Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
- - - - -

[Article] Alex Burrows: Olympic Hopeful (...right?)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

#31 bd71

bd71

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Just as an addendum: Draper's NHL stats in the seasons he was chosen for the 04 WCH and 06 Olympics (didn't even realize he was also there for the Olympics): 40 points in 67 games and 32 points in 80 games. Zamuner in 97-98: 26 points in 77 games. I realize that these players had better defensive reputations than Burrows has now, but I think Burr is underrated as a defensive forward and he is similar, if not superior, to these two players in many ways.

You are going in the right direction but the player that I think Yzerman will target for that role is Brad Marchand. That is probably not going to be popular around here but he is really young, solid defensively and puts up pretty good offensive numbers for a young player.

#32 TotesMagotes

TotesMagotes

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,274 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

All depends on the start to his 2013-14 season. Lets face it, pretty much all the players getting selected will depend on how well they're doing at the time except for maybe Stamkos and Crosby.

If Burrows has 20 goals by December....it would be pretty ridiculous to leave a role player like him off the team.
Posted Image

#33 Jimmy.crack.corn

Jimmy.crack.corn

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,132 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:42 AM

Imagine the game is tied with 1 min to go and the top 9 are gassed. Would you ice Thorton or Burrows? I'd take Burrows.

Neither of them are going to make the team and how would the top 9 players all be exhausted. It's the Olympics and if Crosby has a minute and a half of sitting on the bench I would like to think he will be ready to go back out there...
woooo no sig!!!

#34 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Funny, the Canucks can't buy a right handed D?

Back to topic, role considered, you would have to remove either Eberle or Nash if this was the list. I would invite him to camp and make him outplay them in the desired role. Depends how seriously they take it, and whether they put in the effort. Their role to loose...?

Neal Crosby Stamkos

Tavares Giroux Perry

Benn Toews Eberle

Staal M.Richards Nash

No wayyyyy. Hamhuis is quite likely though because other than Keith we have no left-handed stud d-men. Doughty, Weber, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Letang, Wideman, Green, (Subban?), Boyle are all right-handed.

#35 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Just as an addendum: Draper's NHL stats in the seasons he was chosen for the 04 WCH and 06 Olympics (didn't even realize he was also there for the Olympics): 40 points in 67 games and 32 points in 80 games. Zamuner in 97-98: 26 points in 77 games.  I realize that these players had better defensive reputations than Burrows has now, but I think Burr is underrated as a defensive forward and he is similar, if not superior, to these two players in many ways.

Burrows was originally recognized because of his defensive play. Which is still every bit as good or better than when he broke into the league. Its his scoring that has come around of late. I don't think he is as good as Draper though. Maybe if he was a dominent faceoff guy like Malhotra to go along with his defensive play I would rate him equal to Draper. He is good enough, now, to play on Canada, but we will see how he looks in a couple of years. There are alot of players that could take "his spot" and nobody would think twice about it.

#36 bure's triple deke

bure's triple deke

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

You are going in the right direction but the player that I think Yzerman will target for that role is Brad Marchand. That is probably not going to be popular around here but he is really young, solid defensively and puts up pretty good offensive numbers for a young player.

Burrows was originally recognized because of his defensive play. Which is still every bit as good or better than when he broke into the league. Its his scoring that has come around of late. I don't think he is as good as Draper though. Maybe if he was a dominent faceoff guy like Malhotra to go along with his defensive play I would rate him equal to Draper. He is good enough, now, to play on Canada, but we will see how he looks in a couple of years. There are alot of players that could take "his spot" and nobody would think twice about it.

Great points here... Thanks for your input!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.