The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Missed Out On Mitchell And Bernier

RAMBUTANS

Bernier's doing exactly what he did for the Canucks, being a big, effective fourth-line winger. Of course when he was here everyone expected him to be a second-line winger and score 20 goals because of his contract, that's why he wasn't brought back. Same deal with Pyatt, one good season with the Sedins and everyone expected him to be top-6 forever. And we know why they never brought Mitchell back of course, I thought it was a mistake at the time and it looks even worse now.

Wishing them both the best.

Willie will always be a B.C. boy and I miss Wellwood's character and post season skill.

Lupul,Ronning,Kyle, Bure. Five foot ten and under with skill and heart.

Hope Schroeder can develop into a notable Canuck soon.

Once upon a time, we had them. Both are fulfilling important roles in their respective SCF teams. However, the Canucks office wasn't able to recognize their role when they were here and wasn't used to their fullest ability. In the case of Willie, the Canucks opted to not take the risk and replace him with Ballard.

The Canucks need more personnel that can recognize this and avoid letting role players like this get away.

We didn't miss out on Mitchell, he walked during free agency for more money.

In a non-cap situation we would have kept him in a heartbeat, the fact is that we are a cap strapped team and we can only really afford quality players if they're willing to sign at a discount, Mitchell wasn't willing to do that. Nothing against him he just was looking to sign with a team for an amount that he felt he was worth, and truth is he was worth more than what we could afford to pay him.

There are $3.5 million reasons we didn't sign Mitchell. It was too much for a guy coming back from a major concussion. I wish he signed here for $2 million but them's the breaks.

LA overpaid and took a chance and won.

Gillis did the same thing with Sundin and people gripe and complain about it.

I really don't get the "Canucks let Mitchell go" stuff. I think it's actually more of a case of the Kings went above and beyond to get him -- 2 years at 3.5 per is more than I think most were willing to pay at the time. People on CDC were talking about 1 year 2 million or something given the uncertainty around the concussion which I would have agreed with.

Willie made it very clear he wanted to goto a Cup contender but he turned down the chance to goto Washington and Detroit for LA. I'm pretty sure the contract was a big reason for that.

actually, ballard was mitchell`s replacement.... im happy for willie, he wasn`t being offfered the money or the term he deserved or wanted with canucks organization. He bled blue and green, playing for his hometown team that was a dream come true for him, I would be so happy if he got a cup. Still think Gillis should have taken a risk and signed mitchell, hell he took a bigger risk with sturm IMO.

Archived