Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

Canucks Missed Out On Mitchell And Bernier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#31 chicocanuck

chicocanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:08 PM

You should change your post to read:

"WE MISSED OUT ON ANY PLAYER WHO EVER LEFT THE CANUCKS AND IS NOW SUCCESSFUL WITH THEIR NEW TEAM!!"

Coulda, woulda, shoulda does not win cups and either does hindsight.

Posted Image

"He's so cool and calm he could have played with a cigarette in his mouth". - Kevin Bieksa

#32 KING ALBERTS

KING ALBERTS

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:13 PM

the canucks made bernier into the player he is... and even then, hes not THAT good. when he was here, he was slow and inneffective... good for him for turning his career around, but we did not miss out on ANYTHING

except mitchell - we should have re-signed him... i said so then, and i say it now
Posted ImagePosted Image

i fel off the banwagon and hit my hed on a rok

#33 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

We missed out on Jamior Jagr, we missed out on Martin Brodeur, we missed out on Pavel Datsyuk, we missed out on Henrik Zetterberg, we missed out on Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara, Claude Giroux, Anze Kopitar, and the list goes on.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

#34 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 71,034 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

We missed out on Jamior Jagr, we missed out on Martin Brodeur, we missed out on Pavel Datsyuk, we missed out on Henrik Zetterberg, we missed out on Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara, Claude Giroux, Anze Kopitar, and the list goes on.

We missed out on Gretzky!

:frantic:

307mg00.jpg

#35 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

Mitchell, yes. Bernier, nope.

#36 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

BERNIER IS HAVING
ONE
GOOD
POSTSEASON
ONEEEEE

Playing as a depth winger. In Vanocuver, he was called to top-6 action, which (let's face it) was a dud.

#37 Common sense

Common sense

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,726 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

So did 29 other teams. MULTIPLE TIMES.

ZOMG EVERYONE IN TEH NHL SUCKS.

#38 cadillaccts

cadillaccts

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Mitchell was everything we didn't need in a defenseman at the time. Hes big and slow.. He had no offensive upside when he was here. He became the scapegoat for what was wrong with this teams D when he coughed up the puck in the Blackhawks series which resulted in our elimination.
Not to mention the concussion issue.

We chose to go another route, and while it didnt result in a cup - we did pretty well for ourselves.

That being said, I'm a big Mitchell fan and wouldn't be opposed to him returning if he was cheap enough. We have a fast enough d core to compensate for how slow he is.

So I don't think we 'missed' out on him at all. He's done well and we've done well.

Bernier on the other hand was basically a plug for us. Not sad that he left...

#39 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,215 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Bernier sucks. He's looked impressive here in the playoffs, but this is the same Bernier that had 6 points and 1 goal in 32 games for the Devils. He barely qualifies as a fourth liner.
Posted Image

#40 Toews

Toews

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

Lol as if anyone would Steve Bernier.

#41 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,311 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Both were replaceable assets and they were both replaced. Cheers.

TOML
Posted Image

#42 ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

ThaBestPlaceOnEarth

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

Bernier's doing exactly what he did for the Canucks, being a big, effective fourth-line winger. Of course when he was here everyone expected him to be a second-line winger and score 20 goals because of his contract, that's why he wasn't brought back. Same deal with Pyatt, one good season with the Sedins and everyone expected him to be top-6 forever. And we know why they never brought Mitchell back of course, I thought it was a mistake at the time and it looks even worse now.

Ceterum censeo Chicaginem delendam esse

#43 Rounoush

Rounoush

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

How is that? Oh, because they happen to be on teams that are in the Stanley Cup finals? Man, if only we could have known that Steve Bernier was the key to winning a Stanley Cup. :picard:
Posted Image
Thanks a bunch to khalifawiz501 for the signature.

#44 nuck nit

nuck nit

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,888 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

Wishing them both the best.

Willie will always be a B.C. boy and I miss Wellwood's character and post season skill.

Lupul,Ronning,Kyle, Bure. Five foot ten and under with skill and heart.

Hope Schroeder can develop into a notable Canuck soon.

#45 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,121 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:38 PM

Once upon a time, we had them. Both are fulfilling important roles in their respective SCF teams. However, the Canucks office wasn't able to recognize their role when they were here and wasn't used to their fullest ability. In the case of Willie, the Canucks opted to not take the risk and replace him with Ballard.

The Canucks need more personnel that can recognize this and avoid letting role players like this get away.

I guess we also missed the boat with Cooke and Ruutu.

Btw, Hamhuis took Mitchells spot.
Posted Image

#46 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

Trust me we won't even remember their names when Tanner Glass opens up a can of whoop ass on the league and wins the scoring title.

#47 TmanVan

TmanVan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:53 PM

Raffi Torres, Chris Higgins, Maxim Lapierre were all additions to our team last year and any of the 3 of them >>>> than Bernier in the playoffs, so who cares.

Edited by TmanVan, 26 May 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#48 frazzY

frazzY

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:06 PM

Lmao u people are hilarious (people that make such rediculous threads) not the ones flaming away. Op you deserve a medal..

#49 Hockey Fever

Hockey Fever

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

The reason they got rid of them is because they sucked in the playoffs, and wanted more money than they were worth. Of course now that their not with the Canucks their world beaters just like all players that leave. :picard:

Posted Image

NHL Wikipedia : Operates Major Ice Hockey League known for predetermining Stanley Cup winners and rampant corrupt officiating

"I would love for (the Canucks) to win the Stanley Cup because that would put to bed all the talk about 1994", he says facetiously".
Nathan Lafayette on hitting the post in game seven of the Stanley Cup.

#50 RBCanucks

RBCanucks

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

We didn't miss out on Mitchell, he walked during free agency for more money.

In a non-cap situation we would have kept him in a heartbeat, the fact is that we are a cap strapped team and we can only really afford quality players if they're willing to sign at a discount, Mitchell wasn't willing to do that. Nothing against him he just was looking to sign with a team for an amount that he felt he was worth, and truth is he was worth more than what we could afford to pay him.

Edited by rbcanucks87, 26 May 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#51 Shoot the Puck!!!!

Shoot the Puck!!!!

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

I guess we shoulda kept Hedberg.....after all he's going to the SCF....................

#52 smackyo23

smackyo23

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

disregard this post. Mine I mean. Is there a way to delete posts and if yes why can't I find it?

Edited by smackyo23, 26 May 2012 - 05:05 PM.

Posted Image

#53 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,417 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:14 PM

There are $3.5 million reasons we didn't sign Mitchell. It was too much for a guy coming back from a major concussion. I wish he signed here for $2 million but them's the breaks.

LA overpaid and took a chance and won.

Gillis did the same thing with Sundin and people gripe and complain about it.

Edited by Ghostsof1915, 26 May 2012 - 05:14 PM.

GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#54 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,951 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

It's like this forum has completely forgotten that our team went to the Stanley Cup Finals last year ...

Why doesn't that surprise me?

#55 Saskfan

Saskfan

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

I really don't get the "Canucks let Mitchell go" stuff. I think it's actually more of a case of the Kings went above and beyond to get him -- 2 years at 3.5 per is more than I think most were willing to pay at the time. People on CDC were talking about 1 year 2 million or something given the uncertainty around the concussion which I would have agreed with.

Willie made it very clear he wanted to goto a Cup contender but he turned down the chance to goto Washington and Detroit for LA. I'm pretty sure the contract was a big reason for that.

I believe he passed up on going to Washington or San Jose. Sure liked Willie - solid Dman plus a good character guy. Bernier was a complete bust - sometimes worry a bit that Kassian is similar. The real shame was losing Luc Bourdon R.I.P. He would have been great in the line up.

#56 D.Doughty

D.Doughty

Canucks Third-Line

• Banned
  • 3,013 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 06:50 PM

Would rather have Bernier over Raymond. At least Bernier wouldn't fall down

#57 Gollumpus

Gollumpus

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,774 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:04 PM

Would rather have Bernier over Raymond. At least Bernier wouldn't fall down

Tuco: I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise. And sometimes they don't get up.

regards,
G.
Following the Canucks since before Don Cherry played here.

#58 DownUndaCanuck

DownUndaCanuck

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,240 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:34 PM

Mitchell was always great here, and Bernier was never really used properly. He's a 2nd line or 3rd line checking center at best but we had him with the twins trying to generate some skilled offence.
Posted Image

#59 canucksnihilist

canucksnihilist

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:12 PM

WM chose to leave instead of taking a year at his then current worth to prove himself.

U only overpay if u are desperate, and WM took the money and run. Makes a better song than hockey signing. Kings were desperate for a few years and ended up

#60 CoreyPerry

CoreyPerry

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:58 PM

actually, ballard was mitchell`s replacement.... im happy for willie, he wasn`t being offfered the money or the term he deserved or wanted with canucks organization. He bled blue and green, playing for his hometown team that was a dream come true for him, I would be so happy if he got a cup. Still think Gillis should have taken a risk and signed mitchell, hell he took a bigger risk with sturm IMO.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Credit to CanucksBen for Kassian sig

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.