The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How Do You Comfort Someone When They're Down?

MashedBananas

this case sounds similar enough :P (sure hope u do better than Mr. Cooper here; hope this helps :P)

really though, I'd agree with some of the others here-- take her mind off of things, just be there to talk and do stuff with her that she would enjoy :) (maybe show her the clip I sent above and how similar it is to her state :) heh yeah you know what to do, just be a friend)

So your asking CDC for help?

Canucks.com,fire av,trade luongo,trade Schneider,trade both,trade raymond,Ballard,Schroeder,1st, for Nash,trade kesler,shall I continue?

And your asking CDC,Canucks.com for help.

Good luck my Interweb friend.

Hey guys,

So....one of my closest and best friends is really upset right now. She found out she's going to need work done on her knee because it's pretty messed up right now and is nervous of the thought of surgery.... and now she just broke up with her boyfriend. She's been really really upset and she's turning to me for comfort right now.....but I feel like i'm failing miserably at it. I've just been there for her, giving her a shoulder to cry on, trying to lift her spirits, and encourage her, but i'm having trouble with all three of those because I really don't know what to do! She means a lot to me so I absolutely hate seeing her this down, yet I'm feeling almost useless when she needs me.....any advice?

Thanks,

HC

These things take time. She's going to go thru her ups and downs and just remind her that time heals. Everyone who's been in a relationship will tell you it takes time to get over it when the relationship ends.

Don't stress over it too much. There is only so much you can do and the most important thing is that she knows you are there when she needs to talk to someone.

If she gets more depressed or turns to intoxicants try to get her professional help. Her family doctor can refer her to a psychologist, its covered by MSP so it won't cost her anything.

I'm assuming what ails your friend is the breakup with her boyfriend, not so much the knee surgery. If its the knee surgery then you just need to tell her to relax, she's not going in for a open heart surgery or cancer treatment.

For yourself &/or your friend.

Fraser Health Crisis Line

Help could be just a call away.. 24 hours a day. Everyday.

Emotional Support • Crisis Intervention • Resource Information

Immediate • Free • Confidential

Local 604.951.8855 • Toll Free: 1.877.820.7444

Beyond that though, for the most part it's best to simply empathize with people. Sometimes when we try to comfort others we have a tendency to look for solutions too early when it may be best to let them cry it out and simply feel less alone. A hug and reassurance that you'll be there to listen to her whenever she needs you, is probably the best remedy.

what would you do if your son was at home cryin' all alone on the bedroom floor

cuz he's hungry, and the only way to feed him

is to sleep with a man for a

little bit of money and his daddy's gone,

somewhere smokin' rock now,

in and out of lock down,

I ain't got a job now,

Archived