The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Alain Vigneault's Contract Extended By 2 Years

Strombone1

We were an average team yet we broke the franchise record for most wins in a regular season, at that time? AV was never an offensive minded coach nor did he play an offensive style that year. We had an all-star goalie, in his prime, a solid defense group, and a bunch of checkers on the team. Any coach who has a brain can put the two together and its logical to play a defensive style. It wasn't AV's brillant philosophies/strategies that made that team break the record. It was Luongo standing on his head every game.

You really think Chicago were miles-away better than us? The first year, both teams had 5 20+ goals players, we had two ppg players, while they had none. We had a future HoF'er as our 2nd line centermen. Our defense were more well rounded than theirs, and our goalie was an elite goaltender. The second year, we had an Art Ross and Hart trophy winner, a selke finalist, the # 1 ranked PP and PK, and 6 20+ goal scorers. It was a pretty even matchup, AV got outcoached by the other man.

As someone who has watched and cheered for this team since Barry Wilkins scored the first goal I can say with some authority that all you AV MG haters out there have NO idea how bad this team has been in the past. I have seen it all and believe me this is the best times this team has ever had. We have been the best team overall for 4 years and yes I know we haven't won the most difficult trophy in sports to win. However this year and in the past years 29 other teams are disappointed and fans blame anyone who is convenient. You can pi$$ and moan about perceived mistakes regarding young prospects who "needed more playing time" but in the cases of people like Shirokov Grabner etc the fact was /is they are not good enough... all fans tend to overrate their prospects and then when they are proven shift the blame to scouting etc. the fact is this is the best of times for this team and AV is a good choice to continue. the only one I would replace him with would be Babcock or Bylsma . Enjoy what you have because for the first time we have consistency and a chance to reload instead of always trying to rebuild ( Hello Brian out there in TO)

Guest Dasein

Remember what we did after 1994...You'd think fans would learn from that experiment but sadly no.

We are SO close. We are NOT blowing this team up and relying on free agents, prospects and a new coach.

We live and die by this core group because that's the best we'll have for the next little while. We just have to build the best support group possible to go all the way.

That year both Minnesota and Calgary were in the playoffs. Minny were only 1 point behind us and Calgary 8. So no, that wasn't a weak division.

Actually I do hear sometimes, that was a great win, because of the coach.

Coaches can motivate/tell his players to counter the opposition tactics during intermissions, that's how coaches can win a game for the team. So far, in the playoffs, we haven't seen AV do that.

I just don't understand his incessant need to play players who are off their game and benching players or demoting players who are doing well?? It really is a wonder how they did so well, although, I believe Hodgson did probably help in that regard...the player we ultimately traded before the playoffs...as it was quite obvious AV had issues with him.

Its interesting that you brought up the first Chicago series. I personally thought it may have been our best team? But expectations were not as high, it did not get talked about. Really, its also the only true time where, perhaps, Lou could honestly blamed for choking & it truly cost us. Luongo let a bad goal in when were up in the series, suddenly they got their confidence, got back in the series & then Lou laid a stinker in the finale'. And Chicago was a brilliant team, had we won I believe we would have had the cup!

Yes Lou was bad in Boston for away games, but stood on his head 3 home games. Game 7 he was far from brilliant, but we did not score a goal so how could you blame him?

We were an average team yet we broke the franchise record for most wins in a regular season, at that time? AV was never an offensive minded coach nor did he play an offensive style that year. We had an all-star goalie, in his prime, a solid defense group, and a bunch of checkers on the team. Any coach who has a brain can put the two together and its logical to play a defensive style. It wasn't AV's brillant philosophies/strategies that made that team break the record. It was Luongo standing on his head every game.

You really think Chicago were miles-away better than us? The first year, both teams had 5 20+ goals players, we had two ppg players, while they had none. We had a future HoF'er as our 2nd line centermen. Our defense were more well rounded than theirs, and our goalie was an elite goaltender. The second year, we had an Art Ross and Hart trophy winner, a selke finalist, the # 1 ranked PP and PK, and 6 20+ goal scorers. It was a pretty even matchup, AV got outcoached by the other man.

Archived