The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Vancouver Sun Article) Vigneault ‘Didn't Mean What He Said’ On Luongo Trade Request

Walking Paradox

Gillis also talks about Vigneault's comments on Kesler's season and Daniels injury

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Canucks+coach+Vigneault+didn+mean+what+said+Luongo+trade+request+says/6680236/story.html

VANCOUVER — Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis said Friday that head coach Alain Vigneault “misspoke” when he told a French-language TV show that goalie Roberto Luongo wanted a trade out of Vancouver.

Appearing on the club's flagship radio station Team 1040, Gillis said that he and Vigneault talked Thursday night and the coach explained that he “didn't mean what he said” about Luongo.

In the original interview Wednesday night, Vigneault was asked if he agreed that Luongo needed a fresh start after being supplanted as the Canucks' No. 1 goalie by Cory Schneider during the playoffs. Vigneault replied (translated): “That's what he wants right now.”

According to Gillis, Vigneault later corrected that statement with his interviewers.

“[That] is my understanding,” Gillis said. “I haven't heard the interview but he went and told whoever was conducting it that he had misspoke immediately after it happened and I think he did. Like I said, I haven't heard the interview but that's what Alain told me last night and that he clarified it in his mind ... you know, [he] didn't mean what he said.”

Gillis reiterated Luongo has maintained the same stance — he would accept a trade if it best suited the team — that he declared to reporters in his April 24 exit interviews.

“No, it's not full-on that we're trying to find him a new home,” Gillis said. “What he indicated was that if we felt a change was necessary, he would do whatever was best for the team once we made that decision. And that's all he said.

“We haven't come to the conclusion yet what's in the best interests of the team and Roberto is going to be part of the process. I talked to him again last week to see how he was feeling and we're going to start moving ahead now that we've cleared up some other issues. We'll start looking at where we want to go with this situation and others.”

Gillis further added that if both Luongo and Schneider were back, they would compete for the No. 1 job. (On his conference call Wednesday, Vigneault had strongly hinted Schneider would start next season as the No. 1. “What happened in the playoffs would be an indication of what might happen moving forward,” said the coach.)

“I know you guys want to read into every possible meaning that you can,” Gillis continued, “but the reality is that if both are back, they'll be competing for the No. 1 job and whoever wins it will win it.”

Luongo's agent, Gilles Lupien, did not reply to an interview request Friday.

On another matter, Gillis said he felt there would be no divide between Vigneault and centre Ryan Kesler after comments by the coach on the player's performance didn't sit well with the latter, or his agent.

“No, not at all,” responded Gillis. “Coaches are paid to make hard decisions and to get the most out of people. We're at a point in time in the evolution of our organization where excuses aren't accepted and, if you're cleared to play, you play. We'll take into account everything that goes into it but I'm not worried about any divide.”

Kesler injured his left shoulder Feb. 9, didn't miss a game but then required major surgery on May 8. He finished the season on a 17-game goal-less streak.

“Ryan was cleared for play and he wanted to play but clearly he wasn't as effective as he was the year before,” Gillis said. “There are probably a lot of reasons that went into that. Injuries are part of it but, if you're cleared to play, you're cleared to play. There are no excuses. You have to perform and this year, among others, he didn't perform at the level that he expected or we expected.”

Gillis also explained the Daniel Sedin concussion situation and how Vigneault was caught off guard when Daniel wasn't ready to start the playoffs. Sedin was hurt March 21 when elbowed in the head by Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Duncan Keith.

“Daniel was trending in the right direction,” said the GM. “Everything was going extremely well. He felt well and then, for whatever reason with these types of injuries, he didn't feel he was 100 per cent for a couple of days. That's when we understood his progression wasn't going as well as we perhaps thought.

“Sometimes with these injuries, the players themselves are so desperate to get back they want to believe that they're healing and they want to believe the next day is going to be better than the previous one,” Gillis added. “Sometimes that just doesn't happen. I think Daniel was really hungry to get back in the lineup. He knew the importance of what was coming and felt like he was feeling okay. Then he wasn't feeling okay

Thoughts?

I really worry about this team next year. It's media firestorm after controversy after media firestorm over stupid crap over and over and over and the offseason JUST STARTED!!! It's turning into a nightmare. Everyone just needs to chill the frack out!

/rant

If we can somehow keep both goalies (both of whom I am a fan of) as well as add some offense to our top 9 I would be stoked.

The threat of a Luongo-Schneider goalie tandem is valuable, even if it is expensive. And yes, I read the article. And yes, I saw where there would be competition for the number one spot, however, whoever is sitting on the bench would be damn capable of winning 20 games as a backup.

(however, whoever... haha. I am hungover)

If we can somehow keep both goalies (both of whom I am a fan of) as well as add some offense to our top 9 I would be stoked.

The threat of a Luongo-Schneider goalie tandem is valuable, even if it is expensive. And yes, I read the article. And yes, I saw where there would be competition for the number one spot, however, whoever is sitting on the bench would be damn capable of winning 20 games as a backup.

(however, whoever... haha. I am hungover)

Meh... Its all about perception. Luongo has said "You have my permission to trade me if you want to.... Do whatevers best for the team... here's where Ill go.." Theres a player who has lost the will of leading this team, and now will accomodate a relocation and welcome a fresh start elsewhere... Ultimatley once Shcneider gets extended, Lui's a goner, BUT.....

The offer needs to be right, or I expect to see both Schneider and Lui next season. Luongo is more valueable to the club than a couple mid level prospects and picks, even with the cap space gained. Having 2 goalies of that calibre is a stregnth, and unless a transatction comes along that can make the club stronger while overcoming that lost stregnth, I dont think itll happen.... untill another GM gets desperate enough to part with the set asking price for Luis services.

ALSO, in my opinion, Gillis would be better served to see what he can attract on July 1, before furthur assesing which holes need to be addressed in possible returning assets in any deal. Just look at how the Ballard deal turned out.... I think if Gillis and co felt that they were going to be able to sign Hamhuis 100%, I sincerely doubt that deal would have happened. And its likley that such a deal would have still been available in the summertime aswell.

Draft well. Add through UFA. THEN make hockey trades. This is the recepie for success.

THe only way Luongo gets traded before then is if theres a deal that makes sense for the club, something that seems to be absent since teams looking to aquire a goalie probably also want to see what they can do through the drafe and UFA period, before giving up solid assets while bringing in a massive contract.

The more I read about this situation, the longer I think the saga will wear on. But I do believe by the start of next season, Luongo will no longer be apart of the organization.... Hopefully thats in ealry October.

that was very well said on MG's part. I can't believe how much AV screwed up in ONE interview but Gillis bailed him out on all of those issues. I have lots of respect for Mike and I can't believe how hard his decisions have been in the past and how hard they'll be this offseason. We're lucky to have him as a GM

Gillis is a moron he brought back AV. With the way the team played during the playoffs, he clearly has lost the team. He is not as great as a leader that most believe people.

First interview with the media and instead of trying to get fans to support him for next season, he puts Luongo and Kesler under the bus.

That's why with AV we will go nowhere in the playoffs. He is clueless on how to lead a team.

Gillis you moron, you made a horrible horrible horrible mistake.

What was the point of resigning? Why not light a fire under his ass and tell him, either get it done or you are gone. With the way they approached it, here's more money for sucking. It doesn't matter that we lost to an 8th seeded team.

FIrst day after signing an extension and AV has stirred the pot on the Luongo situation and P'd off Kesler's camp!

There's too much history here and inevitable conflicts that fester when a coach has been around a long time and AV isn't exactly the kind of coach known for his fair treatment and effective communication.

I wonder if MG, already having to do damage control on AV's behalf, is having second thoughts about the wisdom of staying with this guy?!!

FIrst day after signing an extension and AV has stirred the pot on the Luongo situation and P'd off Kesler's camp!

There's too much history here and inevitable conflicts that fester when a coach has been around a long time and AV isn't exactly the kind of coach known for his fair treatment and effective communication.

I wonder if MG, already having to do damage control on AV's behalf, is having second thoughts about the wisdom of staying with this guy?!!

“I haven't heard the interview but he went and told whoever was conducting it that he had misspoke immediately after it happened"... So does AV not even know how to speak french anymore or this is a cover up like the Orlando Magic CEO saying they didn't fire their coach so they can try to keep Dwight Howard?

On Luongo: "What he indicated was that if we felt a change was necessary, he would do whatever was best for the team once we made that decision. And that's all he said." maybe the agent was the one to say that Lu wanted out. So technically MG isn't lying but he's not being totally truthful.

“I know you guys want to read into every possible meaning that you can,” Gillis continued... when you give short, vague, measured answers you have to read between the lines.

“ if you're cleared to play, you play." you play unless you're a healthy rookie on the 4th line. Note: even Steve Bernier averages more than 10 min on the Devils 4th line FFS!

I'm tired of this BS the Canucks have become. I want my teams to make sense on and off the ice. People think fans are just negative for the hell of it but really, if your coach says stupid things like that in the media then has to look like a fool to get the interviewer to change the comments what are we supposed to think?

If I was asking questions here's what I'd ask AV:

1) How could there be back to back blowouts against Chicago in last year's playoffs and why was the team so close to elimination since the Canucks had a stacked team while Chicago had a depleted and tired team?

2) Why is there inconsistent coordination between lines when playing D, transitioning to offense, playing set offense, transitioning back to D and going back to set D?

3) If Mike Gillis didn't come on board, but let's assume the same players came in (Demitra, Wellwood, etc.), would the team still play a defense first style or actually transition to a more attacking style?

4) How much do you talk to players and make sure the the whole team, all four lines, are on the same page?

5) How come in the regular season the president's trophy wasn't a big deal but now the team is begging us to give credit for their accomplishment when the clear stated goal is to win the cup?

6) If you admit having a solid 4th line is important, esp after seeing LA's and NJ's step up, why do they consistently struggle and not play solid minutes under your watch?

7) If you could choose, would you like to have a pure offensive player and teach them D or would you like a sound D player and teach them offense?

8) If you had to do it again, what would you differently against LA in that series?

9) If you consistently say in interviews that the players helped get you wins, then why are you still a valuable member of the team if in theory, the players can win on their own?

10) Because the Sedins themselves admitted that their game has been heavily scouted and shut down, would you consider breaking them up onto separate lines from time to time so that the team can be more options and be more fluid when there is line juggling?

why are people such idiots? Think for a second why Gillis is denying what AV said.

Gillis has to find a fair and reasonable offer that is beneficial for the team. What AV did is lessened the leaverage Gillis has when negotiating with other teams. Once the media world knows that a player has asked for a trade, all the poker chips fall down.

AV screwed the team. And most AV nut huggers are too dumb to understand. That's the sad part.

Translation: Wow - Luo isn't worth anything on the market… Damm, didn't think that contract would lower his value THAT much.

This is a laugher of a article, if they were going to retract what was said and quote it as a translation issue or whatever, they would have done it right away.

Sounding the Luo is on the block horn and then getting nothing for offers is a slap in the face to Luo. You either commit to the process and move him for the best you can get, you don't back-track like this and especially a month later… wow

Once Stevie Y indirectly stated he had no interest in Luo, I guess the for sale sign had to come down because no one else wants Luo and his contract.

Real shame, he is a great goalie but that contract is just not Cap friendly. Tampa would have been the best fit.

Gillis is a moron he brought back AV. With the way the team played during the playoffs, he clearly has lost the team. He is not as great as a leader that most believe people.

First interview with the media and instead of trying to get fans to support him for next season, he puts Luongo and Kesler under the bus.

That's why with AV we will go nowhere in the playoffs. He is clueless on how to lead a team.

Gillis you moron, you made a horrible horrible horrible mistake.

What was the point of resigning? Why not light a fire under his ass and tell him, either get it done or you are gone. With the way they approached it, here's more money for sucking. It doesn't matter that we lost to an 8th seeded team.

Archived