The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sluttalk Vancouver 2012

Equality could suggest that since some women are regarded as respectful (those who dress conservatively, aren't sexually active), then the other women should also be regarded that way. I am fine with this line of thinking. However, equality could just as easily suggest that if men are regarded as sex-crazy, shouldn't women be regarded as such as well? Lol just a random thought...

Its tough to combat looks-based profiling because we are raised to use it as much as possible, (even the moment of birth we discriminate by identifying everyone as either mom or not-mom). Immediately upon looking at someone our minds will approximate their age, ethnicity, gender. We will look for clothing-based clues about them, what they are wearing will give you clues about their role in society. Anyone who wears a uniform or sports jersey understands this. It isn't right to judge based on looks, but there are enough instances in society where we do this that we end up learning to discriminate automatically.

So its not right, but its also not going away any time soon. There are a couple different ways to deal with those facts. We can talk about how unfair it is, or we can look for ways to minimize how it may hurt us. The clever people in society, imo, will adapt. This is why people dress up for job interviews and first dates, why you aren't allowed to wear pajamas to work, why celebrities have stylists, these people all want to take advantage of the environment around them, they want to adapt and thrive, rather than be left out in the cold.

Discrimination creates a difficult climate, some people adapt to that climate, others attempt to change the climate itself.

I think this is why there is such a split on this issue, some people really admire adaptability. Imagine someone who loves to smoke, and they get lung cancer, if they don't adapt (quit smoking) they will die. There are other people who admire those who refuse to adapt and stick to their principle. This wouldn't work with a climate that is unchangeable (such as, smoking causes cancer) but certainly no one would have wanted African Americans to simply 'adapt' to being slaves back in the day, or they may still be slaves today.

So while I think that discriminating against 'sluts' is wrong, and I don't stand for it, I do admire those in society who adapt to a difficult climate, these people may not be standing up for what is right, but they sure are smart enough to get what they want out of the world. There is a sense of respect I have for those who attempt to change the climate itself, but in my opinion its a tough fight.

So it's ok to treat a guy dressed in flannel and blue jeans with a John Deere tractor cap on as an illiterate hillbilly regardless of the fact he has an MBA?...... Gotcha.

So it's ok to treat a guy dressed in pink shirt and skinny jeans with gelled hair like he is gay (oh no!!! :shock:) when maybe all he has is an eclectic taste in fashion?....... Gotcha.

So it's ok to treat a guy with an 18-inch purple mohawk, piercings in his nose, lip and eyebrow, chains hanging off his jeans and two full tattooed sleeves like a brainless punk regardless of the fact that he is working on his doctorate in cancer research?...Gotcha.

So it's ok to treat a leather-clad bearded biker riding a Harley as a Hells Angel thug despite the fact that he is a well-respected lawyer working for the civil liberties of others?.....Gotcha.

So it's ok to treat a guy with purple-black hair, dark eyeshadow, black-painted fingernails like a mindless moron despite the fact that he is a piano prodigy?.......Gotcha.

Yeah, of course women should know better than to dress provocatively so they aren't deemed a 'slut' by moronic little boys who would give anything to get in her pants anyway....... the hypocrisy is mindboggling. :rolleyes:

If a guy is dressing that way even if it doesn't seem to match who they really are then go ahead.

IE if a total douchebag is wearing a suit go ahead and treat him as someone worth of respect if you want. Or get to know the guy and find out if the clothes match the personality.

But either way if a guy is dressed in a certain way it IS because that's how they want to be treated.

Wrong - the Bible teaches us about the bad things we have done - that's all.

The real issue is - we are still doing it.

"Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it".

Christian society? Really? I guess there's a "I hate Chritians" society as well...but that would be over generalizing...

I agree, men have treated (and still do) woman poorly.

BTW, here's what else the Bible teaches us:

Galatians 3.28

There is no longer Jew or Greek, there is no longer slave or free, there is no longer male and female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

So, "Christian" men that may, as you say, treat woman as inferior in any way, are not really Christians and/or haven't read Galatians 3.28.

you have to be the most sensitive to criticism poster on this entire board.you should have put a link to the webpage you got it from, it's just common internet etiquette, and it'll avoid you getting minor criticism for you to overreact to in the future (though i have a nagging suspicion you love that stuff).

i prefer to use common courtesy, which i believe is not to attack someone for the way they present information . i do not love to be derided in any way , and apart from a couple of times where i have lost my cool {then apologised afterwards },i do not attack others , i might have a go at the information they present , but i do not attack the person who presents it .

how would you feel if society called your unmarried mother a slut , then an institution {the catholic chuch } took her and closeted her away till she had her baby and then drugged her until she signed the adoption papers ? this is what happened to my biological mother and 50,000 other unmarried teenage girls between 1958 and 1972 in my country , and that is one of the major reasons why i am so passionate and angry about the fact that some men for whatever reasons they may have call a woman a slut

and the OP is talking about an organisation that is trying to combat the idea that the victim of a rape is responsible for that act because she is a "slut" and i am sugesting that this idea of a woman being a slut has it's foundations in religious teaching's and as far as i am concerned the way some christians and muslims treat women is a crime against humanity .

Archived