The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Foligno If You Could Do It Over Again?

Italia2006

True, Foligno did have a good year. Kassian is bigger and is a right handed shot which are things we need, he also played great in the WJHC. He is more of a PWF and plays a more physical game, and was pretty good in the defensive zone. With a little bit more time I believe he will be a great player in the future.

Also, both are the same age. They are born in 1991, except Zack is born in January which makes him older.

Well when you're gauging value for trades with players who have played limitted games in the NHL, usually you wanna trade a high pick prospect for another high pick prospect.

Foligno is far from a proven player. That's why you've gotta trust your scouts.

To prefer Foligno is another premature judgement, based ironically on very little hindsight. Not a single person considered mentioning Foligno at the time of the trade. The idea of substituting Foligno for Kassian would have been mocked outright by virtually everyone, and to continue to under-estimate Kassian based on about 60 minutes of NHL playing time in Vancouver is downright ridiculous.

Foligno scored 16 goals this season in Rochester in 60 games - Kassian scored 15 in 30 games.

Foligno had a good first month in the NHL playing big minutes on a desperate team, scoring 6 goals.

Kassian had a good first month playing minimal, role minutes on a contender. He had an entirely different opportunity and did what was expected of him. If you think you can project Foligno's numbers into the future I think you are deluded. If you are assuming that a month indicates clearly what you can expect for the future of their careers, likewise.

Very happy to have Kassian here, and look forward to seeing him develop in a Canucks uniform.

To prefer Foligno is another premature judgement, based ironically on very little hindsight.  Not a single person considered mentioning Foligno at the time of the trade.  The idea of substituting Foligno for Kassian would have been mocked outright by virtually everyone, and to continue to under-estimate Kassian based on about 60 minutes of NHL playing time in Vancouver is downright ridiculous.

Foligno scored 16 goals this season in Rochester in 60 games - Kassian scored 15 in 30 games.

Foligno had a good first month in the NHL playing big minutes on a desperate team, scoring 6 goals.  

Kassian had a good first month playing minimal, role minutes on a contender.  He had an entirely different opportunity and did what was expected of him.   If you think you can project Foligno's numbers into the future I think you are deluded.  If you are assuming that a month indicates clearly what you can expect for the future of their careers, likewise.

Very happy to have Kassian here, and look forward to seeing him develop in a Canucks uniform.

Maybe Kassian wouldn't have been available in the offseason.

Maybe Gillis believes that Kassian is exactly what this team needs, and he was willing to jump at the opportunity to acquire him. Just have faith that he knows what he's doing.

We really don't know what was going on behind closed doors. For all we know Hodgson was the whiniest primma donna player in NHL history. Maybe Gillis couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Regardless, people have got to move on. We don't need to put extra pressure on Kassian by always comparing him to the great cody hodgson. Just support the guy and hope that he develops into the player he is capable of.

If Hodgson was the whiniest player in nhl history it doesn't deserve a knee jerk reaction.Gillis might of one the fight with Hodgson but he's lost the war.Gillis fed us the same nonsense that Kassian might not be available in the offseason but that could be said about every deal. It's not like we stole Kassian from the Sabres right?

To me it's a no brainer and I can't believe we didn't get Foligno for Hodgson.

That deal would of made more sense for the Canucks and probably would of helped out in the short term and long term.

If Hodgson was the whiniest player in nhl history it doesn't deserve a knee jerk reaction.Gillis might of one the fight with Hodgson but he's lost the war.Gillis fed us the same nonsense that Kassian might not be available in the offseason but that could be said about every deal. It's not like we stole Kassian from the Sabres right?

Maybe gillis thinking is other teams would be going after him in the offseason where as at trade deadline less teams are willing to change their roster significantly for an unproven player.  I think for sure kassian would be available at year end he wasn't doing nothing there with wateva ice time he got while foligno was a beast he fights n hits pretty good.  And he racked up some points.  My opinion is that if hodgson would of stayed he probably would of got more points than playing for sabres.  His trade value would have been alot better if that was the case

To put a little eperspective on this dea,l my friend, an oilers fan came up to me a few days after the trade and was like, " Dude the canucks got totally fleeced", so I told him i didnt thinks so and asked him whether in a couple of seasons he would rather face the canucks in the season or playoffs with Kassian or Hodgson on the second lines, He changed his views about the trade on the spot

Of course this is just one scenario considering both players would be on the second line, only the future will provide the answers on whether this was a good trade or not

Time will tell...

The thing is, if a player like Kassian had as many points as Hodgson did last season he would be worth way more because of the type of player he is. Power forwards with a nasty side to them are the most coveted players in the league. And once they develop, they're almost impossible to get from other teams.

That's why it seems like Gillis overpaid on paper. Because it's based on the potential of each player. Gillis is taking a gamble that Kassian will become a dominant power forward. And if that happens, he will become one of the most valuable assets we have.

Basically if both of them reach their potential, we win the trade.

Canucks fans really never learn do they?

Does anyone else find it ironic that only a season ago fans were writing off Hodgson and saying we should trade him? Now everyone's already writing off Kassian as a 21 year old.

Stop being so damn impatient with our prospects.

Archived