The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

I don't think he was implying that Philly would be interested in Luongo - I think what he meant there is that another team would be in the market for a veteran goaltender - ie. another team that would be interested in a guy like Vokoun, (who signed for 1.5 million this year in Washington.) With Thomas and Kiprusoff potentially off the market, the number of veterans out there are few and far between and the number of teams looking have few options, particularly once a guy like Vokoun signs somewhere.

CAN ANYONE actually confirm or remember Samjam reporting the trades before it happened?

We all know the David Booth trade was reported by Gillis right after we defeated Minnesota. NO f in way he could have reported that 10 minutes before it was officially announced. it's like now he is taking credit for saying he "tweeted it"? Also anyone recall the Hodgson trade being tweeted by him before it was officially announced by the NHL? I'm smelling B.S here. Also if a trade is already completed then it must a vast overpayment to get Gillis to agree to a trade before he gives other gm's a chance.

Surprised to hear it suggested but maybe the Canucks really can make a deal to send Lou back to Florida for an asset we previous had sent them, as we did in the Booth trade to re-acquire our 3rd.

I could see a package like Quinton Howden, 23rd overall 2012 and a player like Scotty Upshall doing it.

That way, when combined with the Ballard trade, the deal would look like this:

To Van:

Upshall, Ballard, 23rd overall 2012, Oreskovich

To Fla:

Luongo, Grabner, Bernier

It could be done for optics as much as anything.

Veteran goalie does not always equal Luongo. If you watched the attached clip you'd see Bob McKenzie state "We know they're fully committed to Bryz, he's got a contract that makes them fully committed. But I also get there's a sense in Philly that Bobrovsky is not experienced enough back up to work in tandem with the inconsistent Bryz and that they're looking for veteran help there".

It means, as I said, another team is looking or a veteran goaltender. Meaning another team to add on the the 'demand side' of the equation.

The interest from Columbus is interesting - (if the Canucks decide to move Luongo, and depending on how firm Luongo's 'list' might be)... Ryan Johansen playing in his hometown? We could get a big Italian in return in blueliner Thomas Larkin (right handed shot as well) - might be interesting to see him involved in a deal.

Best thing if Luo were to go to Columbus would be watching the Leafs responses and the regrets over the lowball offers and missed opportunity...

Luongo gets pretty much any team into the playoffs, so any team looking to make the playoffs (*cough*Toronto*cough), should covet him alot.

Gillis needs to get a kings ransom for him, otherwise he should hold off on trading him.

Why not? Owner's care about money. Luongo's contract was front loaded - even though a team will have to manage his $5.3 million cap hit, the actual money an owner has to pay for Luongo is minimal for the rest of his contract.

The interest from Columbus is interesting - (if the Canucks decide to move Luongo, and depending on how firm Luongo's 'list' might be)... Ryan Johansen playing in his hometown? We could get a big Italian in return in blueliner Thomas Larkin (right handed shot as well) - might be interesting to see him involved in a deal.

Best thing if Luo were to go to Columbus would be watching the Leafs responses and the regrets over the lowball offers and missed opportunity...

Why not? Owner's care about money. Luongo's contract was front loaded - even though a team will have to manage his $5.3 million cap hit, the actual money an owner has to pay for Luongo is minimal for the rest of his contract.

CAN ANYONE actually confirm or remember Samjam reporting the trades before it happened?

We all know the David Booth trade was reported by Gillis right after we defeated Minnesota.   NO f in way he could have reported that 10 minutes before it was officially announced.  it's like now he is taking credit for saying he "tweeted it"?  Also anyone recall the Hodgson trade being tweeted by him before it was officially announced by the NHL?  I'm smelling B.S here.  Also if a trade is already completed then it must a vast overpayment to get Gillis to agree to a trade before he gives other gm's a chance.

Stupid board messing up the format...

Spent 2 hours looking through the internet. Not going to bother copying and pasting since my computer froze the first time and I would have to do it all over again.

Here's what I found.

http://twitter.com/#!/samjam99

Scrolldown (a pain in the ass to do) his tweets to Feb 26. He tweeted Canucks were pursuing Pahlsson. On Feb 27 he posted about Hodgson and Kassian. No time stamp...so take it for what it's worth.

http://embed.scribbl...nts=0.

@samjam99 says Hodgson is going for Kassian.

#Canucksby farhanmohamed via twitter 2/27/2012 8:30:53 PM February 27 at 1:30 PM^^That was when everyone was wondering what other trade was going down prior to Bob McKenzie's tweet.

@samjam99 probably does have some connections considering he got Pahlsson right. But like everything...it's a hit and miss sometimes

Average starter makes 3.8m. Luongo makes 6.75m (cap 5.3m). If Toronto makes the playoffs with Luo in net they recover the investment as Toronto will net over 2m per home playoff date.

Summary.....Burke would be an idiot to not make a significant play for Roberto. His job may rely on it.

Until Lou and the nucks say anything, this all speculation. Come on people, reporters need something to write. This what they do, this is how they make money.

True or not, we will not know until something happens.

Archived