The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Missed Out On Mitchell And Bernier

RAMBUTANS

Once upon a time, we had them. Both are fulfilling important roles in their respective SCF teams. However, the Canucks office wasn't able to recognize their role when they were here and wasn't used to their fullest ability. In the case of Willie, the Canucks opted to not take the risk and replace him with Ballard.

The Canucks need more personnel that can recognize this and avoid letting role players like this get away.

Steve Bernier was a beast (to use CDC's favourite term) when he returned from injury two years ago against the Los Angeles Kings in the first round. He finally was used properly as the fourth line right winger. Unfortunately, money had to go back the other way to fit Keith Ballard under the cap.

Hamhuis>Mitchell at this point

I love big Willie, but that contract he got was too rich and too long of term for a guy his age coming off concussions. It was the same with Ohlund, would have loved to keep him, but he got overpaid.

I wish people would get over it... it seems like every time we don't sign a player they want to fire the management. Just because these guys are on teams in the SCF, doesn't mean they are the ones who got them there.

Bernier is the bottom guy on the 4th line... the other two guys are carrying him.

We definitely missed out on Mitchell but I think MG wanted to find a defensman that had around the same price tag as Mitchell but provided offense as well.

Bernier wasn't worth 2.5 million struggling, and moving down to a 3rd/4th line role getting only 30ish points or less with mediocre defensive play and lack of offensive production. Wouldn't mind Bernier on our team now for 1 million or less though. He struggled with us but he did work very hard and on a smaller salary and going into a role with not so high expectations would benefit him

Mitchell was coming off a bad concussion and for the money he signed for in LA it made sense to let him go, he wasn't going to get the top 6 minutes he has gotten, and with him gone it gives us a chance to get more young guys in the roster like Tanev and Sauve. Not to mention that we picked up Hamhuis and Ballard that year (if Ballard plays like he did against LA he's top 4 Dman material)...though having mitchell would have been nice in the finals last year when we were so stripped down the stretch...as for Bernier I liked him when he was here but I would say that we missed out. If we could have him at the money he is getting now to be a 4th liner in NJ then we would still have him as a bottom 6 and occasionally a fill in for Booth or Higgins if one were injured (but I'd much rather have the big bad Kass than bernier)

Yes, we missed out on Mitchell but Gillis decided to not take that risk.

Bernier needed to be overpaid in order to snatch him during restricted free agency. $2.5 million and later $2 million were way too high. Right now he is getting paid what he deserves, a little over half a million. He is a lot like Raymond, both are decent players but way overpaid.

Once upon a time, we had them. Both are fulfilling important roles in their respective SCF teams. However, the Canucks office wasn't able to recognize their role when they were here and wasn't used to their fullest ability. In the case of Willie, the Canucks opted to not take the risk and replace him with Ballard.

The Canucks need more personnel that can recognize this and avoid letting role players like this get away.

I really don't get the "Canucks let Mitchell go" stuff. I think it's actually more of a case of the Kings went above and beyond to get him -- 2 years at 3.5 per is more than I think most were willing to pay at the time. People on CDC were talking about 1 year 2 million or something given the uncertainty around the concussion which I would have agreed with.

Willie made it very clear he wanted to goto a Cup contender but he turned down the chance to goto Washington and Detroit for LA. I'm pretty sure the contract was a big reason for that.

Archived