Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 4 votes

What If Burrows Never Scored In Game 7 Ot Vs Chicago 2011?

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:46 PM

POPULAR

Where would we be today? Maybe some will say this is as pointless as all the 'Cody' threads that keep popping up. After all we DID go to the finals and nearly became champs. Then again, we were one shot away from it all being snuffed out. Our team DID carelessly put themselves in that position. So bear with me here.

My point in making this post is to ask CDC to fairly evaluate our team. Are we a true Stanley Cup contender (a team that can make several runs to the final) or are we simply a regular season 'paper tiger' and just kidding ourselves?

First AV......... That one goal saved his job. Surely AV would have been let go after 3 straight playoff losses to Chicago. Especially after blowing a 3-0 lead. If not, surely this year's first round exit against LA would have sealed his fate? And yet he'll most likely be back again.

Luongo would have never redeemed himself by going toe to toe against Pekka Rinne in the Nashville series. He'd simply wear the goat horns for being terrible in games 4 and 5 vs Chicago. In addition to being on his belly when the OT winner was scored on him in game 6 after losing the starting job to Schneider. He'd be a guy who's never been past the 2nd round. .... He wouldn't get the free pass he got for his effort in games 1 and 2 vs LA this year (even though I thought he played fine). He'd be run out of town as a bum. Some would say this is happening regardless.

We never would have seen the Ryan Kesler 'beast mode' where he beat Nashville all by himself. In addition, he wouldn't have got hurt in the 3rd round. So maybe this year we would have seen the real Ryan Kesler, then again maybe we did and should just get use to it?

I could go on and on for each player but that would be far too long and really kind of pointless.

Where would Mike Gillis stand? What kind of heat would he be getting for assebling a team that lost to Chicago 3 straight years and this year to LA? Would there be calls for his head as well? What would you do with him? Two president's trophies don't buy you that much good will do they?

So I guess my question in closing is, did the Burrows goal give us an overinflated sense of where we really are? Are we really that close or did we simply cheat death and go on a nice run until the Bruins (and later the Kings) exposed us for who we are?

http://youtu.be/OmvkBkYGJZA

#2 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

POPULAR

AV would have been fired. That's for sure.

#3 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

The one good thing about this thread could have been hearing the slayed dragon call, but you couldn't even post a clip that included that call.

Swap Byron Leftwich and Tom Brady's situations. Today Brady would be a UFA or on the Roughriders practice roster, Byron Leftwich would have 100 more wins than losses.

:picard:

"Spirituality, faith and democracy are the corner stones of our country. We are all Patriots. And tonight, the Patriots are World Champions." -Robert Kraft

#4 swedishdomination

swedishdomination

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:51 PM

POPULAR

Daniel woulda scored it than.

Posted Image

Credit to 7thman for the sig

#5 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,784 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

POPULAR

Yeah, I have thought about this many times. I would think the MG would have made some big acquisitions last summer (July 2011) then just getting guys like Sturm, Mancari... and this years trade deadline.

If it wasn't for Luongo's save earlier it could have all ended. Remember: it was Burrows who took a penalty in OT just before he scored. Had Sharp scored all the blame would go to Burrows.

Posted Image

#6 PaulKariyaALH

PaulKariyaALH

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

Who gives a ****, we were never going to win the cup, and sucked the whole playoffs. We just got lucky to make it to the finals

#7 MoneypuckOverlord

MoneypuckOverlord

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,927 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:54 PM

POPULAR

Who gives a ****, we were never going to win the cup, and sucked the whole playoffs. We just got lucky to make it to the finals

woah, dude calm the frack down? Lemme guess... you bought some facebook shares????
November 20th 2013, Canucks just lost their 5th straight game. Last time this happened the Canucks, they missed the playoffs.

#8 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:56 PM

POPULAR

What if human's couldn't consume food?

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#9 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

If Chicago had won, there would have been a few changes, but we also never would have seen Kesler or Hamhuis (or others) injure themselves in the latter part of the playoffs. Maybe the team starts this season hungrier and fresher than they did. Maybe they are in the third round about to eliminate Phoenix right now. It's so hard to say.

It's almost like asking 'What if Otto never kicked it in?'
Posted Image

#10 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,784 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Someone create a new thread: What if both Gelinas & Lafayette had never hit the post in Game 7 vs. Rangers?
Posted Image

#11 Versace

Versace

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

No riot.

#12 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,888 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:07 PM

POPULAR

Kesler would've gone through 6 Hawks and Joel Quenvilles mustache to score the winner, he was possessed that night.

#13 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,161 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Burrows is still making 2 schmil per .Gratitude from the top is overwhelming.

#14 CIaude Giroux

CIaude Giroux

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

who are you?

34pxlzl.jpg

Thanks for the sig GoaltenderInterference!

#15 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

There's always 'Cabooster Juice' right?

#16 CIaude Giroux

CIaude Giroux

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,589 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

What if human's couldn't consume food?

Tube feed it straight to the digestive system

Edited by Kassian Bashian, 21 May 2012 - 09:20 PM.

34pxlzl.jpg

Thanks for the sig GoaltenderInterference!

#17 Caboose

Caboose

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,626 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:21 PM

There's always 'Cabooster Juice' right?

The hell is this about?

f54xok.jpg

Vintage Canuck

#18 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:23 PM

The hell is this about?

Tried to quote your earlier post about humans not consuming food. For some reason it didn't quote properly. Now you know. :)

Edited by nuckin_futz, 21 May 2012 - 09:25 PM.

#19 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:26 PM

If Chicago had won, there would have been a few changes, but we also never would have seen Kesler or Hamhuis (or others) injure themselves in the latter part of the playoffs. Maybe the team starts this season hungrier and fresher than they did. Maybe they are in the third round about to eliminate Phoenix right now. It's so hard to say.

So are we really as good as we think we are? Are we the team that nearly won it all and should be left alone to marinate a bit longer? Or are we the team that nearly blew a 3-0 lead, then a 2-0 lead in the finals, then bowed out to LA this year?

#20 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:38 PM

So are we really as good as we think we are? Are we the team that nearly won it all and should be left alone to marinate a bit longer? Or are we the team that nearly blew a 3-0 lead, then a 2-0 lead in the finals, then bowed out to LA this year?

Or are we better than this year's results?

There's also the possibility that had the Hawks scored instead MG may have fired AV and hired a worse coach. Or maybe he deals Kesler and it backfires. Or maybe it goes like I said in my previous post and they wind up winning the cup this year.

Big picture, they did beat the Hawks, and the Preds and the Sharks in a fairly dominant 3 rounds. If they had scraped by with a series of 1 goal and OT games in 7 game series, then barely made the playoffs this year, then I could hear where you are coming from. But they didn't. So I still think they have the majority of the right pieces in place (including the coach) to contend for the Cup again this year.
Posted Image

#21 Lychees

Lychees

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,931 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

POPULAR

What if you never made this stupid thread?

#22 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

What if you never made this stupid thread?

I've seen a lot worse.

Although, I am also pretty sure I have seen this thread somewhere before.
Posted Image

#23 meh_wassup

meh_wassup

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:50 PM

POPULAR

first and foremost, this is a very rare good post on CDC during the offseason. Valid questions you asked. I would think that MOST of the "core" guys would've gotten traded and gillis and AV both would've been fired because losing 3 years in a row to the same team is not acceptable, especially by blowing a 3-0 series lead in the last year. But are we truly a "cup contending" team? yes I really believe so because we have the elite goaltending needed (x2), we have the needed offense led by two of the finest players in the world, and we have good but not great defensive stature. To sum up, if Burrows hadn't scored that goal, HIDE YO WIFE AND HIDE YO KIDS CUZ EVERYONE WOULD GET RUN OUT OF TOWN!

5nofpw.jpg

ALL CREDIT GOES TO -VINTAGE CANUCK-

#24 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Or are we better than this year's results?

There's also the possibility that had the Hawks scored instead MG may have fired AV and hired a worse coach. Or maybe he deals Kesler and it backfires. Or maybe it goes like I said in my previous post and they wind up winning the cup this year.

Big picture, they did beat the Hawks, and the Preds and the Sharks in a fairly dominant 3 rounds. If they had scraped by with a series of 1 goal and OT games in 7 game series, then barely made the playoffs this year, then I could hear where you are coming from. But they didn't. So I still think they have the majority of the right pieces in place (including the coach) to contend for the Cup again this year.

I tend to agree with you. I think we are better than this year's results.

I do think this team is nearly good enough to win it all but they're not there yet. There are still a few pieces missing. For one the scoring completely drying up the last 2 series played is very troubling. There seem to be a few passengers on the team and you'll rarely win the cup carrying passengers. Some more mental toughness would be nice.

#25 captain_kirk1

captain_kirk1

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

what if we could have scored in game 7 of the SCF?

What if Lafayette didn't hit the post...(1994 reference for those who don't know who this is)..

what if, what if..pretty sure this has been discussed.

How about the future?

#26 goalie13

goalie13

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,882 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:55 PM

There are still a few pieces missing.

As long as they don't bring in Messier 2.0 and screw it up, I'm still optimistic about the next few years here.
Posted Image

#27 thad

thad

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:00 PM

Here's a better one....

What if the Olympic gold medal game went to a Shootout?

#28 mysticriver

mysticriver

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

What a night that was....*SIGH*

Posted Image

Sig/Avatar by ExpectoPatronum

#29 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:04 PM

As long as they don't bring in Messier 2.0 and screw it up, I'm still optimistic about the next few years here.

Don't even want to entertain that thought. Then again bringing in Messier and his coach of choice Mike Keenen set off an interesting chain of events that's still paying dividends today.

Messier in meant Linden out. Shipping out Linden gets us Bertuzzi, McCabe and Ruutu.

Bertuzzi later lands us Luongo. While McCabe is flipped in a package that brings the team the pick used to draft Daniel Sedin.

Thanks Mess.

#30 Arman_Canucks21

Arman_Canucks21

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

But he did, so what now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.