Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

needtogetswole

1982 Cup Run : In Their Own Words!

16 posts in this topic

“The Canucks got swept in the finals, and yet Vancouver held a massive parade in their honour. Even the Islanders didn’t have much of a parade route, which was basically around the parking lot at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. But the Canucks were celebrated all the way down Burrard Street in open convertibles, had a rally at Sunset Beach, a stage with live music, and it seemed like everyone in the city had lined up to cheer them. And they’d lost four straight! I don’t think you’ll ever see that again.”

— Jim Robson

THERE WAS NO RIOT!!

:)

This is great, but their have been a lot of discussions lately about the "good old days." People need to focus on the future of this team right now.

Like someone said, no riot, a bit different from last year's run...

This is great, but their have been a lot of discussions lately about the "good old days." People need to focus on the future of this team right now.

a simpler time. 94 and 82 seemed to be more special do to the true underdog status of both teams

This is the major difference between 82 and 2011, "Lunchbucket determination". In the 82 and 94 runs the Canucks were considered the underdog. In '11 we were expected to take it all. After the 2-0 goal by the Bruins, the Canucks deflated. There was no "play until the final buzzer". There was no determination in the 2012 playoff opening round and that's what got the 'Nucks knocked out. Linden played all out and wouldn't quit until the "time ran out" in '94.

“The Canucks got swept in the finals, and yet Vancouver held a massive parade in their honour. Even the Islanders didn’t have much of a parade route, which was basically around the parking lot at Veterans Memorial Coliseum. But the Canucks were celebrated all the way down Burrard Street in open convertibles, had a rally at Sunset Beach, a stage with live music, and it seemed like everyone in the city had lined up to cheer them. And they’d lost four straight! I don’t think you’ll ever see that again.”

— Jim Robson

I think this was a great read. You were probably too young to remember the '82 playoff run. Believe me when I say that you will never witness anything like it again. The league has over regulated the game now. But, there is a huge lesson to be learned from the '82 run because everyone of those Canuck players had their pride and determination right out in the open. They were not rolling over for anyone. The current Canucks could use a few more guys that put the workboots on for every minute that they are on the ice....it takes the whole team doing that so that you make the unexpected happen by sheer determination.

Which brings us to the 'now'....that is what this team needs.

“All I remember is that they were huge. That’s the only way to describe them. Willie Plett, Jim Peplinski: They were loaded and tough as nails. That’s why, right from the opening faceoff of the first game, we took it on ourselves to level the playing field. People like Steamer and Tiger Williams and myself got involved in a few scraps, which took the wind out of their sails. Once we took away that physical advantage, our skilled forwards were free to do their jobs.— Curt Fraser.

I think this was a great read. You were probably too young to remember the '82 playoff run. Believe me when I say that you will never witness anything like it again. The league has over regulated the game now. But, there is a huge lesson to be learned from the '82 run because everyone of those Canuck players had their pride and determination right out in the open. They were not rolling over for anyone. The current Canucks could use a few more guys that put the workboots on for every minute that they are on the ice....it takes the whole team doing that so that you make the unexpected happen by sheer determination.

Which brings us to the 'now'....that is what this team needs.

its never a bad thing thinking about the past history of this organization... don't always have to look forward..

their just memories that people like remembering! - a good thing

it's not another hey lets trade.... so and so thread..