Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 3 votes

Canucks Missed Out On Mitchell And Bernier

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
102 replies to this topic

#91 mucktuck

mucktuck

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:08 AM

I also am a huge Willie Mitchell fan and was sad to see him go. I am very happy for his success in LA. I think Gillis let him walk because Willie was still not healthy at the time of resigning, and that it was his 3rd career concussion! It was the right decision at the time, and it's still the right decision. I wouldn't offer 3.5 million to a guy that just spent 6 months recovering from his 3rd concussion.
As for Bernier, the Devils picked him up off waivers, he had 1 goal, 6 points total in 32 regular season games.

#92 Grand17

Grand17

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Bernier LOL typical canucks fan. you probably thought raymond was a future all star until this season

#93 {nhl}

{nhl}

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:15 AM

haven't changed my sign yet....

Its too bad management turned our BC boy away. Mitchell should have stayed. Mitchell Hamhuis would have been one of the best shutdown lines in the league.

Good luck Willie, you deserve a cup. I will be routing for you, not the Kings.
NOBODY BEATS WILLIE

"Give Willie Mitchell a tough assignment and he’ll
treat it like life and death." - Alain Vigneault

#94 CanuckCupFever

CanuckCupFever

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

Once upon a time, we had them. Both are fulfilling important roles in their respective SCF teams. However, the Canucks office wasn't able to recognize their role when they were here and wasn't used to their fullest ability. In the case of Willie, the Canucks opted to not take the risk and replace him with Ballard.

The Canucks need more personnel that can recognize this and avoid letting role players like this get away.

We didn't miss out. Hamhuis replaced Mitchell, which is an UPGRADE and Bernier was and still is a plug.

Edited by CanuckCupFever, 28 May 2012 - 01:54 PM.

Posted Image
<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Credit to VC for the awesome sig!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--quoteo(post=7599812:date=Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM:name=Lenny Jones)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lenny Jones @ Aug 3 2009, 10:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=7599812"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->watch this: Canucks looking to Trade Luongo to New York (e5)
Now i'm just as good as eklund!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#95 BenSurgeon

BenSurgeon

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:35 PM

If you recall Michell was coming off of a concusion and his staus was up in the air. The Canucks did offer him a contract but he opted to go for the security of a long term agreement with LA. Ballard was a mistake but I think it was more the signing of Hamhuis that made Michell expendable. As far as Bernier was concerned, as another poster said, Bernier was a plug when he played for the Canucks, end of story.
Ben Surgeon

#96 thehamburglar

thehamburglar

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,282 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yes, but Mitchell was a huge risk. Bernier didn't do anything here.
Posted Image

#97 Provost

Provost

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

Hmmm.... anyone want to change their opinion on whether it would have been good to keep Bernier after tonight? 3 goals on his major penalty.... ouch.
Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic!

#98 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,272 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hmmm.... anyone want to change their opinion on whether it would have been good to keep Bernier after tonight? 3 goals on his major penalty.... ouch.

I'm too lazy to go back and read the whole thread, but besides the OP did anyone really want to keep Bernier?

Jagermeister.jpg

#99 Stark

Stark

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,012 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

Once upon a time, we had them. Both are fulfilling important roles in their respective SCF teams. However, the Canucks office wasn't able to recognize their role when they were here and wasn't used to their fullest ability. In the case of Willie, the Canucks opted to not take the risk and replace him with Ballard.

The Canucks need more personnel that can recognize this and avoid letting role players like this get away.

Does that involve single-handedly costing the Devils the Cup?
Posted Image

R.I.P. LB RR PD

#100 DooBie604

DooBie604

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

Seemed like only yesterday that Willie had an awesome season but most of CDC decided to judge his ability to play based on one bad play that lost a playoff series to Chicago. Everyone started calling him useless and a turnover machine (kind of like what is happening to Edler now) and wanted him traded for a bag of pucks.

Seemed like only yesterday when first round draft pick Steve Bernier was brought in to play as a power forward and most on CDC wanted him out after the first season because he didn't have the 30 goal season people thought he would. Everyone started calling him soft and can't play his size and couldn't hit a wide open net if his life depended on it.

Now with the magic of hindsight we should not have let them go? Brilliant!

#101 BoKnows53

BoKnows53

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

We missed out on Steve Bernier folks...

A hand for the OP.

#102 spliced

spliced

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:30 PM

Actually I'm more bothered by the fact that they missed out on a big first line centre that led the playoffs in scoring.

Kopitar 1 cup. Canucks 0.

#103 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:50 PM

Bernier sucks, and Willie did sweet f*ck all in Vancouver. Next.

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.