The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Alain Vigneault's Contract Extended By 2 Years

Strombone1

He needs to let the kids learn from their mistakes when they are playing on the team. Not one mistake and bench their ass to the pine. It is the regular season where you have to learn to put trust in your players and hope they are able to prove you wrong.

How many times have we heard the likes of players like Kesler say it's all about confidence? Crushing a kid's confidence after one mistake is not a great way to help build their confidence in being a better player.

This is the nail in the coffin for the core of this team. The Sedin's won't win a cup with this guy in charge.

Who cares about regular season success? I would give up 100 President's Trophies for 1 Stanley Cup.

AV has only won 4 of his past 12 playoff games. In those 12 playoff games we were only able to muster 16 goals while the opposing teams have scored 35 goals on us. These are the only stats that matter.

He can't get it done in the playoffs when it really counts. He gets blatantly outcoached by guys with more experience, intelligence, and ability to take risks with their lineup. We should have moved forward with a new coach this summer. Sadly, MG has signed his own walking papers aswell if this next season doesn't pan out...

This is the nail in the coffin for the core of this team. The Sedin's won't win a cup with this guy in charge.

Who cares about regular season success? I would give up 100 President's Trophies for 1 Stanley Cup.

AV has only won 4 of his past 12 playoff games. In those 12 playoff games we were only able to muster 16 goals while the opposing teams have scored 35 goals on us. These are the only stats that matter.

He can't get it done in the playoffs when it really counts. He gets blatantly outcoached by guys with more experience, intelligence, and ability to take risks with their lineup. We should have moved forward with a new coach this summer. Sadly, MG has signed his own walking papers aswell if this next season doesn't pan out...

I never said he ruined anyone. Having a coach's confidence for a young player is extremely important for their mental game. He did it with Hodgson countless of times before he was traded. (this coming from a poster who was for the trade btw.)

Point being is people say what's the difference between Babcock and AV? That's one of them.

AV became the Canucks' headcoach for the 2006-07 season. Bieksa played his first complete season that year, Kesler was at his sophomore year, Burrows first complete season, During that season Edler played first 22 NHL games in his carrer, during that season Hansen made his NHL debut in the playoff. I think he made a really good job with those guy. You talk about confidence, if it wasn't of Vigneault, maybe Burrows would have never played a game in the NHL.Take a look at what he have done with Maxim Lapierre, he was good under Carbonneau in Montréal, when he have been fired, Lapierre career was going nowhere, have been traded 2 times in 3 months if my memory is good, Lapierre, under AV get back his confidence and he's usefull to our team. In my mind he is doing a great job with a guy like Tanev.

I never said he ruined anyone. Having a coach's confidence for a young player is extremely important for their mental game. He stapled Hodgson to the bench countless of times before he was traded over one mistake. (this coming from a poster who was for the trade btw.)

Point being is people say what's the difference between Babcock and AV? That's one of them.

All 3 of those players play his way, even when they play like crap they get rewarded with more ice time. He didnt even let Ballard become one of our more important defencemen, constantly sitting him out. Ballard should have been on the 2nd powerplay unit, any bonehead would know that. He did the same thing to Kassian at the end of the season. He has to understand players play different styles and are better playing that way instead of his way. Im scared hes gonna ruin Kassian,Schroeder,Connaughton etc just like he did to Cody Hodgson. This guy is not an NHL coach, he's an AHl coach at best, most likely a junior coach.

I am more and more convinced that the AV haters are not coming from a place of reason or logic, but want change for the sake of change. All I see are comments like "Damn! Now the team is ruined" or "There goes the window for this core". It's ridiculous. What I DON'T see, are actual, legitimate reasons for the amount of hate he gets. He benched Ballard and Hodgson (the guy they "built up" so they could trade because he was such a problem behind the scenes), and ... what else you got?

Countless division titles, two President's Trophies - which some of you seem to think is the equivilent of a participation badge - and one win away from a Stanley Cup. But you're right, he's clearly terrible.

I am more and more convinced that the AV haters are not coming from a place of reason or logic, but want change for the sake of change. All I see are comments like "Damn! Now the team is ruined" or "There goes the window for this core". It's ridiculous. What I DON'T see, are actual, legitimate reasons for the amount of hate he gets. He benched Ballard and Hodgson (the guy they "built up" so they could trade because he was such a problem behind the scenes), and ... what else you got?

Countless division titles, two President's Trophies - which some of you seem to think is the equivilent of a participation badge - and one win away from a Stanley Cup. But you're right, he's clearly terrible.

Kinda tired of the flawed 'he ruins prospects' argument when the last 'sure thing' prospects we've had were the freakin' Sedins, who took eons to grow into solid NHLers under the old administration.

Heads up: They don't make the team in their first camp? Then they're not that great a prospect in the first place. Regards.

TOML

Kinda tired of the flawed 'he ruins prospects' argument when the last 'sure thing' prospects we've had were the freakin' Sedins, who took eons to grow into solid NHLers under the old administration.

Heads up: They don't make the team in their first camp? Then they're not that great a prospect in the first place. Regards.

TOML

What coach could replace what he brings to this team? Under A.V. this team literally skates circles around the other teams in the league, often even when we aren't even playing that well. More than half the league would kill to have him behind the bench. The apparent "struggles" of this past season still earned the team yet another lowly President's trophy and status as one of the highest scoring and best defending teams in the league.... yet again.

Not keeping A.V. on as head coach would have been a short sighted and dumbfounded decision. There is no better coach on the market for this team than him. Paul McClean, Dan Bylsma, and Mike Babcock are the only three coaches I can think of that could come even close to matching what A.V. brings to the Canucks and ironically all 3 of them also bowed out in the 1st round this year.

Under A.V. the Canucks have:

- won consecutive President's trophies

- made it to game 7 of the Stanley cup finals

- had the best performing team in franchise history

- ended the 2010-2011 season as the highest scoring and jennings winning team (one of only a handful of teams to do so and first time since the Habs did so 30+ years ago)

- broke the Red Wings recording setting home-streak

- defeated the defending Stanley Cup champions in their own building after they went two months without losing more than a handful of games

- won games even when our star players were injured or under-performing

- have consistently only been eliminated from the playoffs by the teams who go on to win the cup

- done all of this while continuing to be a high scoring, highly skilled and exciting team to watch in an era of hockey when very few successful teams are able to do so

We got beat out by a hot Kings team that have absolutely destroyed every team they have faced and have only 2 losses in 14 games against the 1st, 2nd and 3rd seeds in the West.

Canuck "fans" have it far too good. Anyone who says we'd be better off with anyone besides Babcock, Bylsma, Laviolette or McClean is crazy. Anyone who seriously thinks that MacTavish should be the team's next head coach is an idiot.

Archived