The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Avoiding The Obvious: Its Time For A Mini-Rebuild

jonnycanuck46

Hey guys,

In no way am I a "trade the whole team" idiot who is simply going to do what so many morons have proposed before me. I do feel though as though the team is becoming more and more stale as the years go on.

At this point in time, most think it is an overreaction to say it is time to consider dealing some big names, but lets look at what we're up against here:: The league has figured out our system, they know how to shut down the Sedins and Kesler, they know how to infiltrate out defense, and they know AV's coaching style. Not to mention they know Roberto's flaws.

I think it is key that we keep Cory because he's one of only a handful of Canucks who have not been "figured out" by other teams.

I will not offer a useless proposal on this topic, but I will bring to light that yes, we had a lot of contributing factors to last years demise, but truth is, our team is no longer fresh, and I feel that the "window" is closing. I never believed in the "window" in the past, but I see why it was penned, for teams like us.

Look at Detroit in the late 90's. They had an aging core, they knew it was slowing down, so they developed Zetterberg and Datsyuk who immediately took the team and freshened it. Now I know we say we can do that too, but so many of our prospects are years away from making an impact, especially while the twins are still around.

I will make a list of players who I think should LEVEL 1) be left UNTOUCHED LEVEL 2) be expendable or LEVEL 3) be dealt as soon as possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVEL 1 Players:)

The Sedins: still our core, and still untouchable. Should consider dealing them in 5 years or so.

Cory Schneider: The future face of the franchise: young, cheap, skilled, and composed. Should not be traded whatsoever.

Hamhuis and Bieksa: Arguably a second pairing, these guys have great chemistry and provide the Canucks with depth on D. Contracts are a little pricey, but these guys have become close to core players.

Alex Burrows: This guy is by far the greatest bargain. Perhaps our only true clutch player at the moment as well.

Nicklas Jensen: This kid is looking more and more like a star. Will play a key role in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVEL 2 Players:)

Ryan Kesler: The "beast" is hardly that anymore. While injuries may have caused him to lose productivity somewhat, the injury bug has hit and hit hard. He also has trouble finding chemistry with almost everyone. His bad attitude has caused problems as well.

David Booth: Same issue as Kesler (without the attitude), his large contract may be hard to move, but he still has trade value.

Chris Higgins: Valuable to the team in so many ways, pushing on the door of being untouchable, but his services are replacable if his production drops.

Lapierre, Hansen, Edler, Salo, Tanev: Same issue here: These guys play their roles well, but could be packaged if a deal is proposed that knocks the team's socks off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVEL 3 Players:)

Roberto Luongo: Has officially become the "cancer" in the room. Unfortunately for him, his comments and the media have put him on a "must trade" basis with the team. He is no longer an elite goaltender, but his contract is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If it wasn't for the emergence of Schneider, there would be no question who is our number #1 goalie.

Keith Ballard: No question here: his contract vs. his output is unacceptable. Make a trade similar to Ehrhoff in San Jose.

Thoughts?

Jon

We just came off a Presidents, and we got beat by the best team so far this playoffs. If we have another year where we are unable to get it done in the playoffs, it might be time for some change, but as things stand now we have a group that has the ability to go all the way.

Of course any deal that could address any team needs would be welcomed, but I don't think now is the time to trade simply to shake things up.

Luongo is a cancer in the sense that he gets to play even though Schneider is out performing him. The teammates think this is unfair to Schneider and thus play more poorly in front of Luongo. They always say the best players need to play and deserve to play.

Luongo gets his spot taken, and even though the replacement in the playoffs was to spark the team, Luongo states that he doesn't mind getting traded. What kind of a team player is that? Right after a loss, he wants to ditch the team already.

Now that teams know he wants out, Gillis is forced to make a move allowing other GMs to sit back and wait for Gillis to force a trade.

CANCER

Roberto Luongo: Has officially become the "cancer" in the room. Unfortunately for him, his comments and the media have put him on a "must trade" basis with the team. He is no longer an elite goaltender, but his contract is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If it wasn't for the emergence of Schneider, there would be no question who is our number #1 goalie.

Luongo is a cancer in the sense that he gets to play even though Schneider is out performing him. The teammates think this is unfair to Schneider and thus play more poorly in front of Luongo. They always say the best players need to play and deserve to play.

Luongo gets his spot taken, and even though the replacement in the playoffs was to spark the team, Luongo states that he doesn't mind getting traded. What kind of a team player is that? Right after a loss, he wants to ditch the team already.

Now that teams know he wants out, Gillis is forced to make a move allowing other GMs to sit back and wait for Gillis to force a trade.

CANCER

CANCER

That's wild speculation based on next to nothing. We have no idea what goes in the room or what the players think.

The way I see it, Luongo was being the ultimate team player when he said he would accept a trade if that's what the team wanted. A cancer would probably tell them to shove it and invoke his no trade clause.

Questions:

1. Where was the Kesler hate when he was injured in the playoffs last season and the season before as well and the season before that? Has he ever had a 100% playoffs? Nope. What changed? (Oh right. We lost in round one.)

2. The Sedins are closer to being overage, but Kesler and Booth are the ones more likely to be traded in a 'mini-rebuild?' You understand 'rebuild', right?

3. Higgins did nothing in the playoffs. Why does he get a pass?

4. Luongo is a cancer based on WHAT comments? That he wants to do what's best for the team? Define cancer.

5. What's the difference between this thread and a typical proposal thread? (Besides you don't have a TO WHERE and FOR WHO answer to anything?)

TOML

Lost any credibility right there regardless of what other drivel is contained in your post. You have absolutely no proof of that nor even any indication that that is so other than the percolating septic mess between your ears which unfortunately escapes through your fingers and onto this board.

Stop trying to pass your fever addled brain farts off as facts.........this is not the first time you have tried to do so and people are beginning to catch on....finally.

The cancer is people like you that make unfounded comments. List the teammates that think this is unfair, post a direct quote from these teammates that think it's unfair and more importantly if the team as you says plays poorly in front of Lu then, more credit should be given to Lu for putting up the numbers he did and giving the Canucks another 50 win season when the team in front of him as you say did not play to their potential when he was in net.

Any chance you can start cheering for some other team?

Archived