Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Is Lu For Vinny Really That Bad.........if Its The Best Offer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
117 replies to this topic

Poll: Is Lu For Vinny Really That Bad.........if Its The Best Offer? (248 member(s) have cast votes)

If a deal with TB that had Lu and Vinny as center pieces best offer would you do it? (Please read article or summary first)

1. Yes (76 votes [29.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.23%

2. No (91 votes [35.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

3. the 10th pick or the 19th pick along with Vinny is what makes or breaks the deal (93 votes [35.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Southpop45

Southpop45

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:16 AM

Interesting article from hockeybuzz - http://www.hockeybuz...Sense/164/44618

If you dont wanna read the article ill sum it up:

1) Tampa is still interested in Lu but only if we take Vinny back

2) If you ignore the cap hit for a second its a good deal for both teams ( fills holes )

3) Vinny can still produce for the season and the playoffs, big body playmaker for kes and booth

4) Even though the cap would be tight we could still make it work

5) New CBA may include an out clause for over-paid contracts,

6) Cap hit will be raised by 3 - 5 mill next season

7) FInal offer - VAN: Vinny, 19th overall pick, 50th overall pick; TB: Lu, 26th overall pick, 2013 3rd round pick

My thoughts:

Vinny is a great player that can still produce both in the season and the playoffs. He would be the perfect guy to center kes and booth, not to mention that kes will be gone tilll november and id be way more comfortable with vinny on the second and schoerder on the third. Yes the contract sucks and thats the only reason i would consider not making this trade. On the other side of this argument it makes perfect sense for both teams. TB get their #1 goalie and we get a legit top 6 playmaking forward. In the end I would do his deal IF it was the only reasonable offer we got, but i would have to change the deal a little bit.

To VAN: Vinny, 10th overall pick

To TB: Lu, 26th overall pick, 2013 3rd round pick

#2 Pineapples

Pineapples

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,189 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

We don't need Lecavalier. And Stevie Y said he'd prefer to not trade to get a goalie

Pineapple_jumps.gifPineapple_jumps.gif

#3 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

too many centers...
+ vinnys past his prime

Posted Image

#4 RXnucks975

RXnucks975

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'd take the deal Vinny plays hard, has some ups and downs, but overall has the skill set that we need in our top six...Imagine Booth-Vinny-Kes as a line when kes is healthy, and Booth Vinny Kassian/Higgins until Kes is back...looks like a good trade to me...that is if nothing better comes our way (and that includes a deal for Cory)

Edited by RXnucks975, 26 May 2012 - 10:39 AM.

#5 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

The only way I'd do it is if we could get rid of Ballard in another trade to clar some cap space. Still hesitant though.

zuhwS.gif

#6 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Vinny is of the very few players with a contract even worse than Luongo's.

If the Canucks must take on salary from Tampa, lets take on St. Louis who is still a beast at his age or even Ohlund who doesn't have much longer in his career.
Posted Image

#7 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

Vinny hasn't cared since 2004.

He played like he meant it back then but ever since nadda.

Same story with Eric Staal, Early success kills motivation.

#8 BlueShark

BlueShark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:50 AM

I find it funny to see this topic started. Only because I swear, last night I dreamt that we had traded Luongo for Lecavalier. :P

I have no idea if it is a good trade or not, I'm not a hockey expert and there's people on this forum far more knowledgeable than me.

#9 briana

briana

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

Forget Vinny he won t come to Canada ,,He will never waive his no trade clause.

He is so well in Tampa..Why would he come here? To make us happy?

Dont think so...He refused to play in Mtl.

#10 GrindTIMEr

GrindTIMEr

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:00 AM

Tampa gm mentioned he clearly does not want Lu quoted from previous article in Vancouver sun. Stop with tampa conspiracies

#11 needtogetswole

needtogetswole

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:03 AM

Tampa gm mentioned he clearly does not want Lu quoted from previous article in Vancouver sun. Stop with tampa conspiracies

he's not going to openly say I WANT LUONGO!! it makes him desperate and send us whatever we want...

#12 CaNuCkSLoUiE23

CaNuCkSLoUiE23

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

Didn't Yzerman say he was going for a younger goalie?

#13 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

I have my doubts, and reasons for said doubts

Vinny's points-per-game scoring rate has been decreasing for 5 seasons now, though he scored about the same (0.81 to 0.77 p.p.g) in 03-04 when they won the Cup. He's def. a high-risk, high-reward component also, since Lu's pretty accomplished and established as a #1 in the league, whereas Vinny's over-the-top, though still capable of contributing. However, if Vinny doesn't live up to his albatross whereas Lu gets it done with Stamkos, St. Louis and co. in Tampa not only would the team have traded away arguably one of its most valuable assets in Lu, but we would pick up someone who's more a liability than an asset if Vinny continues to decline (I'm thinking Gomez-McDonagh here, since goalies can play into their 40's so Lu could have at least 5 productive seasons left whereas Vinny's scoring could decrease so much that he's not fit to be on the 2nd line, but his hefty salary makes him comparable to Scott Gomez and the retired Chris Drury in terms of busts for their contracts.)

Who knows how it'll play out?

Edited by MessiNacity10, 26 May 2012 - 11:24 AM.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#14 RyanKeslord17

RyanKeslord17

Canucks First-Line

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,895 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that all. Sure he's a big contract, but we get rid of one ourselves and maybe get rid of Ballard. Our second line would have Size, Skill, Scoring and Speed.

Booth-Lacavalier-Kesler
Posted Image

#15 nuckin_futz

nuckin_futz

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:25 AM

I find it funny to see this topic started. Only because I swear, last night I dreamt that we had traded Luongo for Lecavalier. :P

Actually that's referred to as a nightmare.

#16 JohnTavares

JohnTavares

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:26 AM

With Kesler being a question mark again, Lecavalier actually makes a lot of sense. Lecavalier's a year younger than Luongo, and his contract ends two years earlier. I would consider a Lecavalier + 10th overall for Luongo + 26th overall.

So many reasons...,
  • Getting rid of Luongo, the team can focus on Schneider being the number one goalie and get rid of the drama
  • We gain a top six forward that we desperately need. How many goals did we score against LA again? Lecavalier still averages about 60 points a year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he could do that for another 4/5 years. (St.Louis is 37)
  • We get a much higher draft position, and a potential to draft a stud prospect that again, we also desperately need. Remember the last time we picked 10th overall?
  • At the very least, we can afford to stick Lecavalier into the minors, where as Luongo has a NMC I believe.
People on here actually think Luongo has a lot of value? His value is almost close to zero, and maybe even negative. Not many people want to take that contract on.

Edited by JohnTavares, 26 May 2012 - 11:40 AM.

EHL: Detroit Red Wings

medium.png

#17 Lockhart

Lockhart

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

Yzerman pretending he doesn't want Lu is just posturing.

Edited by Lockhart, 26 May 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#18 BlueShark

BlueShark

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

Actually that's referred to as a nightmare.

Lol! quite possibly! I recall being surprised that the trade had happened before the SCF had finished.

Then I woke up, wondering what the hell that was, lol.

#19 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:22 PM

LOL @ anyone who quotes hockeybuzz....

#20 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,286 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

Sorry, but I'd rather not be spending $7.8 million on a second line center on the decline.

Jagermeister.jpg

#21 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 79,373 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:30 PM

Didn't Yzerman say he was going for a younger goalie?

Leading up to free agency, GM Steve Yzerman said he’ll take a look at the trade market.

307mg00.jpg

#22 Baggins

Baggins

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,910 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

Simply put: I'd rather have Lou's albatross of a contract than Vinnies. What we need in return is a high quality top six winger or a top pair d-man. A center isn't what we need.

MentalMidgetSig.jpg

#23 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

do not want vinny. I'd rather go all in for Nash (if we trade schneider) or save up that cap space and target Weber when he's an FA.

#24 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

Lu for Vinny is garbage for several reasons.

The biggest being: if you people think Luongo is overpaid, wait until you get Vinny who makes just as much and has a bigger cap hit. Lets not forget he will contribute even less to the Canucks success than Luongo does.
Posted Image

#25 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

No need to read your post , There is no reason what so ever to bring in a bigger average salary contract under performing veteran player for Luongo unless its much shorter in length.
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#26 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Leading up to free agency, GM Steve Yzerman said he’ll take a look at the trade market.

Of course he will . he comments the other day are just him basically saying he other options and wont be backed in a corner , Its all part of trying to get the best deal and why most deals are not made in a day . The best case for us if a couple teams get desperate for Luongo and they run the price up but these guys are not that stupid they have all been through this
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#27 JohnTavares

JohnTavares

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,802 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

Simply put: I'd rather have Lou's albatross of a contract than Vinnies. What we need in return is a high quality top six winger or a top pair d-man. A center isn't what we need.

Simply put: You won't get a high quality top six forward or top pair d-man for Luongo. Delusional Canuck fans these days...

EHL: Detroit Red Wings

medium.png

#28 406281dylan

406281dylan

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

If you want to win a cup u do it, You are aquiring one of the best centers in the Nhl he is consistent plays with a lot of heart and can produce this could pick up kesler's game.
Kesler-Sedin-Sedin
Burrows-Vinny-Booth
Hansen-Lapierre-Higgins
Kassian-Manny-Moen
These line equal a cup i love vinny and i would take him anyday.

#29 nucklebucker

nucklebucker

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

Here's a good, simple way of thinking about it:
Would you sign Vinny to his contract as a UFA?

If not, that means you wouldn't take him, with that contract, for free. So why would you give up an asset for him? Personally I'd take him at half his cap-hit, no more.

If you would sign him as a UFA to that contract .... your crazy (in my opinion).

#30 Mr. White

Mr. White

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

I wouldn't mind Vinny if it wasin't for his enormous contrace. I'll take St. Louis please
Posted Image
^VanCauck93^

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.