The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Jensen

Southpop45

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Kassian works at developing his strength and fitness and skills with the right attitude and trainer he is at the right age to mature into an NHL regular. Todd Bertuzzi and Milan Lucic are examples of the extreme upside player he could become. Taylor Pyatt and Brad Isbister mediocre success examples. Hopefully even a Cam Neely type career is possible.

My prediction is he will be a tougher Jim Sandlak.

Jensen I think well score more and become a top 20 scorer in the NHL. Not a superstar, but a solid offensive forward.

I think both should be judged in September at training camp. At their ages changes can happen or not happen quickly. They may both be ready or neither is ready. Hopefully both train hard and show up at camp way beyond ready.

He's not able to play in the AHL next season since he's not 20.

Which is why, if the coaches feel that he's close they're more likely to keep him up in the bigs then send him down to juniors where he wouldn't be challenged at all.

(might wanna paragraph that badboy next time)

Burrows and Kesler both played over 100 games in the AHL. Kassian has 30. No point bringing him in to fill Dale Weise role when he can be playing 20 minutes a game for the Wolves.

Jensen either plays in the NHL or Oshawa...can't really just sprinkle him a few games here and there.

Schroeder will likely get some call ups this season.

Schenn, Couturier, and Larsson all are a different level prospect than Jensen...they are pretty elite prospects whereas Jensen was a late 1st rounder...

Do you think that Jensen/Kassian are ready to be 50 point players like Henrique? Read is 26 years old, King is 2 years older than Kassian (4 more than Jensen), Nolan is 2 years older than Kassian, Hagelin is 3 years older,

These guys were all groomed until they were ready for the NHL... yes they are rookies but they have paid their dues in the AHL/College

okay mr. hockey expert, it really doesn't matter how many ahl games kassian played or not, look at tyler seguin he never played one, he made the jump from playing 2 years in juniors to the nhl, compared to kassian's 4 years in juniors

Kassian - Chicago Wolves

Were grooming him to be a top 6 powerforward....lets let him establish himself as a top 6 powerforward in the AHL and get him 20 minutes a game instead of using him as a 4th line grinder for 8 minutes a game.

okay mr. hockey expert, it really doesn't matter how many ahl games kassian played or not, look at tyler seguin he never played one, he made the jump from playing 2 years in juniors to the nhl, compared to kassian's 4 years in juniors

kassian played 44 games already and has 10 points, that is not bad for a rookie year, especially with the amount of ice time he's been getting, and adjusting to a new team, yeah i don't care what you have to say because i know kassian's gonna be in a Vancouver Canucks jersey next season, he'll play on the 3rd line and will eventually make it to the 2nd line, it's time to shake it up and give the young guy's a chance and give them more ice time to develop, kassian's nhl ready

The way our 4th line is constructed its probably not the best situation to put a player like Kassian in.

(exclusively defensive zone starts, facing other teams top lines and playing overall hard minutes)

I suspect that Boston drafted Lucic with him being a 3rd/4th liner in mind. Putting him there was the natural progression of his development. The Canucks see Kassian as having potential to be a top 6 forward, so playing him in a bottom 6 for too long might not be best for his development.

regards,

G.

If Jensen lights it up in the preseason, I can see him staying for 8 games (or whatever the magic number is) such that he can still be sent down to junior. Since he'll have outgrown junior hockey, he can spend more time working on his defensive play because the offence will come naturally against smaller competition.

Kassian really needs AHL time to develop, because he needs top six minutes and linemates to play top six hockey. However, as many posters alluded to, MG is "obligated" to keep Kassian in the NHL, where he will see bottom 9 (emphasis on bottom) minutes or sit in the pressbox, not tear it up and will be called a bust. MG is in a lose-lose situation unless Kassian manages to light it up playing third/fourth line minutes.

If Zack Kassian's suppose to be a bruising power forward, wouldn't putting him on the third and fourth line to develop his physical side of the game in the NHL against faster and bigger opponents be the natural progression of his development? I think it makes a lot more sense than optioning him to the minors where he can become complacent.

In all reality Jensen probably won't make the roster, he's 19, probably will get sent back down to Oshawa, play another year down there. I can see him cracking the Wolves roster 2 years from now. I'm just really hoping Kassian has a break out year next year.

If Zack Kassian's suppose to be a bruising power forward, wouldn't putting him on the third and fourth line to develop his physical side of the game in the NHL against faster and bigger opponents be the natural progression of his development? I think it makes a lot more sense than optioning him to the minors where he can become complacent.

Archived