The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tampa Out Of The Luongo Sweepstakes

"I think everybody's trying to find somebody that's an elite guy," Yzerman told 620 WDAE on Thursday. "I would say there's probably five or six elite goaltenders in the league and then there's a group of good goaltenders, and then there's a group of teams searching for that guy to lock up and not worry about for the present and the future.

"My philosophy is I'm trying to find that Hall of Fame goaltender. But good luck trying to do that, it takes time. We'll find that guy through the draft or unrestricted free agency — that guy isn't there at this time."

I listened to the interview played on 1040 and at the end of the interview. Stevie Y said that he could move some of his 2nd rounders in a trade at the draft. He has 3. He didn't sound like someone who wouldn't make a deal vs. someone who is posturing for a negotiation.

Really, anyone who's looking for a goaltender is going to want Schneider over Luongo because of his age and his salary.

So teams in the hunt for a goalie are obviously going to pretend to have no interest in Luongo, in order to try and force Gillis's hand to trade Schneider.

We could end up with a situation where no is willing to make an offer for Luongo, and Gillis doesn't wanna trade Schneider. So him saying that both Goalies might be with the team next season, may not be by choice.

Well if they want us to take Lecavalier, they better sweeten the pot big time. He's 32 years old and is owed 30 million over the next 3 seasons. That's alot of money the Lightning don't have.

Luongo's owed about 20 million over the next 3 seasons, but his abilities match his salary moreso. He also will do alot in the form of merchandising and promotion. Not to mention the playoff revenue he'll help get them by backstopping them into the playoffs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Lecavalier

Connolly

1st round pick

I'd take Lecavalier, I still think he can be a point a game player with a frsh start. I think he just got overshadowed by Stamkos there, and the organization has kind of pushed him aside.

His cap hit is big, but with the cap going up, we can affford another big contract player. It solves our secondary scoring problem, and then we just need a couple additions on D, and we're set.

He's a great playoff performer too.

Sounds like ol' Stevie boy has been talking to his personal sports psychologist, Guy Boucher.

Unless he plans to be goaltender-less next season, he has to either: a) make a trade b ) pick up one in free agency. I'm not sure he's down for the Lu sweepstakes, but he's definitely in on the Bernier one. He made an offer at trade deadline for the back up who's never played more than 25 NHL games in a reg season, nor has he posted any stellar numbers. IMO, it's a bit odd. In a market like that, you'd think they'd need to be a consistent playoff team to be successful there. And he'd risk it on a back up? Sounds like posturing to me ... it's been floating in the air the last few weeks :)

I don't buy it... TBL needs Luongo more than we need to off load him, UFA isn't great this season for goalies and Kipper would cost a boat load more than Luongo, Bernier as well, Luongo should be had for pretty cheap. TBL isn't in a spot to draft and wait they have 2 horrible goalies and nothing in the system that's better, I'm not sure who they'll get in UFA that would be this hall of fame type goalie, Luongo may not be a hall of famer but he is elite and most likely the best goalie on the market. SY might really want Schneider and trying to force Vans hand in trading Schneider to them over Luongo, most likely case I think. If I was SY I would do everything I can to get Schneider to and he may be holding out as a strategy to get him. I hope Leafs are in this as we don't have a lot of pull in a Luongo trade.

Yes, but Detroit got lucky with Jimmy Howard. Maybe thats what he is referring to. When Howard broke in, everyone thought Detroit was nuts for not getting an established guy. And it has worked out ok, but I dont think he has led them to a cup either?

And waaaaay back when, Montreal rode guys named Dryden and Roy to championships as rookies. Washington almost rode their 3rd string rookie prospect to the ECF. Chicago was good enough they won, even with Niemi.

But is this the right time to play money ball on a goalie in Tampa?

Yea, I think it's just him trying to pretend like he has lots of options.

The Lightning are built to win now, they're not a team that can wait 6 years to develop a goalie through drafting. And you wanna talk about hall of fame players? He's probably got one in his lineup right now in Stamkos who appears to be in his prime. Time to build a team around him that can challenge for a cup for the next few seasons.

Well if they want us to take Lecavalier, they better sweeten the pot big time. He's 32 years old and is owed 30 million over the next 3 seasons. That's alot of money the Lightning don't have.

Luongo's owed about 20 million over the next 3 seasons, but his abilities match his salary moreso. He also will do alot in the form of merchandising and promotion. Not to mention the playoff revenue he'll help get them by backstopping them into the playoffs.

Luongo

1st round pick

for

Lecavalier

Connolly

1st round pick

Yes, but Detroit got lucky with Jimmy Howard. Maybe thats what he is referring to. When Howard broke in, everyone thought Detroit was nuts for not getting an established guy. And it has worked out ok, but I dont think he has led them to a cup either?

And waaaaay back when, Montreal rode guys named Dryden and Roy to championships as rookies. Washington almost rode their 3rd string rookie prospect to the ECF. Chicago was good enough they won, even with Niemi.

But is this the right time to play money ball on a goalie in Tampa?

Not me; I reckon we have 3 all star forwards and two all star goalies. Our all star D was MIA!

Even if Edler played better, we need more than an all star on D. I believe our best chance at winning the cup involves trying to score a Norris D with what resources we have available. I'm not interested in the cost of Lecavalier. Especially if we acquire ANOTHER forward (forget his finals fight with Iginla) who is not tipping any physicaL battles our way. No disrespect to Lecavalier, just not what we need.

Nor will Lou directly get us that D?

But its still required!

edit; and It will probably be 1 to 3 moves. ie Lou and our 1st for a top 5 pick, a good prospect, and a solid mid tier (not star) role player. Example, Lou and our pick to T.O. for pick 5, Kadri & Franson. Maybe we chuck in Tanev. Now we have two (Schroeder & Kadri) center prospects, Franson is a right side D with a big shot and a pick. Now you have options. Maybe the 5 pick gets us Bogosian, and when he's 24 he breaks out? Do Edler, Kadri and a #5 get Weber? OK, getting silly, but the assets are more easily packaged for what we need!

I'd take Lecavalier, I still think he can be a point a game player with a frsh start. I think he just got overshadowed by Stamkos there, and the organization has kind of pushed him aside.

His cap hit is big, but with the cap going up, we can affford another big contract player. It solves our secondary scoring problem, and then we just need a couple additions on D, and we're set.

He's a great playoff performer too.

Archived