The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Alain Vigneault's Contract Extended By 2 Years

Strombone1

This is the nail in the coffin for the core of this team. The Sedin's won't win a cup with this guy in charge.

Who cares about regular season success? I would give up 100 President's Trophies for 1 Stanley Cup.

AV has only won 4 of his past 12 playoff games. In those 12 playoff games we were only able to muster 16 goals while the opposing teams have scored 35 goals on us. These are the only stats that matter.

He can't get it done in the playoffs when it really counts. He gets blatantly outcoached by guys with more experience, intelligence, and ability to take risks with their lineup. We should have moved forward with a new coach this summer. Sadly, MG has signed his own walking papers aswell if this next season doesn't pan out...

Yet making one mistake you staple a rookie to the bench? While you have a guy in Raymond who has played 10 games and done jack squat and made three times as many mistakes yet you don't sit him?

Yeah that's the only thing he did wrong. Obviously you don't get the point.

If he

- changes up the team strategy, atleast a bit

- lets young players play, even if they make a mistake

- stop holding the players back and let them stand up for themselves

then I'm fine with him staying, otherwise I hope he's fired.

The Sedins have thrived under AV (back to back hart winners) .He came with in one game of winning the cup and if the NHL did not change the rules in the finals last year i thing you would be talking about our first cup .

This whole "out coached " garbage is annoying simply because you would not even know he was out coached .

Because he was benched after that game where he missed an assignment. It was right after he got beat to a puck. I remember the play clearly.

Nice rebuttal by the way.

You clearly don't see me say Fire AV, I said that he should manage our prospects differently. This right here ladies and gentleman is a clear point of how people jump to conclusions without reading the full story. Shall I refer you back to page 2?

I was going to leave this alone, but there is just too many things wrong with the statements you made.

"if the NHL did not change the rules in the finals last year i thing you would be talking about our first cup"

WTF? What are you talking about?

"This whole "out coached " garbage is annoying simply because you would not even know he was out coached"

In the Boston series and in the LA series we couldn't get any offense going. We were taking all of our shots from the outside. Our supposed checking line center, Pahlsson, didn't even match up against the LA's top lines. His refusal to put Kesler with a playmaker, continuing to put Hamhuis on the powerplay when he has zero offensive prowess, etc..The list goes on.

Awesome news!

We weren't gonna find a better coach out there.

But we'll still hear the following crap over the next few months:

But he's not good at developing young players....

But he can't adapt in the playoffs....

But he doesn't know how to motivate the players...

But he got Cody Hodgson traded...

But a coach hasn't ever won the cup after coaching for 6 years...

But he line juggles too much...

Response:

But he's the winningest coach in Canucks history....

Guest BuckFoston

Who cares if the players respect and like him? I would rather have a coach who Kesler absolutely hates but somehow motivates him and find's him the linemates to put up 40 goals again.

It's natural for players to like coaches who don't rock the boat or question a players routine. We aren't here to cater to the players' needs and make sure it is as easy and comfortable as possible for them to earn their multi-million dollar salaries. We need to push them to perform and better themselves and finally bring a Stanley Cup to Vancouver. That's it.

If that requires a new hard-ass coach that bag skates the players then so be it.

Prepare for maybe another Pres Trophy, but definitely no Cup. Definition of insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results. This is also the definition of a losing team.

Flame and defend all you want, but I guarantee you this will be the result. And I'm not a "hater" nor will I go and cheer for another team or whatever the bright ones suggest here. But I am a hockey fan and do like watching many other teams, so while the Canucks will hopefully provide some inspiring hockey during the regular season that I may even attend, once the playoffs come around I will look to my other favorite teams to get the job done.

With that said, just because he got an extension, doesn't mean he still can't get fired if the team performs very poorly mid season. Wilson got an extension at New Year's just to be fired a few months later, so anything is possible really.

In the Boston series and in the LA series we couldn't get any offense going. We were taking all of our shots from the outside. Our supposed checking line center, Pahlsson, didn't even match up against the LA's top lines. His refusal to put Kesler with a playmaker, continuing to put Hamhuis on the powerplay when he has zero offensive prowess, etc..The list goes on.

A couple things:

For a franchise with our history, being the "winningest coach in franchise history" isn't much to hang your hat on. There really isn't much competition there so this shouldn't be a determining factor in judging the quality of the coach.

On the other hand, the people complaining about AV's treatment of young players have a short memory. Burrows and Kesler were both rookies under his tutelage and Alex Edler developed under him as a very young player as well.

Archived