Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Lu's Bye Bye

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
129 replies to this topic

#121 RunningWild

RunningWild

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,185 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:16 AM

Running Wild, your AV-hate is showing.....

Wowsa, you stalking me? lol. Why would I hate AV? I don't even know the man. What he publicly stated just hurt his organization and put Gillis in an uncomfortable situation - that's a fact. It's not about liking or disliking someone.

Edited by RunningWild, 25 May 2012 - 02:23 AM.

#122 Westcoasting

Westcoasting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:57 AM

This thread is hilarious in some ways!! I do feel bad for the fans that are grasping on to the hope that Lou will not be traded... but i feel that it's been done and decided since the playoffs.

#123 nucklebucker

nucklebucker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

In the text, TVA quotes him as saying,

"C'est ce qu'il désire présentement."

That's what I hear. AV has a super strong accent and I trust TVA's french comprehension above my own.

Someone else provided this translation. It's not good. The first word--mais--doesn't exist in the statement. That's not what he said.
“”Mais si ce que lui presentment desire nous ce qu’on droit faire, ce qui est mieux pour notre organization…”
Thats what I can make out of the clip, he talks fast so its tough for me. Basically, he says “but if thats whats he currently wants, then what we must do is whats best for the organization."

What could be correct, however is the word "si" which means "if". C'est and si are hard to distinguish sometimes. I think he said "

"C'est ce qu'il désire présentement." The difference of meaning is huge. Yet

it's too hard to be certain.

#124 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

Gillis said on team 1040 av has went back and told reporters he "mispoken" gillis said he did not know why he said that, but av said he went back and corrected them and thats all mike knows is what av told him.

Edited by Ghostdivision, 25 May 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#125 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,758 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

Gillis said on team 1040 av has went back and told reporters he "mispoken" gillis said he did not know why he said that, but av said he went back and corrected them and thats all mike knows is what av told him.

Oh man. So maybe he really did mess up.

Come on AV. I figured if he did say it, it was by design to try and create a market for Luongo this summer.

Like someone else said though, I heard him say "si" which means "if". Opposed to some people who seem to hear "c'est", which means "this is".

Damn french is confusing. Even a guy who speaks it screwed it up. :lol:

Edited by DeNiro, 25 May 2012 - 12:23 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#126 Ghostdivision

Ghostdivision

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Oh man. So maybe he really did mess up.

Come on AV. I figured if he did say it, it was by design to try and create a market for Luongo this summer.

Like someone else said though, I heard him say "si" which means "if". Opposed to some people who seem to hear "c'est", which means "this is".

Damn french is confusing. Even a guy who speaks it screwed it up. :lol:

You were right in some ways. Quite a few people said the translation was wrong of the short clip.

This was a quote from someone who said the translation was wrong and this was why

"Learning french just isn't simply good enough to decipher what Vigneault is saying. You need to learn Quebecer french. At least for the short clip, the full video is about as unambiguous as it can get."

"Different dialects. I'm sure the wording of "en c'est ce que" is unfamiliar to many french speakers. Although, this could have all been avoided if Canoe/TVA had simply included in the short clip the part where AV actually says "Roberto has asked to be traded" but AV runs on for about a minute after that saying how the canucks have lost to stanley cup champions in the last few years and how he thinks LA will win it this year."

But the full video clip pretty much 4 french speakers are now in agreement its clear he did say roberto asked to be traded. Which gillis said he went back and told them he misspoke. Full video is 8 minutes. He speaks really highly of roberto in most of the clip saying the blame he receives is not deserved.

The small clip should not be looked at anymore now that the full video is available, everyone is quite confused why they chopped it up making it unclear, the confusion could have entirely been avoided.

http://tvasports.ca/...o/1654997315001

Edited by Ghostdivision, 25 May 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#127 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,780 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

I'm confused. Is now the time to start ripping for wanting to leave, rather than just ripping him for his shoddy play?

The Canucks should just make an official announcement on when is the right time to chastise a player for 'not wanting to stay.'

Meanwhile we can still rip the Canucks themselves for botching this situation. Or not. I'm confused. Bloody french.

TOML
Posted Image

#128 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Firstly, I bet AV denies saying this, and I might even believe him.

Second, Is this really privileged information? Luongo is a proud guy who is still an elite goaltender. AV sat him out in many big games this year. In Boston, in Chicago etc. Then he loses his starting job in the first round. He gets crapped on for the littlest things. Wouldn't you want out? He can go somewhere else and be a hero to the fan base like he was here for the first 3-4 years.

Kind of obvious isn't it?

I think the obvious part about him wanting out is true. I don't think guys like getting boo'ed off the ice at home by their own "supporters". When that happened I was ashamed to be a Canuck fan. I don't care if those people paid good money for their tickets, it was a classless thing to do. I don't think he minded the media writing articles crapping on him for every mistake. That is part of the deal and he understands their job is to sell paper's. I think it crossed the line when he got boo'ed off the ice in an unimportant game. Hopefully those classless people can't afford any more tickets or find another scapegoat.

#129 CanuckFan1981

CanuckFan1981

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

I'm confused.  Is now the time to start ripping for wanting to leave, rather than just ripping him for his shoddy play?

The Canucks should just make an official announcement on when is the right time to chastise a player for 'not wanting to stay.'

Meanwhile we can still rip the Canucks themselves for botching this situation.  Or not.  I'm confused.  Bloody french.

TOML

Why do you need to "rip" anyone? Maybe that is why Luongo wants out, sick of getting "ripped" by people that couldn't do his job half as well as him if they dreamed about it. The guy is in the top 3-7 goalies every year and basically saved our franchise from going down the toilet post Bert + Nazzy era. Nobody except Nazzy wanted to play in Vancouver until we got Luongo. Short term memory much people? Is he the best ever? Only in Vancouver, but in Vancouver he is the best ever by FAR! No disrespect to Captain Kirk and King Richard, but Luu is better and more consistent than either were in their days.

#130 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:58 PM

I would rather keep Luo any day of the week.

Added to the Gillis -and now AV- created nightmare is the fact Gillis cannot be seen to be in a compromised position.

Yet,he is.

Let the lowballing begin.

Great job,this Luongo handling from game 4 on.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.