Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

[Confirmed] Alain Vigneault's Contract Extended By 2 Years

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
299 replies to this topic

#31 MashedBananas

MashedBananas

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,671 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:00 PM

I dunno why everyone hates this, i'm pretty happy
Posted Image

Sig Credit goes to Henrik Sedin

#32 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

awesome!!

now bring us the cup!!

#33 The Kassassin Train

The Kassassin Train

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,140 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

What's this about AV not being good with younger players?

Cody's camp was proven to be a bunch of whiners, AV did a good job showcasing him and getting us a special young player in Kassian in return for a guy who wanted to leave.

AV showed he is willing to play the younger guys when they are responsible and ready for their roles, e.g. Tanev.

Good signing.

He needs to let the kids learn from their mistakes when they are playing on the team. Not one mistake and bench their ass to the pine. It is the regular season where you have to learn to put trust in your players and hope they are able to prove you wrong.

How many times have we heard the likes of players like Kesler say it's all about confidence? Crushing a kid's confidence after one mistake is not a great way to help build their confidence in being a better player.

The key difference is that Sopel can fill in for Seabrook and Campbell just fine. Bieksa, he is garbage so in that sense he is like the worst defenseman in the league.

When Cody (Hodgson) gets older, he might be better than Datsyuk.

Let's not push this guy (Kassian). He's still immature, and if he fails on the 2nd line it's because he isn't ready. Some guys really need years to develop, it's how well and how fast players adapt to the game. In my opinion, I'd rather have Horvat getting 2nd line minutes. He will start off on the 3rd line next season but I see him making the transition, being a great compliment to whoever plays his wings.

At this point, I don't see Kassian fitting in to any role other than a 3rd. If players like Kassian start getting 2nd line minutes then we just stay inconsistent as a team.

The idiocy on CDC....

#34 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

Good news....Hopefully,MG and AV can recognize, and properly respond to the lacklustre ending of the season......It's better than the alternative,which is starting all over again with a new coaching staff.

#35 250Integra

250Integra

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,896 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

What's this about AV not being good with younger players?

Cody's camp was proven to be a bunch of whiners, AV did a good job showcasing him and getting us a special young player in Kassian in return for a guy who wanted to leave.

AV showed he is willing to play the younger guys when they are responsible and ready for their roles, e.g. Tanev.

Good signing.

Shirokov, Grabner, Hodgson..

Schroeder's next :(

naslundsig5.gif14326903821.giftowel.gif
Thanks for the Memories Canada!!!
Thanks for everything Naslund!
Original creator of the WWE and the Rate my sig / Showoff thread

#36 OurTimeToShine

OurTimeToShine

Otis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,801 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

He needs to let the kids learn from their mistakes when they are playing on the team. Not one mistake and bench their ass to the pine. It is the regular season where you have to learn to put trust in your players and hope they are able to prove you wrong.

How many times have we heard the likes of players like Kesler say it's all about confidence? Crushing a kid's confidence after one mistake is not a great way to help build their confidence in being a better player.

Who are these players that AV has ruined? Shirokov?

If I were to be complaining about AV, it would be his favoritisom, and lack there of in general(Raymond, Ballard, etc.)

Posted Image

Thanks -Vintage Canuck-!!!

#37 OilRigger89

OilRigger89

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Thank god!

I can understand some people wanting him gone, looking for a shake up/new face behind the bench, but you have to look at the bigger picture. Alain is one of the best coaches in the NHL that has lead this team to mulitple division championships, game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals, back to back president's trophys, the list goes on. Who did you guys have in mind of replacing him?

And if people actually belive that he "lost" the dressing room, I would bet a lot of money on the Sedin's or other members of our core going to Mike and telling him how they feel, and letting Mike know that it's time to move on. The boys wanted him back, if I remember correctly Kesler even said himself he wanted him back.

#38 skyfall

skyfall

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

And if people actually belive that he "lost" the dressing room, I would bet a lot of money on the Sedin's or other members of our core going to Mike and telling him how they feel, and letting Mike know that it's time to move on. The boys wanted him back, if I remember correctly Kesler even said himself he wanted him back.

I don't think he's lost the room.. he's got them listening but listening to the wrong things. It's like the blind leading the seeing.

#39 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Great, we get to see this turkey ruin more of our young players and play favorites. I cant wait until he tries to "set an example" during a game in which we're either tied, or need a goal, and he benches our best players for 1 mistake and plays the hell out of our 3rd and 4th lines, thats our coach, what a winner.

We're not winning a cup for a long time, the time is now and they bring this moron back, what a waste of the job Gillis did putting a contender together, the coach singlehandedly ruins all of that.

With the right coach, we would have won a cup by now.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#40 Tru_Knyte

Tru_Knyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,355 posts

Not too surprised, aren't many better coaches out there to replace him.
Posted Image

#41 King_Canuckian

King_Canuckian

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,285 posts

Personally, I'm not very happy with this, I think it will have a trickle-down effect to the rest of the team, starting with Luongo (he's probably gone). We can look forward to another 18 minutes/game of Raymond falling, Ballard being a healthy scratch, and letting the guys figure it out for themselves.

I don't think AV is the best coach available, or the one to guide the Canucks to winning the championship.

10055118.jpg

You don't understand anything, man. Leave your stupid comments in your pocket

#42 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

I was a proponent of parting ways with AV but I can live with this as long as Gillis has delivered a memo to him regarding changes that need to be made, specifically how young players are handled. Gillis, like the rest of us, is keen on some of these promising prospects making an impact in the NHL on ELC's but that can't happen if AV isn't cooperative and gives them a chance.

I know he's fond of Jensen so I can see Jensen getting a good shot in training camp. Schroeder also has to get a good, long look.

#43 Vansicle

Vansicle

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Not at all unexpected. Not what I would have wanted, but not a bad move at all. His numbers don't really lie.
I wish him and the Canucks great success in the coming years. I'm sure they will enjoy a few more good runs at the big prize. Hopefully they can take it all the way.

Snake Doctor, on 23 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:snapback.png

Miller is not on our list. It's Lack as our #1. There is no reason we would have traded both Schnieder and Luongo if we never intended to give Lack the #1 starting job.  Furthermore, the salary and term Miller is looking for is not in our favor.

#44 Honky Cat

Honky Cat

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

Shirokov, Grabner, Hodgson..

Schroeder's next :(

If you don't backcheck..you don't play...that's been AV's philosophy....Schroeder has worked very hard on his defensive game..hopefully,he'll make the Canucks this year.

#45 Jaimito

Jaimito

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,972 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

It will be the same term as Gillis'

Obviously Gillis and AV have discussed strategy going forward and came to an agreement. Likely we'll continue being a hybrid team that can adapt to all styles of hockey effectively, depending on player health.

Don't be shocked when Luongo isn't moved either. Cheers.

TOML

I don't expect lui will be traded.

AV is better than some of the alternatives out there now. Assistant coaches can need a change though
Posted Image

#46 Ginu

Ginu

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

That was expected tbh...

Next contract extension will be Mason Raymond...
Posted Image

#47 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

I don't have a problem with him coming back. Will be interesting to know the full terms of his deal.

I just wonder how short his leash is? If the team gets off to the usual October slow start how much rope does he have? You'd think much less than previous years considering the 1st round exit. Who would be available to replace him if it's needed in December. Then you're probably looking at MacTavish as any team in the market for a good coach will be doing their hiring this summer.

#48 rkyway

rkyway

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

Clueless owner, incompetent GM, average coach, terrible scouts, aging stars, wretched prospect list = inevitable decline.

#49 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:24 PM

Clueless owner, incompetent GM, average coach, terrible scouts, aging stars, wretched prospect list = inevitable decline.

Yeah but how do you really feel?

#50 cIutch

cIutch

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Loser
Posted Image

#51 Raph

Raph

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Winningest coach in franchise history and led us all the way to game 7 of the Finals.

I'm glad Vancouver fans are happy to settle for 2nd place and mediocrity.

#52 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

Great, we get to see this turkey ruin more of our young players and play favorites. I cant wait until he tries to "set an example" during a game in which we're either tied, or need a goal, and he benches our best players for 1 mistake and plays the hell out of our 3rd and 4th lines, thats our coach, what a winner.

We're not winning a cup for a long time, the time is now and they bring this moron back, what a waste of the job Gillis did putting a contender together, the coach singlehandedly ruins all of that.

With the right coach, we would have won a cup by now.

Which young player is it that he has ruined?

I keep hearing this crap from other people about how he ruins our prospects. Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa would all like to say HELLO! Plenty of players have developed under AV and more will as well. Bringing prospects along slow and steady and teaching and expecting defensive accountability is what has made Detroit successful and we are wisely following that model.
258bdr6.jpg

#53 DollarAndADream

DollarAndADream

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

I like AV, but he needs to give rookies a chance.

I didn't like what happened with Shirokov. Especially the game where he scored a goal, and then after that gets sent down to the AHL.

CoHo played better than many Canucks on many occasions but was shut down to the 4th and 3rd lines. Although maybe the reason for that was AV didn't like the fact CH didn't want to be here.

Edited by trav_have, 23 May 2012 - 12:37 PM.

x1vXIze.png
RIP LB/RR - Signature credit to JimLahey

small.pngCDCEHL

#54 rkoshack

rkoshack

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Another season down the drain...

#55 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Sorry haters.

The good news is, there are plenty of high buildings and bridges in the lower mainland area....
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

#56 Canucks_fo_life

Canucks_fo_life

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,621 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

Which young player is it that he has ruined?

I keep hearing this crap from other people about how he ruins our prospects. Kesler, Burrows and Bieksa would all like to say HELLO! Plenty of players have developed under AV and more will as well. Bringing prospects along slow and steady and teaching and expecting defensive accountability is what has made Detroit successful and we are wisely following that model.

All 3 of those players play his way, even when they play like crap they get rewarded with more ice time. He didnt even let Ballard become one of our more important defencemen, constantly sitting him out. Ballard should have been on the 2nd powerplay unit, any bonehead would know that. He did the same thing to Kassian at the end of the season. He has to understand players play different styles and are better playing that way instead of his way. Im scared hes gonna ruin Kassian,Schroeder,Connaughton etc just like he did to Cody Hodgson. This guy is not an NHL coach, he's an AHl coach at best, most likely a junior coach.
I rather lose with the Canucks, than win with any other team

This is OUR year

GO CANUCKS GOOOOOO!!!!!!!

#57 GSS Corp.

GSS Corp.

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:37 PM

I like this! AV's one of the best coach we ever had.
Posted Image

GO CANUCKS GO!!!

#58 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:40 PM

Good to hear!

#59 Evil Roach

Evil Roach

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:41 PM

Best coach in franchise history. I would hate to see him with the habs.

#60 RUPERTKBD

RUPERTKBD

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,210 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm glad Vancouver fans are happy to settle for 2nd place and mediocrity.

Seeing as it's already a foregone conclusion, you might as well stop following the team and cheer for someone who has a coach that you approve of.

Believe me, you won't be missed.
Orland Kurtenbach and Dennis Kearns had just been torched 8-1 by the Habs, but they still took time to come out to meet us, some fellow BC boys who were playing hockey in Montreal. THAT"S what being a Canuck is!

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.