact I'd say there's more of a chance that we get worse.

A good coach is hard to find, and even if you get a good one, sometimes they don't fit into certain places. That's why we see so much coaching turnover year after year. Just look at Hitchcock. Jack Adams favorite in most fans eyes, and then his team gets swept in the second round.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. At least we know what we have with AV.

Who knows what motivates people and organizations. Your point about AV being given permission to talk to Montreal makes sense from MG's personal development philosophy. While true that good coaches are hard to find there is also truth that the message from a long term coach can get stale. AV is a good coach but he has to win a CUP to be great.

I like AV but my developing concerns are about how he readies the team for playoff contention. I am also concerned that Hodgson was traded when the team knew that Kesler was not anywhere near healthy. I can appreciate that value judgements are involved so this is speculation on my part. It is making me question the org's vision of what it takes moving forward. Some of these concerns have little to do with AV directly but most organizations do have a uniting philosophy.

#21 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:27 AM

POPULAR

No coach in NHL history has won a Stanley Cup after not winning it by his 6th year. AV has been with this team for 6 years.

Totally agree. Time for AV to hit the road. Sometimes a team just needs a new voice to shake things up.

#22 Sanj

Sanj

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Any discussion between the two of them about a coaching position would be tampering, and the league takes that very seriously. Neither of them are dumb enough to do that.

I dont know if thats how it works for coaches....

#23 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:03 AM

“Alain and I have been meeting the last couple of days and we have a lot of things to discuss over the last couple of years about where we’re headed, how we work together and how we view the world of hockey,” said Gillis.

“It’s a process that you have to go through. I’m sure we all feel the same way about where we are as a team and an organization and the steps we have to take in order to compete for the Stanley Cup again.

“That isn’t something that happens in an instant. It takes a little time and often it takes getting into the clear light of day. Everyone is very emotional when seasons end — coaching staff, players, owners, us. It’s not a position to make great judgments about important things.

“I believe you just take your time and look at it clearly and thoughtfully and you’ll get to the right conclusion. I know sometimes it doesn’t happen on the schedule that people want or they want to interpret something into it, but that’s just the way I do things.”

Vigneault has one year left on his current contract but when Gillis answered questions last week about his own deal being extended, he wouldn’t be pinned down about the coach’s future. He said he wanted Vigneault back and the coach also wanted to return.

“You have to have agreement and we’re going to work together toward creating an agreement,” Gillis explained last week.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1vKeTpDF3

Has a difference in hockey philosophy arisen after that meeting?

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#24 Canuckfan4Life4

Canuckfan4Life4

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:54 AM

Really using that as a source? LOL

#25 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,339 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:31 AM

Well that just means that a coach that has coached for over 6 years is due to win a cup.

I dont know if thats how it works for coaches....

Yea it does. A coach needs permission from a GM to talk to any other GMs about coaching positions, otherwise it's tampering.

Posted Image

#26 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

A.V is under contract for one more season. Montreal can't recruit him or whatever. It's funny how because he's a coach is a different ball game. Can you imagine if it Shea Weber was having Lunch with Mike Gillis? Heck Weber has one year left until he's a ufa. Kinda like A.V has one more year and then he's a free man, but he's a coach, so nothing is reallly going to happen, lol, but ive seen this before, If Montreal wants him, I think Gillis can trade the rights to Montreal, and Montreal will have to give us a pick for Gillis, kinda like how Brian Burke had to give Colorado a 2nd round pick (a 1st round pick if they made the playoffs) for Marc Crawford.
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#27 Buttock

Buttock

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:12 PM

A.V is under contract for one more season. Montreal can't recruit him or whatever. It's funny how because he's a coach is a different ball game. Can you imagine if it Shea Weber was having Lunch with Mike Gillis? Heck Weber has one year left until he's a ufa. Kinda like A.V has one more year and then he's a free man, but he's a coach, so nothing is reallly going to happen, lol, but ive seen this before, If Montreal wants him, I think Gillis can trade the rights to Montreal, and Montreal will have to give us a pick for Gillis, kinda like how Brian Burke had to give Colorado a 2nd round pick (a 1st round pick if they made the playoffs) for Marc Crawford.

There are no provisions in the CBA for this. Gillis either lets Vigneault talk to other clubs and lets him go or doesn't and the Canucks don't get any compensation.

#28 hsedin33

hsedin33

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 04:16 PM

Unless Montreal asked for permission which happens all the time. There is a good chance Vancouver would say yes as well for AV's sake.

#29 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

Then we can sign Larry Robinson!

WOO!
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#30 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,916 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:25 PM

There are no provisions in the CBA for this. Gillis either lets Vigneault talk to other clubs and lets him go or doesn't and the Canucks don't get any compensation.

Prior to hiring Michelle Terrian, Pittsburgh wanted to hire A.V as their head coach, however because he was under contract with the Vancouver Canucks at the time, (our farm coach) Pittsburgh would have had to surrender a draft pick if they wanted to hire A.V. In the end they couldn't afford to use "trade" a pick for him.

Anahiem also had to compensate the Vancouver Canucks for hiring Randy Caryle, who was under the Canucks organization. So i'm not sure were your arguement comes into play. We recieved a 3rd round pick, from Anahiem I believe. So right now I'm little confused but you just said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.