The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tampa Out Of The Luongo Sweepstakes

The Tampa Bay Lightning will be looking to make an upgrade in goal this summer, but it might not be with Roberto Luongo in their crosshairs.

Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman appeared on a Tampa Bay sports radio station on Thursday morning to discuss the team's offseason and suggested that his search for a No. 1 netminder might not happen through a trade as has been speculated.

"I think everybody's trying to find somebody that's an elite guy," Yzerman told 620 WDAE on Thursday. "I would say there's probably five or six elite goaltenders in the league and then there's a group of good goaltenders, and then there's a group of teams searching for that guy to lock up and not worry about for the present and the future.

"My philosophy is I'm trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We'll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency — that guy isn't there at this time."

Luongo, whose wife's family is from Florida, has long been discussed in trade speculation involving the Lightning since he told reporters at the end of the regular season that he would waive the no-trade clause in his contract if he was asked to.

Luongo, 33, signed a 12-year, $64 million contract extension with the Canucks in 2009.

Files from 620 WDAE were used for this report.

Come to think of it, if the wife's family were the primary concern, you'd think he'd have accepted Florida's offer way back in 2006.

However, this article tries to make the situation look like it may have a pro-TO aspect to it. Like we're going to trade Luongo for Komisarek or something just because Yzerman wants to be patient.

Well, what if every GM wants to be patient? That means Luongo is going nowhere. Just like Tim Thomas when he requested a trade from Boston in 2010.

Then again, crazier stuff has happened in an off-season. Cheers.

TOML

Perhaps Yzerman's choice of words are lacking in this interview? I can understand his philosophy of wanting to build a great team through the draft and free agency; it was done in Detroit. Nevertheless, speaking about a hall-of-fame goalie is a little silly. Why not trade for a good goalie? He has a lot of offense, why not trade for one? Seems like a lot of optics.

Perhaps Yzerman's choice of words are lacking in this interview? I can understand his philosophy of wanting to build a great team through the draft and free agency; it was done in Detroit. Nevertheless, speaking about a hall-of-fame goalie is a little silly. Why not trade for a good goalie? He has a lot of offense, why not trade for one? Seems like a lot of optics.

Trading Schneider is not the answer to your prayers Jaimito !! Schneider is our best goalie at the moment and using the guy who gives up almost 1/2 goal more is not the answer ! Lou doesn;t show up til November...so...my monies on Schneider to get us out of the gate with a few more wins in October !!

Future hall of famer? Come on! The overating of Schneider continues.

Schneider's a great goaltender, but he's 26 and hasn't even playe a full season. Is he really going to be a multiple Vezina and cup winner in the next 7-8 seasons? It's possible, but not likely.

Archived