The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

If the Canucks could pick up Schenn and Gardiner, I see them trading Edler for a top 6 forward and trading Ballard and signing an UFA D-man (and hopefully re-signing Salo for 1 more year).

Hamhuis Bieksa

UFA Schenn UFA- Bryan Allen or Barret Jackman or jason Garrison or wideman

Gardiner Tanev/Salo

Gragnani

Alberts

Another element that really confirms to me that Yzerman's hope is to get Luongo and unload Vinny's contract is that it would make NO SENSE for him to be talking about preferring a younger guy like Bernier from LA if that was his actual goal. He would only be worsening his bargaining position dramatically by doing that.

If he really was aiming for Bernier, then he would be saying publicly "there are a lot of great veteran top end goalies out there (aka Luongo) and we have an embarrassment of choices going forward in the summer"

I think it is clear that by what MG and Stevie are saying publicly, it is all in relation to discussion they have had for a trade. In my opinion Tampa's top options form their perspective:

1. Schneider (not going to happen)

2. Luongo if they get to unload Lecavalier's contract

3. Bernier or another top young guy in exchange for some real assets

4. Luongo for a package like Malone and a good young prospect/high pick

I don't think we actually have an argument here as much as a misunderstanding.

I believe that when Mackenzie says "I have heard from sources that XX is happening"... that you can almost take it to the bank. He is largely accurate with his sources. A great example is the Dustin Brown availability near the trade deadline. Even though the LA brass refuted it, Mackenzie stated "I can tell you with absolute certainty that he WAS made available".... I totally believe Mackenzie on that.

What I am talking about though, is his speculation and opinion stuff. He talks about hockey every day, and he most certainly does not have inside scoops every day. So largely he basically just gives his opinion on how he thinks things may shake out... in this he is often wrong, just like everyone else. He regularly says "I had no idea that XX would happen", or "that totally surprised me".

What we are talking about here is him speculating about the Luongo situation, not him breaking a story from an inside source. He makes no claims to have heard ANYTHING from sources aside from a very vague sense that he was talked with someone in the Leafs organization and that they have a plan A that isn't Luongo. He only refers to Yzerman's public comments, not any inside source.

Archived