The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Vancouver Sun Article) Vigneault ‘Didn't Mean What He Said’ On Luongo Trade Request

Walking Paradox

Truth is you don't know if Luongo has any value at all on the trade market or not but common sense says that it is lower than what the Canucks will accept, hence this awkward 1 month later retraction or correction or lost in translation fluff.

On Apr 26th the story was broke from several sources. Sportsnet, TSN, the Province etc.

https://twitter.com/...476673049788416

http://sports.yahoo....-134700505.html

Now we wait, yes one full month, until we get public clarification from the Canucks organization. Give me a break. If they didn't want to light up their trade hotline for Luongo they would have squelched the public rumors immediately.

http://www.vancouver...4024/story.html

Now your very suggestion that the Canucks are dealing from a position of strength in trading Luongo pretty much confirms you have no credibility to comment on this at all, as the Homer glasses are welded to your head.

Luongo is a great goalie, it has nothing to do with his skill. His Cap hit is pretty high but he earns it. The issue - 10 MORE YEARS, many teams simply due to their own internal financial issues simply can not commit to that.

You are clueless on this topic.

Where there is smoke there is fire.

Otherwise explain to me why the Canucks didn't not immediately deny all the rumors that were swirling a month ago from TSN, SportsNet, the Province, the Sun and so forth...

They wanted to test the market, they did, didn't like what they saw for offers and now have retracted that Luo is on the block. God only knows how they will make him and Schneider work Cap wise next year.

No one allocates over 7.75 million total to their Goaltending overall… So you tell me what is going to happen next year, if the Nuck trade Schneider it is a terrible move for the future.

^^^^

(1) You are just so clueless it is funny. You think Schneider is going to sign for 2.7 million Cap hit to get your total of 8 million Cap hit total to Goaltending? Teams will be stumbling to offer sheet the Canucks on that and all the Canucks will get is a 2nd round pick for Schneider at that price.

You are so lost. Give your head a shake. Schneider is at least a 4 million Cap Hit. 3.7 million if you want to put a big bag of whatever you are smoking in your pipe. That STILL adds up to 5.3 + 3.7 = 9 million.

Once again, please listen carefully. The teams that pay the highest Cap total to the Goaltending position, starter and backup are the

Rangers - 7.75 million

Flyers - 7.4 million

Canes - 7.25 million

Sabres - 6.925

Wild - 6.75 million.

Let me put it to you another way - 18 teams in the NHL (60%) spend less TOTAL on both their goaltenders than the Canucks do on JUST Luongo at 5.3 million.

Now you are telling me the Canucks are going to allocate 9+ million to Goaltending next year. Plz dude, just stop…

And finally, there is absolutely no reason to publicly leak information on a player being available unless it is to get the phones ringing or if you are "selling."

Otherwise you keep it all tight to the vest. You work the phones quietly in the background. Leaking info like it was done, with Luo saying he was ok to be traded to a certain list of teams is just like Rick Nash. It is a public can of worms, organizations do not do that unless they are trying to solicit offers.

They don't retract it so late in time unless they are not impressed with the offers they got.

Schneider will be moved this off-season and the Canucks WILL get a decent return for him. Luongo will not be moved for the simple reason there was no takers with reasonable offers and it has everything to do with his contract, nothing to do with his skill.

The vast majority of teams in the NHL simply are not willing to pay Luongo like money and certainly not for the next ten years.

Attempting to say that Luongo's contract is a "bargain" is mindless. There is only a few of those monster contracts even out there in the NHL now, Vinny etc and you think they are bargains? U :picard:

The Canucks situation is a case of some very poor planning. They drafted Schneider with their 1st pick in 2004. Signing Luo to the 4 year deal in 2006 was fine but it was crazy to sign him to the 12 year deal after, that essentially paralyzes the entire goaltending position on the team for a decade.

Instead of keeping Schneider, as they should, as the younger cheaper and strong starter, they are going to lose him and as Luo ages out in the next 2-3 years the Cup window closes.

Tell me now, how this is all brilliant management.

^^^^

(1) You are just so clueless it is funny. You think Schneider is going to sign for 2.7 million Cap hit to get your total of 8 million Cap hit total to Goaltending? Teams will be stumbling to offer sheet the Canucks on that and all the Canucks will get is a 2nd round pick for Schneider.

You are so lost. Give your head a shake. Schneider is at least a 4 million Cap Hit. 3.7 million if you want to put a big bag of whatever you are smoking in your pipe. That STILL adds up to 5.3 + 3.7 = 9 million.

Once again please listen carefully. The teams that pay the highest Cap total to the Goaltending position, starter and backup are the

Rangers - 7.75 million

Flyers - 7.4 million

Canes - 7.25 million

Sabres - 6.925

Wild - 6.75 million.

Let me put it to you another way - 18 teams in the NHL spend less TOTAL on both their goaltenders than the Canucks do on JUST Luongo at 5.3 million.

Now you are telling me the Canucks are going to allocate 9 million to Goaltending next year. Plz dude, just stop…

And finally, there is absolutely no reason to publicly leak information on a player being available unless it is to get the phones ringing or if you are "selling."

Otherwise you keep it all tight to the vest. You work the phones quietly in the background. Leaking info like it was done, with Luo saying he was ok to be traded to a certain list of teams is just like Rick Nash. It is a public can of worms, organizations do not do that unless they are trying to solicit offers.

They don't retract it so late in time unless they are not impressed with the offers they got.

Schneider will be moved this off-season and the Canucks WILL get a decent return for him. Luongo will not be moved for the simple reason there was no takers with reasonable offers and it has everything to do with his contract, nothing to do with his skill.

The vast majority of teams in the NHL simply are not willing to pay Luongo like money and certainly not for the next ten years.

Attempting to say that Luongo's contract is a "bargain" is mindless. There is only a few of those monster contracts even out there in the NHL now, Vinny etc and you think they are bargains? U :picard:

The Canucks situation is a case of some very poor planning. They drafted Schneider with their 1st pick in 2004. Signing Luo to the 4 year deal in 2006 was fine but it was crazy to sign him to the 12 year deal after, that essentially paralyzes the entire goaltending position on the team for a decade.

Instead of keeping Schneider, as they should, as the younger cheaper and strong starter, they are going to lose him and as Luo ages out in the next 2-3 years the Cup window closes.

Tell me now, how this is all brilliant management.

If you want to talk about the Flames, why don't you post in that thread? Stay on topic.

Telling me I don't understand the Cap or the RFA process is pretty shallow when the fact is I understand the big picture far better than you. You continuing to suggest that the Canucks will spend so much more on Goaltending than any other team in the NHL tells me you are the one with conceptual Cap problems.

The Canucks don't want to get forced into a corner to match an offer sheet of 4 million because spending 9.3 million on Goaltending is absurd. But hey what do I know, according to you it makes sense to pay to keep two starting Goalies on your team at top dollar. Too bad only one can play in each game.

No, doesn't make sense to use those Cap dollars to try and acquire a top D man like Weber or Suter, no way better to allocate a absurd amount of your Cap to two starting Goalies, one of which will sit on the bench. Makes perfect sense to me.

:rolleyes:

Keep it coming...

And the Flyers signing Bryz to that contract was dumb as well, they are as married to him as the Canucks are to Luongo now. They could not move him at anything outside of Cap dump prices, again it doesn't have to do with the player, it is understanding the perspective of other teams and how unattractive those long term contracts are to them, a concept you just can't grasp.

The reason they are so unattractive. Season to season a team goes through natural change. Long contracts paralyze positional parts of your team.

The fire sale on Luongo has already come and gone, as per the topic of this thread. The price was so low it was ashes to the Canucks and they could not move Luo. Hence the very late retraction we are seeing here recently.

And there is a BIG difference between Jbo and Vinny / Luo. In 2014 - two years Jbo is gone. In 7-10 years Luo is gone 2020ish. Same with Vinny.

For the life of me I simply do not understand why you can not grasp the simple concept that shorter contracts are more attractive to teams acquiring a player in a trade.

If you want to talk about the Flames, why don't you post in that thread? Stay on topic.

Telling me I don't understand the Cap or the RFA process is pretty shallow when the fact is I understand the big picture far better than you. You continuing to suggest that the Canucks will spend so much more on Goaltending than any other team in the NHL tells me you are the one with conceptual Cap problems.

The Canucks don't want to get forced into a corner to match an offer sheet of 4 million because spending 9.3 million on Goaltending is absurd. But hey what do I know, according to you it makes sense to pay to keep two starting Goalies on your team at top dollar. Too bad only one can play in each game.

No, doesn't make sense to use those Cap dollars to try and acquire a top D man like Weber or Suter, no way better to allocate a absurd amount of your Cap to two starting Goalies, one of which will sit on the bench. Makes perfect sense to me.

:rolleyes:

Keep it coming...

And the Flyers signing Bryz to that contract was dumb as well, they are as married to him as the Canucks are to Luongo now. They could not move him at anything outside of Cap dump prices, again it doesn't have to do with the player, it is understanding the perspective of other teams and how unattractive those long term contracts are to other teams...

The fire sale on Luongo has already come and gone, as per the topic of this thread. The price was so low it was ashes to the Canucks and they could not move Luo.

that is hilarious Banned - the fire sale came and went.

the Canucks haven't decided what they will do, Luongo has not stated he wants a trade, there has been no waiving of a ntc or submitting of a list, (the SCF hasn't even started yet) and yet the sale has come and gone, without anyone managing to get a credible source to confirm that a single discussion has taken place. I trust your imagination though. Sounds like a done deal. Luongo stays. Schneider will be moved. We all heard it here first. Thanks for the clarification Banned.

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression Lu said he would stay or go. I heard rumours of a list but MG has been denying that claim since it came out. Didn't MG only retract the mistranslation(or whatever it was) from AV just a few days ago?? Or am I confused?

Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression Lu said he would stay or go. I heard rumours of a list but MG has been denying that claim since it came out. Didn't MG only retract the mistranslation(or whatever it was) from AV just a few days ago?? Or am I confused?

Explain to me why the Canucks organization waited a "MONTH" to retract and put out the Luo on the block rumors? You would think most organizations would clear up a translation mistake like that pretty darn fast...

Very disrespectful to Luo to leave all that out there for a full month if the case of events is as you imagine it to be. You need to pull out the Kool-aid needle in your arm and sober up a bit...

No your right but all this is getting bogged down in semantics.

Luo said he would clear a trade or stay - up to the team - this happened a month ago. All this misdirection on a list or not is a red herring to me, who cares.

Now this article, linked in the OP is guiding the PR back to Luo not going anywhere. Translation issues, blah, blah, I don't think you need to be a rocket scientist to connect the dots on this.

Imagine the uproar in Calgary if Iginla said he was fine with a trade or staying. Cripes there was enough of explosion on speculation when he off the cuff mentioned he wasn't interested in staying on rebuilding team. Nothing was said about a trade directly...

But honestly, do you think a Goalie of Luongo's level wants to sit on the bench and back up Schneider? Playing maybe 30 games a year.

Come on, I'd ask out of that situation too if I was him. Both Goalies are starters, you should not need a road map here to see the destination...

You are really dense Banned. What they corrected was the translation of Vigneault's May 26 comments that "if Luongo wants out the Canucks will do what is best for the organization" that was prematurely turned into a confirmation that "Luongo wants out." The rest was merely speculation. The Canucks were not and are not going to be hustled into that decision days after their playoffs ended - plain and simple - Gillis said they would give it some time rather than make emotional decisions - the process is just beginning - you obviously haven't paid attention, which hasn't stopped you from making a bunch of absurd fictional statements.

How do you know what Lu is thinking? How do you know Lu will only get 30 games? How do you know teams have passed on Lu? How do you know Lu and Schneids won't continue their great working relationship? How do you know any of these things you know? Just reading between the lines? We will see what happens Banned....everyone keep this thread in the back of their minds. ;)

It is called reading in between the lines.

You are seriously going to tell me right now that a Goaltender of Luongo's caliber is going to be happy going into next season "competeing for the top job" and potentially backing up Schneider?

Seriously, it is semantics at this point. I am reading in-between the lines, reading into the larger situation, you are hanging on every comma and every tiny word. I am looking at the forest, you have the leaves under the microscope.

You are being "managed" by AV and the PR team. I am looking at the larger situation with clear eyes. I don't need to see a direct quote from Luo because I know what he is as a Goalie and you are clueless to think a Goalie of his level will be content to sit on the bench and play just 30 games.

How do you know what Lu is thinking? How do you know Lu will only get 30 games? How do you know teams have passed on Lu? How do you know Lu and Schneids won't continue their great working relationship? How do you know any of these things you know? Just reading between the lines? We will see what happens Banned....everyone keep this thread in the back of their minds. ;)

Gillis is a moron he brought back AV. With the way the team played during the playoffs, he clearly has lost the team. He is not as great as a leader that most believe people.

First interview with the media and instead of trying to get fans to support him for next season, he puts Luongo and Kesler under the bus.

That's why with AV we will go nowhere in the playoffs. He is clueless on how to lead a team.

Gillis you moron, you made a horrible horrible horrible mistake.

What was the point of resigning? Why not light a fire under his ass and tell him, either get it done or you are gone. With the way they approached it, here's more money for sucking. It doesn't matter that we lost to an 8th seeded team.

Archived