The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stop Avoiding The Obvious: Its Time For A Mini-Rebuild

jonnycanuck46

AV's playoff coaching success:

1st year - Loss in second round

2nd year - No playoffs

3rd year - loss in second round (had to come down from 3-1 to win the 1st round then blow it against the 'Hawks

4th year - collapse against the hawks again after dominating first round 4 - 0

5th year - almost collapsed in the first round (1 goal away from making history) then completely get blown out on the road against the Bruins and loss game 7 on home ice

6th year - 1st round loss.

2 wins in the last 10 playoff games.

This team was 1 win away from the cup a year ago we don;t need any kind of rebuild even a mini one, for whatever reason the offense has dried up the last couple playoff series when it really counts. going back to the finals we've scored 16 goals in our last 12 playoff games, this is not going to win you anything.

I expected it to be a good point, you normally have some decent ideas. I wanted it to be something good, something that added substance. I tried to agree with you, I really did; but I couldn't.

First off: what Detroit have is unique, I doubt that we'll see a team dominate te league for so long ever again (at least not in a while) and its coming to an end, right before our eyes; Lidström (although he's still very good) is winding down, he isn't as fast as he used to be, nor is he as good anymore. The injury he had this season proves this, his body is old, he will never be as good as he was when he won the Conn Smythe in '02.

Detroit was also built in a way that the Canucks aren't, they had stars in all of their lines, their prospects got to play with really good, veterans. Zetterberg played with Fedorov and Hull during his first year, he didn't have to play a big part, since they also had guys like Yzerman, Shanahan and Draper among the forwards. Same goes for defensemen: they had Lidström, Chelios and Schneider there, so guys like Kronwall could take their time and dellop into great players calmly.

The Red Wings were also lucky, Zetterberg was picked in one of the last rounds of the draft, and so was Datsyuk.

My point is that Detroit has had some crazy depth, in all positions, in a way that most teams don't even dare to dream about. But they've also been lucky, like they were with Zetterberg and Datsyuk. So you can't really say that you want the Canucks to act like the Wings have, it's like asking someone to play like Gretzky.

You're also forgetting that we just won our second consecutive President's Trophy; we're still a great team.

Also:

You sort of stated what's already been stated like a million times: yes, the Sedins aren't going to/ can't/ won't be moved. Burrows is a player with a lot of heart, he means more to us than he'd mean on any other team. Our first D-pairing won't be moved either.

Edler, Kesler and Higgins are also key parts of this organization, MG will want a lot in exchange for them, and I also think that Edler is better than most of you guys think. He's our best offensive defenseman, he's the only guy we have who (sort of) can fill Erhoff's shoes on the PP.

The point you made about Loungo is somewhat true, he gets to play too much; AV played him based on previous merits. But to say that the guy's cancer, no.

It is also true that he isn't the goalie he used to be, but he is still an elite goal tender. And the other 29 teams havn't figured him out, he isn't as good (phenomal) as he used to be.

So basically: Detroit has done something nobody else will ever do. You can't copy that.

We are still a good team.

You stated the obvious.

Loungo isn't as bad as you say he is, nor is he cancer.

2nd year - No playoffs

3rd year - loss in second round (had to come down from 3-1 to win the 1st round then blow it against the 'Hawks

5th year - almost collapsed in the first round (1 goal away from making history) then completely get blown out on the road against the Bruins and loss game 7 on home ice

2nd year - No playoffs

Lou's team mates all seem to like Lou; hardly a huge tumour.

But last year for game 6 in Chicago, he did not sit on the bench, reported as pouting not an injury, when Schneider started if in front of him. That's not carcinogenic?

Lou lost his cool, and his confidence, because people did not pump his tires. Is that a breath of fresh air?

Its not a championship mentality anyway. Now Lou wants out because he did not start against L.A. You can dress it, and say you are trying not to stand in the way, but its not good.

Lost any credibility right there regardless of what other drivel is contained in your post. You have absolutely no proof of that nor even any indication that that is so other than the percolating septic mess between your ears which unfortunately escapes through your fingers and onto this board.

Stop trying to pass your fever addled brain farts off as facts.........this is not the first time you have tried to do so and people are beginning to catch on....finally.

Boy Johnny, your getting bashed here. Guess some are still sensitive about Lou? Loyalty is admirable, but not always smart. Look at MG.

A mini rebuild was started at the deadline? Common logic is when you are trying to win now, you trade for veterans hungry for a cup not prospects barely out of diapers. So MG himself either knew things had to change and a mini rebuild was coming, or was wrong?

And the team played like it was dissapointed out of the gate after the deadline. And guys like Kesler, via his agent, appear to want out with Lou. There is also some more than anecdotal evidence to say the group does need revitalization. Lou, Danny, Hank and Kesler all hod drop off's in performance this year. Hard to project a team improving with the same core if your top 4 players decline, 5 if you include Edler's playoff. I will say this, MG does need at the very least to reign the group back in with moves that generate some confidence.

I have debated what could stir the team. Two years ago, MG made bold moves. It had everybody excited, and forgetting all the politics which are certainly running the town ATM. He let Willie go, and got Ballard. Did not work out, but understandable. Beyond that, brilliant moves. Hamhuis in particular. Manny & Torres established veteran defensive depth and brought 220 & 215 lb bodies that competed. With Manny's injury, one of our key let downs has been neither has been replaced. And with Ballard stuck behind our premium lefty's..., we still need another D. Not that small an order, but really MG really needs to just duplicate those moves.

This off season, players and media have called out MG for bashing Cody, AV for bashing Kesler. They do need a mini rebuild on the model that makes this an atmosphere players want to play. But I do believe talk is talk, and the right moves will have everybody will be back on the same page.

So, unlike many who bash and put up NO input, here is some moves;

Ballard to an emerging team with prospects to spare and credibility needed now. Yield, a decent prospect. Fresh start and fresh cap space. Targets, Phoenix, Florida, Washington?

Lou for either a serviceable physical forward or D, plus a substantial prospect (if the veteran is a forward, the prospect a D) and a pick. Load up the young assets, here and with Ballard.

Add to our D in the market, hungry veterans who can extend their career with 3rd pair minutes, but can play top 4; Souray, Hannan... Big right side D! Let the prospects coming back bring the talent and fresh legs. Add to the prospects by going hard after Garrison and Schultz.

Give Kassian & Manny / Kess a chance to improve & recover before looking at forwards. Grab a Gaustad if available, otherwise hold your cards. We have lots of talent (and cap space without Lou & Ballard) and cards to use for the right veterans at the deadline.

Hey guys,

In no way am I a "trade the whole team" idiot who is simply going to do what so many morons have proposed before me. I do feel though as though the team is becoming more and more stale as the years go on.

At this point in time, most think it is an overreaction to say it is time to consider dealing some big names, but lets look at what we're up against here:: The league has figured out our system, they know how to shut down the Sedins and Kesler, they know how to infiltrate out defense, and they know AV's coaching style. Not to mention they know Roberto's flaws.

I think it is key that we keep Cory because he's one of only a handful of Canucks who have not been "figured out" by other teams.

I will not offer a useless proposal on this topic, but I will bring to light that yes, we had a lot of contributing factors to last years demise, but truth is, our team is no longer fresh, and I feel that the "window" is closing. I never believed in the "window" in the past, but I see why it was penned, for teams like us.

Look at Detroit in the late 90's. They had an aging core, they knew it was slowing down, so they developed Zetterberg and Datsyuk who immediately took the team and freshened it. Now I know we say we can do that too, but so many of our prospects are years away from making an impact, especially while the twins are still around.

I will make a list of players who I think should LEVEL 1) be left UNTOUCHED LEVEL 2) be expendable or LEVEL 3) be dealt as soon as possible.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVEL 1 Players:)

The Sedins: still our core, and still untouchable. Should consider dealing them in 5 years or so.

Cory Schneider: The future face of the franchise: young, cheap, skilled, and composed. Should not be traded whatsoever.

Hamhuis and Bieksa: Arguably a second pairing, these guys have great chemistry and provide the Canucks with depth on D. Contracts are a little pricey, but these guys have become close to core players.

Alex Burrows: This guy is by far the greatest bargain. Perhaps our only true clutch player at the moment as well.

Nicklas Jensen: This kid is looking more and more like a star. Will play a key role in the future.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVEL 2 Players:)

Ryan Kesler: The "beast" is hardly that anymore. While injuries may have caused him to lose productivity somewhat, the injury bug has hit and hit hard. He also has trouble finding chemistry with almost everyone. His bad attitude has caused problems as well.

David Booth: Same issue as Kesler (without the attitude), his large contract may be hard to move, but he still has trade value.

Chris Higgins: Valuable to the team in so many ways, pushing on the door of being untouchable, but his services are replacable if his production drops.

Lapierre, Hansen, Edler, Salo, Tanev: Same issue here: These guys play their roles well, but could be packaged if a deal is proposed that knocks the team's socks off.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEVEL 3 Players:)

Roberto Luongo: Has officially become the "cancer" in the room. Unfortunately for him, his comments and the media have put him on a "must trade" basis with the team. He is no longer an elite goaltender, but his contract is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. If it wasn't for the emergence of Schneider, there would be no question who is our number #1 goalie.

Keith Ballard: No question here: his contract vs. his output is unacceptable. Make a trade similar to Ehrhoff in San Jose.

Thoughts?

Jon

Archived