The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation(?)]Av Has Lunch With Habs Gm Marc Bergevin

No, he still has a contract with us.

Any discussion between the two of them about a coaching position would be tampering, and the league takes that very seriously. Neither of them are dumb enough to do that.

“Alain and I have been meeting the last couple of days and we have a lot of things to discuss over the last couple of years about where we’re headed, how we work together and how we view the world of hockey,” said Gillis.

“It’s a process that you have to go through. I’m sure we all feel the same way about where we are as a team and an organization and the steps we have to take in order to compete for the Stanley Cup again.

“That isn’t something that happens in an instant. It takes a little time and often it takes getting into the clear light of day. Everyone is very emotional when seasons end — coaching staff, players, owners, us. It’s not a position to make great judgments about important things.

“I believe you just take your time and look at it clearly and thoughtfully and you’ll get to the right conclusion. I know sometimes it doesn’t happen on the schedule that people want or they want to interpret something into it, but that’s just the way I do things.”

Vigneault has one year left on his current contract but when Gillis answered questions last week about his own deal being extended, he wouldn’t be pinned down about the coach’s future. He said he wanted Vigneault back and the coach also wanted to return.

“You have to have agreement and we’re going to work together toward creating an agreement,” Gillis explained last week.

Read more: http://www.theprovin...l#ixzz1vKeTpDF3

A.V is under contract for one more season. Montreal can't recruit him or whatever. It's funny how because he's a coach is a different ball game. Can you imagine if it Shea Weber was having Lunch with Mike Gillis? Heck Weber has one year left until he's a ufa. Kinda like A.V has one more year and then he's a free man, but he's a coach, so nothing is reallly going to happen, lol, but ive seen this before, If Montreal wants him, I think Gillis can trade the rights to Montreal, and Montreal will have to give us a pick for Gillis, kinda like how Brian Burke had to give Colorado a 2nd round pick (a 1st round pick if they made the playoffs) for Marc Crawford.

A.V is under contract for one more season. Montreal can't recruit him or whatever. It's funny how because he's a coach is a different ball game. Can you imagine if it Shea Weber was having Lunch with Mike Gillis? Heck Weber has one year left until he's a ufa. Kinda like A.V has one more year and then he's a free man, but he's a coach, so nothing is reallly going to happen, lol, but ive seen this before, If Montreal wants him, I think Gillis can trade the rights to Montreal, and Montreal will have to give us a pick for Gillis, kinda like how Brian Burke had to give Colorado a 2nd round pick (a 1st round pick if they made the playoffs) for Marc Crawford.

Prior to hiring Michelle Terrian, Pittsburgh wanted to hire A.V as their head coach, however because he was under contract with the Vancouver Canucks at the time, (our farm coach) Pittsburgh would have had to surrender a draft pick if they wanted to hire A.V. In the end they couldn't afford to use "trade" a pick for him.

Anahiem also had to compensate the Vancouver Canucks for hiring Randy Caryle, who was under the Canucks organization. So i'm not sure were your arguement comes into play. We recieved a 3rd round pick, from Anahiem I believe. So right now I'm little confused but you just said.

If this is true, it's something to take note of. Given the current situation in Montreal and Van, why would these 2 go out for a public lunch? There's a strong probability they would be spotted - and rumors would fly.

Same thing happened with Gillis and MacT not to long ago. They were spotted having lunch together, shortly after he was named coach of the Wolves.

Obviously AV's under contract for 1 more yr - so it'd be tampering unless AV was given permission. It's odd AV's extension has taken so long, especially since Friedman stated it would be happening 'soon' - that was 3 1/2 weeks ago.

I think it's time for a change, so I'm not broken hearted. Any coach who bolts town after NOT giving a season ending press conference for the fans is a dud in my books.

Av needs to go, he's given enough chances and although some playoff success I'm sick and tired of Canucks always being hemmed in there own end. Probably the Canucks are the worst at getting the puck out of the defensive zone "especially" in the playoffs every year. Also the timid style of play that Av puts forward is not gonna win us the cup, sometimes you need to be brash and just go all out. Av has a hard time balancing that out. Lastly what's with his love for Raymond and Rome? I'm sick of him constantly letting Raymond and Rome off the hook whenever they make mistakes.

Hope this news is the start of Av leaving town, we need most importantly a new system that is more intimidating. Seriously this isn't soccer where there is the threat of being relegated to 2nd division, why not change things up.

No, he still has a contract with us.

Any discussion between the two of them about a coaching position would be tampering, and the league takes that very seriously. Neither of them are dumb enough to do that.

I'm going to say what Bergevin said, friends catching up.

Why would AV want to leave anyway? Canucks still have a chance at the cup for a few years, while the Canadiens have a bit of work to do before they can be considered 'favourites', 'contenders', etc.

Be careful what you wish for.

Everyone just assumes a coaching change would automatically makes us better, when it doesn't always work that way. In fact I'd say there's more of a chance that we get worse.

A good coach is hard to find, and even if you get a good one, sometimes they don't fit into certain places. That's why we see so much coaching turnover year after year. Just look at Hitchcock. Jack Adams favorite in most fans eyes, and then his team gets swept in the second round.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side. At least we know what we have with AV.

Archived