The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

I love how people are ripping Bubba to shreds when more often than not he is bang on with his inside sources. Why would there be a big market for Luongo? Was there a big market for 50 goal scorer Dany Heatley when he wanted out of town? Teams are realizing now that with goalies, younger is better. Christ, Schneiders already 26 years old. Thats old. Holtby was only 21. Young guys can carry teams deep in the playoffs. Who the hell is gonna sell the farm to get a 33 year old goalie under contract for the next 10 years.

In all honesty we are probly gonna be better off trading Cory and getting a nice return on him to a team like CBJ or something. Lus hit is reasonable and hes probably worth more to this team on it than off it. I think once Cory is gone and he has some breathing room he will be able to get back to that level where he is Vezina caliber year after year. Look at Marty.

We have so many goaltending prospects that losing Schneider doesn't really hurt all that much. With Lack and Cannata on the way we can afford to lose him if it means making our team a lot better up front.

vokoun sucks. There are only 4 teams on Lu's NTC, right?

Gillis sure as hell isn't going to trade Luongo to Chicago. Him and Burke dislike each other so I don't see him trying to improve the Leafs.

I think it's either the Lightning or Panthers for Luongo.

I love how people are ripping Bubba to shreds when more often than not he is bang on with his inside sources. Why would there be a big market for Luongo? Was there a big market for 50 goal scorer Dany Heatley when he wanted out of town? Teams are realizing now that with goalies, younger is better. Christ, Schneiders already 26 years old. Thats old. Holtby was only 21. Young guys can carry teams deep in the playoffs. Who the hell is gonna sell the farm to get a 33 year old goalie under contract for the next 10 years.

In all honesty we are probly gonna be better off trading Cory and getting a nice return on him to a team like CBJ or something. Lus hit is reasonable and hes probably worth more to this team on it than off it. I think once Cory is gone and he has some breathing room he will be able to get back to that level where he is Vezina caliber year after year. Look at Marty.

We have so many goaltending prospects that losing Schneider doesn't really hurt all that much. With Lack and Cannata on the way we can afford to lose him if it means making our team a lot better up front.

It would make sense other teams are waiting on the asking price for a young number 1 in the waiting like Bernier and also explorer the FA market for a veteran on a shorter deal with out giving up any assets.

Vokoun and Harding are going to attract plenty attention in the UFA market and Bernier and if Kipper are available are going to be attractive to teams to and then you got a 33 year old Luongo with 10 years remaning on his contract who as other GMs know has asked to be traded even though MG is trying hard to put up a smoke screen but this has taken away any leverage that way have because of all the other options and also i forgot to include i think other teams are seeing you dont need a elite goaltender to play the trap hockey so why spend big on the postion if you dont need too

Ottawa was able to trade Heatley for Michalek and Cheechoo.

Heatley is now in Columbus and Cheechoo is toiling in the minors, and Michalek is doing great with Ottawa.

For all we know there might be a lockout, so I don't think we're going to see Luongo moved until training camp starts.

The NHL and eastern hockey teams would die to get Lou back east. The PR involved in down playing his value is just that a play.

Lou's contract is not an albatros other than the cah going out in the early years. His CAP hit is $5.3 mil which is below the going rate. His contract has riders which allow the team to shop him in 4 years so the contract is not a deterent.

I expect Lou to hopefully bring back a top 2 dman and at worst a top 4 dman. At his age and after Brodeur's performance Lou can play ery competitively for another 5 years. Teams who are looking at him will know this.

New Jersey will have interest, Florida and the Islanders could potentially express interest too. We all know that the Islanders are going to have some interest in Keith Ballard if Gillis dangles him so we'll see.

Archived