The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What If Burrows Never Scored In Game 7 Ot Vs Chicago 2011?

nuckin_futz

Where would we be today? Maybe some will say this is as pointless as all the 'Cody' threads that keep popping up. After all we DID go to the finals and nearly became champs. Then again, we were one shot away from it all being snuffed out. Our team DID carelessly put themselves in that position. So bear with me here.

My point in making this post is to ask CDC to fairly evaluate our team. Are we a true Stanley Cup contender (a team that can make several runs to the final) or are we simply a regular season 'paper tiger' and just kidding ourselves?

First AV......... That one goal saved his job. Surely AV would have been let go after 3 straight playoff losses to Chicago. Especially after blowing a 3-0 lead. If not, surely this year's first round exit against LA would have sealed his fate? And yet he'll most likely be back again.

Luongo would have never redeemed himself by going toe to toe against Pekka Rinne in the Nashville series. He'd simply wear the goat horns for being terrible in games 4 and 5 vs Chicago. In addition to being on his belly when the OT winner was scored on him in game 6 after losing the starting job to Schneider. He'd be a guy who's never been past the 2nd round. .... He wouldn't get the free pass he got for his effort in games 1 and 2 vs LA this year (even though I thought he played fine). He'd be run out of town as a bum. Some would say this is happening regardless.

We never would have seen the Ryan Kesler 'beast mode' where he beat Nashville all by himself. In addition, he wouldn't have got hurt in the 3rd round. So maybe this year we would have seen the real Ryan Kesler, then again maybe we did and should just get use to it?

I could go on and on for each player but that would be far too long and really kind of pointless.

Where would Mike Gillis stand? What kind of heat would he be getting for assebling a team that lost to Chicago 3 straight years and this year to LA? Would there be calls for his head as well? What would you do with him? Two president's trophies don't buy you that much good will do they?

So I guess my question in closing is, did the Burrows goal give us an overinflated sense of where we really are? Are we really that close or did we simply cheat death and go on a nice run until the Bruins (and later the Kings) exposed us for who we are?

Yeah, I have thought about this many times. I would think the MG would have made some big acquisitions last summer (July 2011) then just getting guys like Sturm, Mancari... and this years trade deadline.

If it wasn't for Luongo's save earlier it could have all ended. Remember: it was Burrows who took a penalty in OT just before he scored. Had Sharp scored all the blame would go to Burrows.

If Chicago had won, there would have been a few changes, but we also never would have seen Kesler or Hamhuis (or others) injure themselves in the latter part of the playoffs. Maybe the team starts this season hungrier and fresher than they did. Maybe they are in the third round about to eliminate Phoenix right now. It's so hard to say.

It's almost like asking 'What if Otto never kicked it in?'

If Chicago had won, there would have been a few changes, but we also never would have seen Kesler or Hamhuis (or others) injure themselves in the latter part of the playoffs. Maybe the team starts this season hungrier and fresher than they did. Maybe they are in the third round about to eliminate Phoenix right now. It's so hard to say.

It's almost like asking 'What if Otto never kicked it in?'

So are we really as good as we think we are? Are we the team that nearly won it all and should be left alone to marinate a bit longer? Or are we the team that nearly blew a 3-0 lead, then a 2-0 lead in the finals, then bowed out to LA this year?

Archived