The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo, Schneider Together Forever? [Province Article]

The Situation

Goaltending Situation  

244 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Obviously it would be great to have both goalies back next yr. But it's not possible, it would be the biggest asset management bust ever.

Forget its potential to destroy the locker room (Corys very explicitly stated he wants to be a starter), Cory will walk at the end of next yr when he becomes a UFA - and Canucks will get nada in return.

I'm hoping this is some sort of tactic to increase interest in either goalie. The 'idea' that neither will be on the market might frighten some teams who are desperate for a goalie.

Sign Schneider to a 3.5 million, 2 year deal and let Raymond and Rome walk.

Next season we see a 41-41 split in the regular season, the season after we ride the hot goalie. Then decide what to do when Luongo is much older and Schneider has more experience.

This better be a PR stunt by the Canucks. We can't be perceived as desperate to move Luongo, but at the same time...we've got to be desperate to move Luongo. This is a no-brainer, absolutely no room for interpretation! If Gillis keeps both goalies for next season or loses Schneider, it is obviously a costly mistake, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

This quote in particular hits the nail right on the head:

“He has the demeanor to play goal — calm, athletic. competitive and he doesn’t look for an out when things go sideways,” Liut said. “He blends in with the guys. It’s hard for a goalie — they’re different, don’t you know, which is why his teammates like him and play for him.”

That describes Cory Schneider perfectly. Where most goalies like to distinguish themselves as being different, Schneider is just one of the guys. He's a part of the team.

When I started out as a goalie I liked to let everyone know that I was different - I was the only one with the cool pads and I wanted to stick out all the time. They say goalies have the hardest job in hockey and I wanted everyone to know it. At a certain point though, I realized that this attitude was making me an individual in a team sport. I was missing out on the most important aspects of being a hockey player. The minute I started acting like everyone else I started having so much more fun. And they started playing harder in front of me because they really got to know me.

The same is applicable to Schneider. He is just super easy going and also low maintenance. He does what he needs to do to play well without acting like a super diva or anything like that. I think it's brought about a real respect for him from his peers.

I believe Gillis saying that bringing back both goalies is a distinct possibility is the same as Yzerman saying he is really interested in Bernier.

It's called gamesmanship. Yzerman tries to drive the price down through the media, Gillis takes a "I don't care. I'll keep them both" position.

regards,

G.

I give kudos to both Lui and Cory's agents for making the situation no more antsy than it is already; they're real professionals and they're keeping a low profile to make sure their clients (and consequently, the team) get the best.

If I have a choice, I would try to trade one this off-season if possible because there's a ton of quality UFA/RFA goalies next off-season:

UFA:

Thomas

Emery

Giguere - Might retire.

Lehtonen

Howard

Khabibulin - Might retire.

Theodore

Quick

Backstrom

Nabokov

Smith

Garon

RFA

Enroth - He's a good, young goalie who's playing behind Miller. It will be similar to the situation as the Canucks, except Enroth doesn't have the experience that Schneider has.

Mason - RFA, but he might as well be a UFA because I don't think Columbus will pay him $3M+.

Bernier - In similar situation as Enroth.

Bishop - A BIG goalie (6-7) who is quick, and may become an NHL goalie soon.

Bobrovsky - Still young and inconsistent, but definitely showed flashes of his capabilities.

Neuvirth - Talented goalie and, like Bobrovsky, lacked consistency but has shown flashes.

Holtby - You know how good he is if you've watched some of the Caps' games in the playoffs this season.

Tradeing Schnieder will improve our team huge in other areas that are constantly overlooked by fans such as defense and a star foward. Even with Schnieder in net and as great as he played, our team only managed 1 win out of 3.

This clearly proves we need to address our team in other areas greatly and you no doubt gotta trade the goalie that has the highest and best trade value.

Tradeing Schnieder will improve our team huge in other areas that are constantly overlooked by fans such as defense and a star foward. Even with Schnieder in net and as great as he played, our team only managed 1 win out of 3.

This clearly proves we need to address our team in other areas greatly and you no doubt gotta trade the goalie that has the highest and best trade value.

Two major factors impact this decision, first does Luongo still want to play here and would he accept another year of tandem goaltending, maybe even fewer starts than last season? He was a real good teammate this season and him and Schneider were tight, they never threw any fuel on the controversy. Second, what does Schneider end up making and would he be willing to re-sign and get fewer starts than he could elsewhere, or does he want a bigger role? If it fits into the cap scheme and both guys are okay with it, it's obviously the best route to keep them both together.

I think it's decision time.

Trade whoever gives us the better return and then live with it. There is one thing for sure, whoever is left here better be ready for some serious hate because if they screw up there are 1000's out there who will be on his case because in HINDSIGHT they will say we chose the wrong one. Of course 1000's of them will have agreed at the time.

CDC "hypocrites r us"

Edit. One thing is for sure, whichever goalie we keep, we can help him immensely by FINALLY getting the big D we have needed for 3 years now, to protect him and stop him being molested.

We can also take the strain of him by getting the Sedins the big, gritty sniper they have needed like......................forever to help tip the balance in close games instead of leaving it up to the heroics of our net minder to bale us out.

The smartest move at this point is really looking at trading Luongo. It is not really about the return anymore, obviously still hoping for something good in return, but it is to have a chance to move an aging goalie who has not been playing his best hockey over the past two or three years and declining. Schneider is ready to go, he is a product of our system and the goalie for the future.

Yes, the teams that Luongo can be traded to have declined but who cares, take a deal that might not give us as much return as it would if we traded Schneider, just the fact of having Schneider is already worth trading Luongo.

Trade him to Tampa for a first round pick and B level prospect, shed 5,3 of the cap, re-sign Schneider to a two year deal worth 3,5 million and spend that extra cap on something during FA.

Mike Gillis, hire me.

and of course, if you can get a better return for Luongo do that, at this point I just want to see him gone. too harsh?

The whole point here is making every cap dollar worth something.

The biggest issue with Luongo now is, why pay this guy 5.3 if isn't going to be 'the guy'. I mean if only gets 45ish games, what's the point? The same argument is used when we talk about Ballard. For a 5th guy he isn't worth his salary. I happen to like Ballard but the fact is that if the coaching staff isn't going to give him mintues, why is he on your roster for 4.2 million?

Both goalies cost us about 8-9 million which is high but not the highest for a goalie combo and the point is going to be where are we going to get more secondary scoring?

You trade Luongo if he's willing and the return doesn't matter if you can use the cap money to your advantage.

Archived