The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Qestion About Bernier And Pyatt

Bauer1337

You're right about the not fitting into their intended role part but some players just don't play well in high-expectation markets where there's the pressure on them. I for one think it's nice to see them both play well on their respective teams.

Pyatt scored a $600,000 contract when he left the Canucks.

Bernier is on $525,000 this year. Isn't that the league minimum?

They were making more when they left here. Now they are the equivalent of Higgins who took a step back to reprove himself. Now that they are, I could see them getting more again...

I'm curious as to why we traded both these players? i understand both didn't suit the 1st with the sedins but why didn't we put them on our bottom six, wouldn't that have made sense?? big body's who can throw hits and chip in the odd goal while checking other top lines, or was this already tried? and what did we get in return for them??

I felt bad for Bernier, he just couldn't put it together and he never seemed to fit in our system as a bottom six guy; but it did notice that he turned his game up in the playoffs. I remember the couple of goals he notched against LA the first time around, and when we played ST Louis in 09. As for Pyatt, I think he needed the change after his fiancee passed away. Good luck to both of them

Steve Bernier was miscast as a top-six forward for the Canucks.

In his last season as a Canuck, when he returned in the playoffs after missing a significant amount of time with an ijury, he was an excellent forechecker against the Los Angeles Kings as a fourth liner. He was a fantastic fourth liner for the Canucks, but $2.5 million is just too expensive for a fourth liner and money needed to back the other way to fit Keith Ballard.

Thus he was dealt to the Florida Panthers where he was tried as a top-six forward again. It didn't work.

The New Jersey Devils are using him correctly again as a bottom-six forward and he's thriving as a physical winger.

They both stunk when they played for us.

They did not fit in the top 6 (or third line). We have too much depth. Presidents trophy talented team. They look good on other teams, becuase other teams are weaker.

They did not score enough. They did not use their size enough. They had a chance here and did not fit in. They did not finish enough chance, espcially playing with sedins.

Money spent better else where.

Good for them for playing well else where though. If they played for canucks for 700K then our expectations would be way lower.

They both stunk when they played for us.

They did not fit in the top 6 (or third line). We have too much depth. Presidents trophy talented team. They look good on other teams, becuase other teams are weaker.

They did not score enough. They did not use their size enough. They had a chance here and did not fit in. They did not finish enough chance, espcially playing with sedins.

Money spent better else where.

Good for them for playing well else where though. If they played for canucks for 700K then our expectations would be way lower.

Bernier!! Don't even get me started!!

I took a three week CDC suspension for publicly displaying my opinions on how he didn't fit in around here..

I learned how CDC members can troll you to the edge of anger and then make you break board rules and ultimately end up in the suspension penalty box..ouch!! (thanks trolls)

Oh well..he was shipped out soon after ..so I guess I got the last laugh...

Pyatt..he was okay..sad turn of events in his life..but he landed on his feet!!

Bernier!! Don't even get me started!!

I took a three week CDC suspension for publicly displaying my opinions on how he didn't fit in around here..

I learned how CDC members can troll you to the edge of anger and then make you break board rules and ultimately end up in the suspension penalty box..ouch!! (thanks trolls)

Oh well..he was shipped out soon after ..so I guess I got the last laugh...

Pyatt..he was okay..sad turn of events in his life..but he landed on his feet!!

Pyatt lost his fiancee to a tragic accident and it seemed like a change of scenery might be good for him.

I agree with what you are saying though - I have read a lot of comments disparaging both those guys because they did not turn out to be perennial 30 goal scorers - but they have both averaged about 15 goals a season over their careers, and Pyatt in particular is a very good back-checking two way player who is only a one milllion cap hit at this point. New Jersey signed Bernier for $525 thousand. Neither turned out to be first liners, but are good depth players.

Bernier was used as a piece in the Ballard deal - which certainly looked like a good acquisition at the time - despite all the hindsighters who endlessly complain about him.

Archived