The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do Nhl Players Pay Tax?

Canadian players playing in the states pay 50% tax. But some teams offer them tax incentives....ie: pay it for them or get a tax rate cut in order to attract free agents.

I know a guy that signed with the Thrashers about 4 years ago for $700,000. But he said right away you get deducted $350,000 and then the team charges you a fee on trainers,nutritionists, travel, lodging etc...then in his case he was up and down alot so he had to stay in hotels lots.

Canadian players playing in the states pay 50% tax. But some teams offer them tax incentives....ie: pay it for them or get a tax rate cut in order to attract free agents.

I know a guy that signed with the Thrashers about 4 years ago for $700,000. But he said right away you get deducted $350,000 and then the team charges you a fee on trainers,nutritionists, travel, lodging etc...then in his case he was up and down alot so he had to stay in hotels lots.

This thread reeks of Dan Ellis.

I can imagine a pro sports players' tax return is a complete nightmare. Filing state taxes for every single state they play in as well as Canada. Some cities also charge additional tax. In St. Louis, if you have income based on business within the city you're subject to an additional 1% city tax on top of state and federal.

Quoted post is complete BS.

Income tax in the US varies from state to state. The federal tax remains the same but some states have higher income tax than others while some states don't have income tax at all ie: Florida

If a team pays part of a Players income tax such payment would be considered income and would be taxed as well as count against the cap.

Players don't pay for travel costs, nutritionists, training etc etc etc. all this is covered by the team. When in teams home city the player pays for his own living place but on the road all expenses are covered.

Oh yes I completely made it up ....so your telling me a billionaire(team owner) has never struck a deal with a politician to make their business more successful(like attracting a star player to work for that business)

Look your obviously smarter than me so can you please post the section of the current cba that specifies where the salaries are gross or takehome and where it says the taxes can't be manipulated?. Thank you

Archived