The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Alain Vigneault's Contract Extended By 2 Years

Strombone1

Hmmm...he works well with our system? What is our system?

As you could see in our last half of the season and round 1 outing we have no solid "system" lol

"our guys" played so poorly in the PO's that we had to ask Daniel to come back and delay what most of us knew from the beginning. This team will not win the cup with this new core from gillis and especially with AV coaching.

My thoughts on the AV extension is that he will be a HUGE scapegoat for Gillis. If things do not progress as planned it will be Gillis jumping on AV right away to save his job for the bad trades and aquisitions

I ROFL'ed.

Id fire you in a second if you even dared compel shareholders with daft speculation.

Now with real business...you know like the Aquilini's owning the business of the Canuck's, it was a pretty darn good move to retain what has been putting $ in their pockets: AV/Gillis. Of course the reality is not that simple. You/we put $ in their pockets. If you do not support the business choices being made. You can always leave. Or wish for more of the Canucks past.

Have some cheese with that whine.

I love it. I can hear the boys at the Province moping and wetting their blankets for another season of their pissy 'journalism'...(on a certain level they are probably happy as hell, because now they have more to biotch about - otherwise, they'd have no clue what to write...) So were AV's days numbered after all?

There is no limit to the density of some of the opinions on here - to the point where people actually claim that AV makes the Canucks play boring hockey... I love that AV is a defense-first minded coach, and expects all his players to play responsible defensive hockey - but he has also obvioulsy compromised and modified his coaching style to accommodate some of the most entertaining, exciting hockey you will see in the NHL. AV allows his defensemen to jump into the rush regularly, he has his defensemen pinch with regularity - he certainly doesn't expect his forwards not to forecheck or drop five back into the neutral zone - he makes the Canucks a very exciting team to watch. You can't do those things (and expect to be successful) if you don't have forwards that are prepared and expected to backcheck hard, and a third man that is always watching what his d-men are doing. The Canucks strike a great balance between forcing the issue and making the game entertaining and high-paced, while playing a tight enough style, pressuring the puck and not giving up a great deal of space when not in possession of the puck. Very pleasing hockey to watch if you ask me, and I look forward to another season of it.

Guest BuckFoston

Respectable response, thanks; but this is a Canuck forum. We're happy to debate what makes the team successful or not. But it's annoying to have flamers come here just to cut people down. I have never once heard an opinion from you that suggests how to make our team better.

Admittedly, you have cut down on being crude, calling people morons, or idiots which you used to do a lot; but your still not offering anything to the conversation.

I like watching Brodeur play as well, but do not cheer for him when he comes to town. I recomend HF forums!

This is only my opinion, I think we will all have to agree to disagree on the the whole AV thing. I dont particularly like the idea of having him back and it seems to me that anyone who is happy about the return of AV hasn't suffered with this team long enough. I only say this because I dont believe that AV has the coaching prowess to guide this team to a Stanley cup. I know that we "got to game 7 of the final" last year, but we blew it after being ahead 2-0 losing 4 of the next 5 in embarrasing fashion. I almost thought AV would be fired after the final because he was still letting Luongo call the shots. What coach in his right mind would let his starting goaltender get lit up for 8 goals in a SCF game?

I personally would have liked to see a new voice in the locker room, I think the Canucks desperately need one. But I guess given AV's successes here the GM felt he deserved a second chance, which is fair enough. I just hope they keep AV on a fairly short leash, that's all.

We shouldn't have lost to LA. Yes their goaltender was hot but our goalies did very well too I thought--besides like 90% of our shots on Quick were perimeter shots. The 1st seed should be able to out-defend and out-score an 8th seed, period. It feels like the Canucks play WORSE at home, like they don't come out motivated for their home playoff games. The coach's job is to get these guys pumped and to get them to feed off the crowd. Instead the Canucks seemed to come out tentatively at home and we let the underdog, away-team take it to us. How embarrassing.

I think Gillis has discussed with AV what kind of changes he'd expect for next season, and the way he wants the young players to be used. Let's just give AV another year and see if anything changes, I'm sure Gillis has made at least a couple areas he'd like to see change.

Like said before, just because he's extended doesn't mean he can't be fired.

What a horrible move by the organization....

They better sack a good portion of the team (in lieu of removing one guy) or we mind as well just tank next year to get a good draft pick as we aren't gonna be winning a cup as is.

Team played bland, uninspired hockey for most of last year and eeked out a lot of close games and feasted on a weak NW division to inflate their point total.

So if the coach is staying, I hope to see no less than 5 roster players changed/added.

This is only my opinion, I think we will all have to agree to disagree on the the whole AV thing. I dont particularly like the idea of having him back and it seems to me that anyone who is happy about the return of AV hasn't suffered with this team long enough. I only say this because I dont believe that AV has the coaching prowess to guide this team to a Stanley cup. I know that we "got to game 7 of the final" last year, but we blew it after being ahead 2-0 losing 4 of the next 5 in embarrasing fashion. I almost thought AV would be fired after the final because he was still letting Luongo call the shots. What coach in his right mind would let his starting goaltender get lit up for 8 goals in a SCF game?

What a horrible move by the organization....

They better sack a good portion of the team (in lieu of removing one guy) or we mind as well just tank next year to get a good draft pick as we aren't gonna be winning a cup as is.

Team played bland, uninspired hockey for most of last year and eeked out a lot of close games and feasted on a weak NW division to inflate their point total.

So if the coach is staying, I hope to see no less than 5 roster players changed/added.

TSN Quotes of the Day. Calgary fan after learning Alain Vigneault is staying as the coach of the Canucks,

"Oh great, several more years of the Canucks almost winning the Stanley Cup"..

...and my rebuttal was "C-Tron - better than watching several years of the Flames almost making the playoffs!"

I don't think so, amongst your first responses you did exactly that with me. In a post where I called for Schneider to start game 1 to put Lou on edge, then give Lou the ball for game 2 and until he failed.

Nobody likes a hedge fund manager at their annual meeting regardless of how polite they are, or are not.

You must have me mistaken with someone else. I have argued plenty, but haven't called people idiots or made any crude remarks or cursed to high heavens in these forums. And while I have been reading these boards for a few years, I've only been an active member for a couple of months. Anyways, cheers.

now that the gum chewer is back lets focus on something like getting rid of mayray and ballard and let salo retire. then possibly the team could get someone on right wing or right D or both. and now that he's back its more likely none of the goalies are going anywhere for the time being, and we're gonna have the best duo since peanut butter and jam or batman and robin, or lmfao ace and gary. If AV gets it through his thick head and uses what the gm brought in for him to make the team better the team should be ready for a dynamite year. as for MG he needs to bring in a few things LIKE A GOOD RW AND A GOOD RIGHT D. Keep both goalies and rule the NHL.

this makes me really question Gillis ability as a GM. AV should've been replaced, bad bad bad move really bad move, if Gillis trades Schneider over Luongo then Gillis will be on a massive down hill. Stupid move. AV failed to get this team ready for the playoffs and let the team not play to their potential all season. Gillis is losing my trust, I think he has a hard time putting friends a side when it comes to business.

So despite being inflammatory what EXACTLY are you making for points???

Do you think the team we iced this year is going to win a cup next year? Hey we were one win away in 1994 too, we should bank on that moving forward.

F'ckin prick.

Archived