The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Luongo Is More Important To The Vancouver Canucks Then Av.

pbcpanel

I know I will probably get flamed for this but in my opinion trading Luongo would be a mistake. I hear alot of people giving AV credit for the Canucks success but in my opinion Luongo should be given more credit.

AV and Luongo both came here at the start of the 2006-2007 season. That year Luongo had a career year and the Canucks went onto win the Northwest Division. He also took them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Yet when people talk about that year they don't talk about his success, they talk about the goal he let in in OT that got the Canucks eliminated in Game 5 of the 2nd round against Anaheim. People forget the picture that was floating around online of the Canucks Team Picture and Luongo was the only player in the picture.

The following season Luongo had a down year and it was no surprise the Canucks missed the playoffs. AV for whatever reason gets a pass for this year and I don't understand why. If he was such a great coach how come he couldn't coach the team into the playoffs in a year where Luongo was playing average?

In the 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 playoffs the Canucks lost both times in the 2nd round against Chicago. The first year for whatever reason AV had the Canucks trying to win 1-0 game after game after game and it cost them in the Chicago series, the 2nd year Chicago was just the better team and went onto win the Cup.

2010-2011 the Canucks not only won the Presidents Trophy but went to the Finals. Does Luongo get credit for taking the team to the finals? Does he get credit for registering, what was it, 4 or 5 shut outs? No he gets ripped for the 2 games against the hawks and 3 games in Boston where he got blown out. He didn't get any scoring support (8 goals in 7 games in the finals) yet it was all his fault for whatever reason. Kirk Mclean had some bad games in 1994's run to the finals yet he is treated like a God here...same with Richard Brodeur, he got swept in the finals in 1982 yet he is reveared in the city. Luongo on the other hand is always ripped.

This years playoffs, Luongo was probably the best Canuck in game 1 and 2 against the Kings yet that genius AV decided to play Schnieder. Its no surprise that this is the first time the Canucks lost in the first round under AV as all he could do was change goalies. Why bother putting sensible line combo's together? Why work on special teams? Why adjust to what the Kings are doing? I'll just change my goalie and that should be fine.

If this team wants to win a cup they have the goalie who can do it. His won at different levels yet for some reason people ask 'What has he won?' His won the Gold Medal right here in Vancouver during the Olympics, this team has won the division 5 out of the 6 years his been the # 1 guy. They won back to back presidents trophies with Lui as the # 1 goalie. They got to the finals with Lui as the # 1 goalie. Luongo is much more important to this team then AV.

I agree with you OP. People will only realize that the team needs a new direction when it's too late and the current roster begins the eventual downward trend in a player's production. Then we will have to rebuild and blah blah blah....

I know I will probably get flamed for this but in my opinion trading Luongo would be a mistake. I hear alot of people giving AV credit for the Canucks success but in my opinion Luongo should be given more credit.

AV and Luongo both came here at the start of the 2006-2007 season. That year Luongo had a career year and the Canucks went onto win the Northwest Division. He also took them to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Yet when people talk about that year they don't talk about his success, they talk about the goal he let in in OT that got the Canucks eliminated in Game 5 of the 2nd round against Anaheim. People forget the picture that was floating around online of the Canucks Team Picture and Luongo was the only player in the picture.

Luongo is easily the franchises best goalie and gets some unfair criticism as there are other goalies that have higher cap hits that performed way worse (Bryzgalov, Fleury etc)

What killed Luongo is in the past when he had a good game and the team lost he would seemingly throw player(s) or team under the bus whether intentional or not and for the last couple of seasons the team infront of him has been exceptional (granted little playoff success but 2 presidents trophies still says alot about the team) and he has started to develop somewhat lazy habits. Also aside from 2007, in my opinion, he has been really prone to coughing up the soft goal or not coming up with a big save when the team clearly needs it which in turn gets the guys in front of him playing drastically different and on top of that he also has a very nasty habit of basically giving up if 3 or 4 goals get by him which I think is a pretty pooey attitude to have.

Unfortunately in this day & age I think IF you have a good young goalie like Schneider you just have to try and make way for him and in this case it means moving Luongo.

He is still a damn good goalie who is capable of carrying a team on his back and honestly I think he plays a much better game behind a defense that is pretty shoddy and gives up 35 - 40 shots a night as it forces him to be at his best all the time as opposed to how this team is built.

Thats right, AV, just get out your board and draw some x's and o's that will lead to us beating LA. Sorry, this is not the NFL. It takes a lot of time to prepare a system, its either practiced and ready as an option before the playoffs, or its not an option.

I think Luongo was good this season but could have been better

I also think Schneider was good and can only get better

both Goalies were are best players in the playoffs

but I dont think AV is better than Lou or Lou is better than AV

Luongo is easily the franchises best goalie and gets some unfair criticism as there are other goalies that have higher cap hits that performed way worse (Bryzgalov, Fleury etc)

What killed Luongo is in the past when he had a good game and the team lost he would seemingly throw player(s) or team under the bus whether intentional or not and for the last couple of seasons the team infront of him has been exceptional (granted little playoff success but 2 presidents trophies still says alot about the team) and he has started to develop somewhat lazy habits. Also aside from 2007, in my opinion, he has been really prone to coughing up the soft goal or not coming up with a big save when the team clearly needs it which in turn gets the guys in front of him playing drastically different and on top of that he also has a very nasty habit of basically giving up if 3 or 4 goals get by him which I think is a pretty pooey attitude to have.

Unfortunately in this day & age I think IF you have a good young goalie like Schneider you just have to try and make way for him and in this case it means moving Luongo.

He is still a damn good goalie who is capable of carrying a team on his back and honestly I think he plays a much better game behind a defense that is pretty shoddy and gives up 35 - 40 shots a night as it forces him to be at his best all the time as opposed to how this team is built.

I don't think you can compare their importance considering one is a goalie and the other is a coach. They have both contributed greatly to the success of the Canucks; Luongo is a a GREAT goalie no matter what the doubters says and the Canucks only became good after he came along. AV is an awesome coach and I love his epic gum chewing causes its awesome, also, AV is the best Canucks coach the Canucks have ever have and maybe ever will have.

On another note, it's "he's" not "his"

I'm not bagging on Bobby Lu but there is a hugh difference in having the Canucks in front of him or having 20 of Canada's best hand picked players to represent their country in front of him.

Archived