The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kassian Or Foligno If You Could Do It Over Again?

Italia2006

That is if Hodgson turns into an average player like a Higgins.I think Hodgson could turn into a Yzerman or Sakic type of player and if that's the case I think that kind of player has more value. Hodgson scored some big goals for the Canucks this year and is suppose to be a leader. That's very hard to find in a player. Those kind of guys don't come around all the time. I believe his value was higher than what we recieved in return. We're not looking to rebuild the Canucks, we're looking to win a cup now right? We could of done a deal with St.louis this offseason to get a powerforward with a nasty streak in Stewart.

I don't think you were paying very close attention to be honest - and if you were, you might have noticed that Lapierre started hitting far more frequently when he was playing with Kassian - that was no mere coincidence.

Aside from that - if you can show me a post at the time of the trade where you were calling for Foligno as opposed to Kassian, I would take this thread a little more seriously.

I am happy with every aspect of the Hodgson trade - if anyone says they expected 6 goals from Foligno to end the NHL season they would be lying, including the Sabres themselves - no doubt even they were pleasantly surprised.  But to expect that to be an indication of what to expect in the future would probably be a pipe dream.

The idea that Gillis failed because he did not acquire Foligno is nonsense - show me one person who argued that at the time of the deal - and beyond that, hindsight is 20/20, but still there is very little to go on.

Love the Kassian deal.  No hindsight complaints here.

That is if Hodgson turns into an average player like a Higgins.I think Hodgson could turn into a Yzerman or Sakic type of player and if that's the case I think that kind of player has more value. Hodgson scored some big goals for the Canucks this year and is suppose to be a leader. That's very hard to find in a player. Those kind of guys don't come around all the time. I believe his value was higher than what we recieved in return. We're not looking to rebuild the Canucks, we're looking to win a cup now right? We could of done a deal with St.louis this offseason to get a powerforward with a nasty streak in Stewart.

Ok now the screws are starting to work loose.  Those are two of the best two-way players of all time - Hodgson is a slow, soft, liability in his own end who has shown nothing to indicate that he is a player to compare to Sakic or Yzerman - and where leadership is concerned, he showed nothing like leadership qualities - expecting more ice time as a rookie playing behind all world centers was the opposite of what you would expect from a young future leader.  He insulted the veterans.  The idea that he has "leadership" qualities is another ridiculous premature overstatement that was made all too often about him.  Future captain ppppffffttt.

If you remember what Gillis said about Hodgson when he was drafted, he called him a "leader and he has a very high hockey iq". I don't believe when I watched Yzerman or Sakic had great speed. They scored timely goals and had great shots. Last time I saw Hodgson on this team he had a great shot and could snipe. Also how many times did he score either the tying goal or game winner.Go read and see what the pro scouts where saying about him at the time.Plus Cody has won at every level. Pat Quinn was raving about him.

I knew nothing about either player and when the trade took place I was chocked that they gave away Hodgson. I thought give it some time people are saying he could be like Lucic.I'm sorry but I saw Kassian hit periodically and not out there hitting everything in sight. He was given many chances on different lines and dissapointed. Yes he may turn out to be a good or great player. I don't want to wait for that. Gillis said that this deal was this best deal for our team to win now. Really?I totally disagree with him.I didn't expect Kassian to come in and play like Backes but I did expect him to go out and pound people like Torres. I saw that happen on the odd game. Please don't tell me he did that on a consistent basis because we're kidding our selves.The only hope is that he turns out like Gillis hopes he turns out and I would not be shocked if he goes down to the Wolves and take time in his skill set.People would be pissed if that happened.

If you remember what Gillis said about Hodgson when he was drafted, he called him a "leader and he has a very high hockey iq". I don't believe when I watched Yzerman or Sakic had great speed. They scored timely goals and had great shots. Last time I saw Hodgson on this team he had a great shot and could snipe. Also how many times did he score either the tying goal or game winner.Go read and see what the pro scouts where saying about him at the time.Plus Cody has won at every level. Pat Quinn was raving about him.

All Kassian has to do is play the same way he did in his first 3 games as a Nuck. If he does that consistently, he'll make a bigger impact for us than Hodgson will for the Sabers, even if the latter scores 60 points.

Don't mind the trade even in the slightest.

All Kassian has to do is play the same way he did in his first 3 games as a Nuck. If he does that consistently, he'll make a bigger impact for us than Hodgson will for the Sabers, even if the latter scores 60 points.

Don't mind the trade even in the slightest.

Cody Hodgson a proven 40 goal scorer and future 100 point superstar. Our prized 1st round pick for some bum 4th round pick.

That would have gone over so well.

CDC would've fired MG 300 times before the day ended and then started 500 threads about why we didn't get Kassian instead.

Listen pal, Kassian was being compared to Lucic and other big guys. He's not even close right now.So please don't tell me to stop talking.Hodgson has the skill set and potential to be an Yzerman or Sakic type of player. I'm not saying he's like them right now.Maybe you missunderstood me.

Archived