The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Province Article On Ryan Kesler

B-town Canuck

Regarding Kesler's injury - on Feb 9 - I think it is pretty safe to say that he wasn't producing beforehand either, so that injury alone is not enough to explain his season - he has not been healthy, nor has he played the most intelligent hockey of his career - I agree that this is being blown out of proportion, as when AV suggested that he might use his linemates more - not a big deal.

The freakin media in this city, man, I swear they won't be happy until they tear this team limb from limb. Every quote is a controversy, every loss a reason to pursue their own agendas and personal views. Every transaction is an opening for guys like Gallagher and Willes to drive another wedge into their personal project, destroying the Canucks. Not necessarily connected to this Kesler thing...but I swear, these guys, Cole, Macintyre, they are the absolute worst. What are they trying to accomplish by these sorts of shenanigans? They're gonna tear it all down brick by brick if we let them, these clowns need to be run outta town. They all betrayed the team when we went to the Finals, they are enemies right there with Chicago and Toronto and the Canucks need to step up and toss these guys off their privileged perch. Let Mooney or someone who's a genuine fan take over the sportswriting.

His agent is overreacting too much.

I'm sure Kesler would be the first one to admit that his shoulder wasn't an excuse for his lack of production.

AV should really learn his lesson about not talking about players injuries though. He's not a doctor.

It's not as simple as many on here are making it out to be. Vigneault likely makes certain his players are good to go before putting them on the ice. I can't see him not pulling Kesler aside during his slump and asking if he was feeling okay. There seems to be a belief on this forum that AV just stands behind the bench and doesn't engage with his players.

I agree that the injury doesn't explain his lack of production. He lacked wingers that could score which put the pressure on him and he's likely a 25-30 goal guy more than the 40 goals he had in what will likely be his career year. If Gillis gets him wingers that can score and go to the net regularly, his points totals will go back up.

A lot of Canucks had off seasons and the long playoff run the year before likely played a role, but the team hasn't used that as an excuse.

For all the AV bashing going on, no one seems to have a plan other than firing him. Fire him for who? Fire Gillis if we fail to win the Cup this season for who? If every team was reactionary as fans seem to want them to be, no organization would have sustained, long term success. Look at the Devils. Last year they missed the playoffs and Brodeur was washed up, Kovy was a flop and Elias was getting old. Brodeur hadn't won a round in the playoffs for years and had looked bad in his past two playoff appearance. Now they are on the verge of going to the Finals. Good thing the Devils didn't blow the team up and they were near the bottom of the league last year.

It's not as simple as many on here are making it out to be. Vigneault likely makes certain his players are good to go before putting them on the ice. I can't see him not pulling Kesler aside during his slump and asking if he was feeling okay. There seems to be a belief on this forum that AV just stands behind the bench and doesn't engage with his players.

I agree that the injury doesn't explain his lack of production. He lacked wingers that could score which put the pressure on him and he's likely a 25-30 goal guy more than the 40 goals he had in what will likely be his career year. If Gillis gets him wingers that can score and go to the net regularly, his points totals will go back up.

A lot of Canucks had off seasons and the long playoff run the year before likely played a role, but the team hasn't used that as an excuse.

For all the AV bashing going on, no one seems to have a plan other than firing him. Fire him for who? Fire Gillis if we fail to win the Cup this season for who? If every team was reactionary as fans seem to want them to be, no organization would have sustained, long term success. Look at the Devils. Last year they missed the playoffs and Brodeur was washed up, Kovy was a flop and Elias was getting old. Brodeur hadn't won a round in the playoffs for years and had looked bad in his past two playoff appearance. Now they are on the verge of going to the Finals. Good thing the Devils didn't blow the team up and they were near the bottom of the league last year.

The freakin media in this city, man, I swear they won't be happy until they tear this team limb from limb. Every quote is a controversy, every loss a reason to pursue their own agendas and personal views. Every transaction is an opening for guys like Gallagher and Willes to drive another wedge into their personal project, destroying the Canucks. Not necessarily connected to this Kesler thing...but I swear, these guys, Cole, Macintyre, they are the absolute worst. What are they trying to accomplish by these sorts of shenanigans? They're gonna tear it all down brick by brick if we let them, these clowns need to be run outta town. They all betrayed the team when we went to the Finals, they are enemies right there with Chicago and Toronto and the Canucks need to step up and toss these guys off their privileged perch. Let Mooney or someone who's a genuine fan take over the sportswriting.

I'm concerned that there is going to be problems with Kesler and Vigneault going forward. Tony Gallagher drives me crazy. I have never really liked his commentary but it's hard to argue that he doesn't have some inside stuff. He was on the Hodgson situation early and he was bang on.

I really think with Kesler being so volatile there could be some fireworks going forward. This upcoming year is going to be very interesting. I think they could continue their winning ways but I also think it could get very ugly if they get off to a slow start as per usual. Could the locker room be divided? Could certain players start to want out? It's not likely but I do think it's possible. This core has been together a while with the same coach. This is a big year for Gillis and Alain Vigneault. Next off-season could make this one look tame if things break down this coming year!

Kesler is too much of an idiot to take himself out of the line-up when he's not healthy.

AV is too much of a puzzy to call the shots regarding Kesler.

Bad working situation. Just not good.

AV is absolutely horrible when it comes to injuries. This will be a carbon copy of last year.

The most important thing from all this is to simply stop listening/reading/subscribing to the media in this town, until they have intelligence and integrity.

Don't waste your time listening to the media's opinions or their inferred facts, and listen only to the actual statements. You can form your own opinion of how things are actually happening from that (you do that already anyway).

Kesler plays a rambunctious style of hockey. As long as he keeps doing that, he will be worn out and injured by the time the playoffs arrive.

If he's going to not put up points because of injuries, we won't be able to call ourselves a deep team because, once again, we'll be leaving all the offense to the Sedins.

I think he had an off year all together. He played through injuries in 2011 and was in beast mode all playoffs long despite his ailments. I just think he had a bad year like a lot of other players and he needs to reset and get back at it next season.

Was it right for AV to call him out like that? No

Is AV known for underestimating player injuries? Yes

But Kesler loves playing the role of wounded war hero. He loves letting everyone know that he's playing though pain. Every player on the team plays through pain. It's hockey - it's what you do. I like that AV keeps him honest and doesn't give him a free pass just because he was injured.

It could all be a fabrication by Gallagher.

But his articles usually have a thread of truth to them...even if it's thin.

AV's contract extension was enough to avoid him being a lame duck coach. But if things start to go downhill fast I think he's still on the hot seat to be fired. Especially if he's dumb enough to give the media this kind of ammunition.

Does he think he's going to win the battle if he forces management to choose between him and Kesler? No way!

It's extremely disturbing to me that AV is celebrating his contract extension by making a couple of ridiculous statements to the press about insider team stuff. He should know A LOT better by now.

Saying Roberto Luongo wants out? Saying Kesler's shot, and aggressive forecheck wasn't effected by a lingering shoulder problem? Yeah, most minor shoulder surgeries come with a 6 month recovery time.

Weird!

Is he just feeling his oats? Is he all "This is my team now!" Does he feel he's more important than the players?

I always thought it would be hard to fire AV because of his body of work. But, there is truth to the idea that players tune coaches out.

There were arguments to be made both for firing and retaining AV.

His actions after being rehired are just reminding me of all the things I already questioned about him. It's hard to say MG made the wrong choice by keeping AV as coach, but he just might have.

Archived