The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tampa Out Of The Luongo Sweepstakes

That's fine if he doesn't want Luongo. As a GM, I do understand his thinking too. Luongo is 32, 10 year contract, but I'm gonna his bluff on this, a number 1 goalie like Luongo doesn't often, in fact, last time a goalie this good that was available was Roberto Luongo himself in 2006, and prior to that Patrick Roy in 1996, of course i'm not comparing Luongo to Roy, but my point is, an all star goalie is more often developed by the team itself. Kinda like Lundqvist, was drafted by the Rangers, Miller, was always a Buffalo Sabre, but whatever. We will have takers, if not? That's fine too, we will hang on to Luongo. Guys.. It's not like we have to trade 1 goalie this summer, we are bound to be a good team in 2013 no matter what happens.

This is a horrible proposal and makes absolutely no sense for us.

Isnt the point of trading Luongo is to get rid of his long term contract AND his caphit? why the heck would we want a guy with a contract just as long and has a bigger cap hit than he does??

I think MG is going to be willing to lose in a trade just to get rid of Luongo IMO. A B level prospect and a decent draft pick would do it, unless MG has tricks up his sleeve.

The only contract I would want from Tampa is Malone's

Luongo

Raymond

Gragnani

for

Malone

10th overall

Or just trade Luongo to Florida for Huberdeau (wishful thinking) :emot-parrot:

I'm having a laugh, are you in Vancouver (lucky SOB), must be middle of the night? I'm in Oz, 3PM here and its winter so no beach.

I think I was a bit vague. Just because 3 or 4 teams the last 30 years have managed big success with rookie goalies it's probably a 3 or 4 in 3000 odds. It does not make it a good gamble on Stevie's part. Stevie should be interested, I agree whole heartily.

As per my other response, I dont agree we should be interested in Vinnie for Lou.

Yea but that's a big gamble to think that Tokarski is going to be one of those guys. Or to think that Malcom Subban can come in as an 18 year old and be a number 1.

Stamkos is only 22, so you gotta think he's got quite a few years left of being a top performer. But for all they know he's peaking right now. I mean 60 goal seasons only happen so often in a players career.

They need to make thing happen now, while they've got Stamkos and St.Louis ripping it up together.

Sounds like he's using good ol George Mcphee way of finding a goalie. If you have nothing in your system, go out there and sign a guy. That being said, he is a number 1, but he's no Luongo, and how long he will be good for is questionable. I think it's his loss, and good luck trying to "draft" a number. Unless he thinks he can find a number 1 goalie that is ready come October in this years draft, he's out too lunch. He's probably saying these words to gain some negotiating hand. Make it seem like he has no interest in Luongo so he can make a smaller offer.

"Well heres my offer, I don't want to give up much, cause if not, I will just sign a number 1 goalie. I wasn't really interested in luong in the first place anyways as I said on May 24 Take my offer or leave it, bye." type of thing.

Gillis did the same thing just couple days ago by saying, there is a chance both goalies come back. Making an offer for a player that is not available is tougher too, you have to offer more in order for the other party to move him. So yea, their both playing hard to get, lol. It's like Gillis and Yzerman is indirectly negotiating with each other through media.

Well if they want us to take Lecavalier, they better sweeten the pot big time. He's 32 years old and is owed 30 million over the next 3 seasons. That's alot of money the Lightning don't have.

Luongo's owed about 20 million over the next 3 seasons, but his abilities match his salary moreso. He also will do alot in the form of merchandising and promotion. Not to mention the playoff revenue he'll help get them by backstopping them into the playoffs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Lecavalier

Connolly

1st round pick

Honestly, I think he is. I think you will see that if he's put on a mediocre team. He could take a cellar dweller and put them in the race for the playoffs. Schneider being better over the 30 games he played doesn't mean much. He's the backup, and arguably an elite goaltender himself.

Obviously hes interested in Luongo, who wouldnt be interested in the position his team is in.

He cant technically go out and say "Luongo is at the top of my list of candidates"

He is doing the same thing Gillis is doing, downplaying the situation to gain or hold on to leverage. Obviously AV ruined that, and now with Yzerman saying this he has the leverage if he decides Lu is the piece he wants. Which means we either wont get as much as we should, or we will be taking back a bad contract along with whatever else is in the trade.

Lecavalier will not be waiving his no trade clause to come and play in Canada.

He refused to trade it to go to Montreal his hometown.

His entire family now lives comfortably in Florida and definitely not moving to a Canadian market.

Vancouver might only get Malone back.

Lol anyone who accepts this at face value is.....:picard:

It's the exact same thing gillis is doing

Gillis says to the media "we're, not sure we wanna trade him" trying to get a sweeter deal

Yzerman replies " well we're not sure we want any established goalie" trying to drive the price down

Yzerman likely says no to Raymond and Gragnani, and offers just Malone.

If Gillis's only options this offseason is to trade Luongo for a big contract like Lecavalier or get a weak return for Schneider, he's either going to have to take on a big contract or keep both goalies.

Lecavalier has 6 more years left on his contract and two buyout years. Luongo has 10 years left, and two buyout years. Sometimes you gotta make trades like this for the short term in order to win now.

Somehow I imagine LA won't trade Bernier either, he's going to be developed the same way Schneider and Rask were unless someone offers something ridiculous for him.

There's a few goalies on the FA market, but none are elite quality cept for maybe Vokoun and he doesn't have a playoff record and lost his starting job this year.

They will be a market for Lou, starting with the Leafs, no question.

I doubt Bernier becomes available until Quick is locked up long term. They both have 1 year remaining on their current deals, and Quick will be a UFA once it expires.

LAK won't risk having losing Quick without Bernier in their back pocket. So I doubt anybody (TBay) would be able to get him cheaper than Luongo.

Just posturing by Yzerman. Everybody knows they need a goalie now and not 3yrs from now. They may roll the dice with Vokoun but he didn't do anything special with WSH. No other goalie comes to mind fitting the category of "elite" other than Luongo.

Probably something simple like...Luongo for Connelly + DET 1st + mid-level prospect (although I really want TB 1st instead).

TB doesn't give up a core player and sacrifices some youth.

VAN restocks the prospect cupboard and gets cap space.

Stevie Y.'s comment is basically the response to us saying "We will stick with both goalies if we don't get a good offer".... all total bullcrap.

I am not saying that Tampa is definitely where Luongo is going, but they are most certainly interested. For a team with zero goalie options to get a goalie who even his worst critics would probably agree is a top 10 guy in the league (realistically probably top 5-7) is all good.

Truthfully, I think the best possible scenario is for:

Luongo to Montreal; Tampa 1st round plus some other pieces as well

Price to Tampa Bay

Malone + something to us

Tampa gets its younger guy

Montreal gets a francophone goalie, who is going to be close to $2 million cheaper than what Price is going to get this contract. That is a big deal for them considering how screwed they are with the cap right now.

The one thing that could cause this to be a really bad deal for Montreal is if the new CBA lets you forgive a couple of bad decision contracts and get rid of them. They really need to ditch Gomez before they can really rebuild their team properly.

Archived