The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Alex Burrows: Olympic Hopeful (...right?)

bure's triple deke

Obviously the general sentiment is that Burrows is way out of his league when it comes to Canada's Olympic team and I completely agree. In terms of straight-up talent and ability, he's nowhere near the top 12 or 13 Canadian forwards. I guess the main point that I should have highlighted more explicity is that he has a slight chance for selection if you consider the precedent set by Zamuner and Draper in the 98 Olympics and 04 World Cup. Like I said, the real argument begins when you consider that Canada doesn't need the most talented 12 or 13 forwards; they need a team. And that includes natural grinders with some offensive touch. I think Burrows fits that description.

Like oldnews said a few posts above.. you look at guys like Heatley and Thornton.. their performances at the past Olympics were very lacking. Some players aren't able to play bottom-six minutes and still contribute... that's why you can't have the best 12 forwards.

Anyways, I fully expected my post to divisive, so all comments have been appreciated!

Just as an addendum: Draper's NHL stats in the seasons he was chosen for the 04 WCH and 06 Olympics (didn't even realize he was also there for the Olympics): 40 points in 67 games and 32 points in 80 games. Zamuner in 97-98: 26 points in 77 games. I realize that these players had better defensive reputations than Burrows has now, but I think Burr is underrated as a defensive forward and he is similar, if not superior, to these two players in many ways.

HAHAHA, Burrows is a product of the twins, and is a 3rd line grinder without them. He barely made the WHC roster, so what makes you think that he would make the olympic team? Although, i think that he might be able to make the diving team in London.

I would love to see him there but doubt it.

Burrows will be 33 by then. I suspect younger pics with more size will make that team. The day where big men were slower are gone.

For all those who think the Twins made Burrows have forgot that he and Kesler were the two young guys who picked that team up by the jock straps and established the fact that the Canucks wouldn't be push overs anymore. The Twins didn't! I suggest more consideration should be given to what Burrows did for the Twins game rather than vice versa.

Just as an addendum: Draper's NHL stats in the seasons he was chosen for the 04 WCH and 06 Olympics (didn't even realize he was also there for the Olympics): 40 points in 67 games and 32 points in 80 games. Zamuner in 97-98: 26 points in 77 games. I realize that these players had better defensive reputations than Burrows has now, but I think Burr is underrated as a defensive forward and he is similar, if not superior, to these two players in many ways.

All depends on the start to his 2013-14 season. Lets face it, pretty much all the players getting selected will depend on how well they're doing at the time except for maybe Stamkos and Crosby.

If Burrows has 20 goals by December....it would be pretty ridiculous to leave a role player like him off the team.

Funny, the Canucks can't buy a right handed D?

Back to topic, role considered, you would have to remove either Eberle or Nash if this was the list. I would invite him to camp and make him outplay them in the desired role. Depends how seriously they take it, and whether they put in the effort. Their role to loose...?

Neal Crosby Stamkos

Tavares Giroux Perry

Benn Toews Eberle

Staal M.Richards Nash

No wayyyyy. Hamhuis is quite likely though because other than Keith we have no left-handed stud d-men. Doughty, Weber, Seabrook, Pietrangelo, Letang, Wideman, Green, (Subban?), Boyle are all right-handed.

Just as an addendum: Draper's NHL stats in the seasons he was chosen for the 04 WCH and 06 Olympics (didn't even realize he was also there for the Olympics): 40 points in 67 games and 32 points in 80 games. Zamuner in 97-98: 26 points in 77 games.  I realize that these players had better defensive reputations than Burrows has now, but I think Burr is underrated as a defensive forward and he is similar, if not superior, to these two players in many ways.

Archived