The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Missed Out On Mitchell And Bernier

RAMBUTANS

I'll agree with Mitchell but Bernier was given a fair shake while here in my opinion and he was used in almost every situation conceivable. He was incredibly frustrating to watch as he seemed to have all the tools but just couldn't use them. I'd hardly say we missed out as he's been through how many teams since and always picked up on waivers?

Dude , mitchell had a concussion. i don't the canucks wanted to gamble with that. Hamhuis is a lot better than mitchell. Where was this thread when the canucks made the finals last year? that's right! :sadno:

Willie got a two year, $7 mill contract when he moved. And he signed a month after July 1, when his concussion symptoms dissipated. Had he been available, healthy, when we were making decisions on Hamhuis & the Ballard trade i bet we would have looked at him. A $3.5 cap hit for 2 years seems cheap considering Ballard who has been injured almost as much, and not been as important a player as Mitchell.

I bet Willie begrudged us not standing with him while he was injured, just because he had an expiring contract. Really no harm on our part, we paid and rehabilitated him till our contract with him expired June 2010. And unlucky on our part. Ballard had been injury free for several years, when Mitchell missed the final 50 games of our contract with him. We traded for a guy who was younger without the same injury history.

Willie just re-upped a month or so ago. He was not the risk $ value Ohlund received (and Tampa regrets) at $25 million over 7 years.

Yes Hamhuis > Mitchell, but unfortunately Mitchell > Ballard. Hard to blame MG all things considered, just hard luck!

Hamhuis>Mitchell at this point

I love big Willie, but that contract he got was too rich and too long of term for a guy his age coming off concussions. It was the same with Ohlund, would have loved to keep him, but he got overpaid.

I wish people would get over it... it seems like every time we don't sign a player they want to fire the management. Just because these guys are on teams in the SCF, doesn't mean they are the ones who got them there.

Bernier is the bottom guy on the 4th line... the other two guys are carrying him.

and dont forget Pyatt who did rather well for the Coyotes......as for Bernier, his best moment was when he pounded on phaneuf in what I think might have been his first game and the crowd were chanting Bernier Bernier Bernier......little did we know what was to come :sadno:

the canucks made bernier into the player he is... and even then, hes not THAT good. when he was here, he was slow and inneffective... good for him for turning his career around, but we did not miss out on ANYTHING

except mitchell - we should have re-signed him... i said so then, and i say it now

We missed out on Jamior Jagr, we missed out on Martin Brodeur, we missed out on Pavel Datsyuk, we missed out on Henrik Zetterberg, we missed out on Tim Thomas, Zdeno Chara, Claude Giroux, Anze Kopitar, and the list goes on.

Mitchell was everything we didn't need in a defenseman at the time. Hes big and slow.. He had no offensive upside when he was here. He became the scapegoat for what was wrong with this teams D when he coughed up the puck in the Blackhawks series which resulted in our elimination.

Not to mention the concussion issue.

We chose to go another route, and while it didnt result in a cup - we did pretty well for ourselves.

That being said, I'm a big Mitchell fan and wouldn't be opposed to him returning if he was cheap enough. We have a fast enough d core to compensate for how slow he is.

So I don't think we 'missed' out on him at all. He's done well and we've done well.

Bernier on the other hand was basically a plug for us. Not sad that he left...

Archived