The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

People aren't "shocked" by this - they just don't consider it to be actual information - it is mere speculation that is not the result of McKenzie canvasssing NHL GMs to come to that conclusion.

According to Lebrun, Columbus is very interested in Luongo, the Leafs are clearly interested in Luongo (but Burke loves to hardline and lowball people), and there is a good chance you can't take what Yzerman has said publicly at face value, as a few 'experts' have pointed out. Chicago - who knows? Florida isn't as likely to be on the market for a goaltender. There is likely also interest from markets that Luongo likely would not want to go to...

Your assertion that no "owner" would want that contract implies that his salary is excessive, but it drops off considerably the last four years and is designed for a cheap buyout at less than a million per year.

Guest Dasein

Call me crazy, but I think we are going to trade Schneider and keep Luongo.

Or, at least, I hope we do. The only thing is, Schneider doesn't have enough trade value to bring in the goods we need.

Stupid board messing up the format...

Spent 2 hours looking through the internet. Not going to bother copying and pasting since my computer froze the first time and I would have to do it all over again.

Here's what I found.

http://twitter.com/#!/samjam99

Scrolldown (a pain in the ass to do) his tweets to Feb 26. He tweeted Canucks were pursuing Pahlsson. On Feb 27 he posted about Hodgson and Kassian. No time stamp...so take it for what it's worth.

http://embed.scribbl...nts=0.

@samjam99 says Hodgson is going for Kassian.

#Canucksby farhanmohamed via twitter 2/27/2012 8:30:53 PM February 27 at 1:30 PM^^That was when everyone was wondering what other trade was going down prior to Bob McKenzie's tweet.

@samjam99 probably does have some connections considering he got Pahlsson right. But like everything...it's a hit and miss sometimes

Look back in history of how many players were traded due to their ridiculous contracts that teams signed them too and then decided they didn't want to be on the hook for it and dealt them for next to nothing. That's the price you pay when you sign people to ridiculous contracts, unless you find a GM who is stupid enough to take on your mistake without it costing you, yes yes his cap hit is solid but the length of the contract and his age makes it ridiculous. It can happen I'm not saying it won't happen but it's extremely unlikely.

Now lets look at the Luongo situation he has a NTC. Luongo is not going to choose to go to Columbus nor any other bottom dwellers unless its a team on the rise like the Oilers, who are in no need of a goaltender nor would they give Vancouver the assets they need to push them over the top completely. The list he's given doesn't help one bit any of those teams if they did choose to trade with Vancouver are not going to give up anything substantial. Lets look at Tampa Bay if Luo is a Lightning next year I will guarantee you that either Malone or Lecavalier is coming back to Vancouver, both's whose contracts are worse than Luo's.

What is most likely to happen is BOTH goalies will be back next year unless someone offers something that no GM can refuse for Schneider or lopsided trade for Luo. One other thing that can determine whether or not Luo is traded is free agency. If Gillis goes out and signs lets say Parise and Suter you can bet that Luo will be gone prior to the start of next season. If teams see that the canucks are over the cap then his price is going to go down substantially. I've got a feeling come July 1 if Parise is available Gillis is going to go after him, But with the Devils playoff surge I would be surprised to see Parise sign else where.

I also can't see the canucks going into the playoffs again with two number 1 goalies. If both Luo and Schneider are still canucks come trade deadline I can see the one who is in the "backup" position being traded.

Yes exactly they care about MONEY not about some cap hit, GM's care about cap hits not Owners. Trading for Luongo means they have to pay him 47million dollars over the next TEN years regardless if he plays poorly or not. Its a huge risk especially when his play has died off of late. If he doesn't regain his form you are paying 47million dollars for a goalie who is mediocre. Even if he plays only 6more years he is still going to make like 40mil.

Look back in history of how many players were traded due to their ridiculous contracts that teams signed them too and then decided they didn't want to be on the hook for it and dealt them for next to nothing. That's the price you pay when you sign people to ridiculous contracts, unless you find a GM who is stupid enough to take on your mistake without it costing you, yes yes his cap hit is solid but the length of the contract and his age makes it ridiculous. It can happen I'm not saying it won't happen but it's extremely unlikely.

Now lets look at the Luongo situation he has a NTC. Luongo is not going to choose to go to Columbus nor any other bottom dwellers unless its a team on the rise like the Oilers, who are in no need of a goaltender nor would they give Vancouver the assets they need to push them over the top completely. The list he's given doesn't help one bit any of those teams if they did choose to trade with Vancouver are not going to give up anything substantial. Lets look at Tampa Bay if Luo is a Lightning next year I will guarantee you that either Malone or Lecavalier is coming back to Vancouver, both's whose contracts are worse than Luo's.

What is most likely to happen is BOTH goalies will be back next year unless someone offers something that no GM can refuse for Schneider or lopsided trade for Luo. One other thing that can determine whether or not Luo is traded is free agency. If Gillis goes out and signs lets say Parise and Suter you can bet that Luo will be gone prior to the start of next season. If teams see that the canucks are over the cap then his price is going to go down substantially. I've got a feeling come July 1 if Parise is available Gillis is going to go after him, But with the Devils playoff surge I would be surprised to see Parise sign else where.

I also can't see the canucks going into the playoffs again with two number 1 goalies. If both Luo and Schneider are still canucks come trade deadline I can see the one who is in the "backup" position being traded.

Yes exactly they care about MONEY not about some cap hit, GM's care about cap hits not Owners. Trading for Luongo means they have to pay him 47million dollars over the next TEN years regardless if he plays poorly or not. Its a huge risk especially when his play has died off of late. If he doesn't regain his form you are paying 47million dollars for a goalie who is mediocre. Even if he plays only 6more years he is still going to make like 40mil.

Mike Richards got the Flyers Wayne Simmonds and Brayden Schenn

Jeff Carter got the Flyers Jakub Voracek, Sean Couturier and Nick Cousins

Jeff Carter got the Blue Jackets Jack Johnson and first in 2012 or 2013 (and everyone knew Carter wanted out)

Brian Campbell got the Blackhawks Rostislav Olesz.

Scott Gomez got the Rangers(along with Tom Pyatt and Michael Bustl), Ryan McDonagh, Chris Higgins, Pavel Valentenko and Doug Jannik.

4 pretty good returns on "contract dumps" and 1 meh return from a "salary dump"

Someone posts a valid opinion using an emoticon.

You reply saying that he was smart, the reply was great, something undefined was well thought out, and then say that it was useless and uninformative.

:picard:

I do love how people crap on Eklund who posts anything that hits any blog or that is in the wind... but SamJam is some sort of hero because he (unverified) has apparently gotten a trade right one in a hundred times.

So far he has broken the stories that Toronto's 5th overall is going to Vancouver, Edmonton, and Columbus... he must have a lot of faith in Burke's GM-ship to think he can trade the same asset 3 times.

Only need to go back months to see comparable contracts moved - Carter and Richards - and the more difficult player to move, Carter (a poor season, and injured) was moved twice - none of these moves brought next to nothing in return - in fact the first two moves were heavily weighted in Philly's favour, and the latter depends upon who the first rounder LA gave up in the Johnson/Carter deal turns out to be. Luongo\s contract drops off significantly the last four years and is designed for a cheap buyout - 914k a million a season.

There is no chance that Gillis goes out and spends 13 million on two free agents, which is what it would take to land Parise and Suter, who will likely expect significant terms as well. I highly doubt he will be seriously involved in the talks for either of those guys - Parise is going to be flavour of the summer after these playoffs and it's not really Gillis' style to get involved in bidding wars. Schneider, Burrows, Edler, Higgins - all in line to sign larger contracts in the next year. I think the Canucks will be more likely to go after Garrison, Schultz, and if they move Luongo perhaps a guy more in the price range of a power forward like Shane Doan, who would likely sign a shorter term contract than Parise or Suter.

Example of a player no longer being shopped > Tim Thomas! :P

He's right. He's not shopping. But it doesn't mean he's not listening to offers.

Example of a player being shopped. Rick Nash.

Example of a player not being shopped. Roberto Luongo. Gillis has probably not officially announced he's on the trade block, it's just one of those things, a GM calls him, GIllis what, what are you thinking? And he will listen to offers.

If Burke actually has no interest in Luongo he should be fired immediately. Luongo on the Leafs is instantly their best player and guarantees them a playoff spot. Actually, Burke should be fired no matter what he does, aren't they tired of losing yet?

Archived