The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

Bob is probably the most accurate insider out there guys. To me he wouldn't report something unless he was pretty confident in it.

I listened to the clip though and it didn't really sound like reporting to me. He seemed to have been given his opinion, moreso. While it's still speculation, there's speculation between you guys and I and then there's informed speculation from Bob. If that's his opinion, then I think it's probably pretty likely that that's the current market on Luongo right now. Doesn't mean that it won't change later like someone else mentioned when teams find out they're going to be giving up one of their top prospects/roster players if they want Schneider.

You shouldn't believe something just because someone wrote it or said it, you should believe it only if it makes sense to you. Does it make sense to you that Mackenzie got this info from an inside source with the Canucks mgmt?

If you didn't listen to what Mackenzie actually said on the subject he says " I don't think.... several times. He does not ever say " My sources tell me...... He is not lying about anything. Mackenzie is not even claiming he has inside info on this subject. He is speculating and its as clear as it gets if you actually listen to the interview.

This is what I said in my earlier post. And if you actually listen to what Mackenzie says its very obvious that the following statement is true.

"What Mackenzie did is make an educated guess. Which is called speculation. He has no sources in this matter and has not confirmed it. Mackenzie is reporting conjecture."

You have been a member of these boards for a long time, If you ever read other ppl's posts you would have read countless posts on Luongo's bad contract and how no one would want that albatross contract. You would find hundreds of posts on why Luongo will not generate a significant return. There may be a thousand posts on this subject as its been discussed to death and beyond. So yeah "half of CDC" has been saying for a long time what Mackenzie is saying just now.

I am not one of those posters who believed Luongo would not fetch a significant package, I've always said Luongo is very valuable and will return a significant package but I've also maintained that Luongo will stay and Schneider will be traded. So it's not like I'm saying I already knew what Mackenzie is saying.

But back on subject, why would Mackenzie be given this information by a source in Canucks mgmt when clearly it does nothing positive and may potentially decrease Luongos value. Why?

If Canucka mgmt was to leak this info why would it be to Mackenzie? Why not to a local analyst who has a much closer relationship with the Canucks. Has Mackenzie ever broken a Canucks related trade? So why would he have access to this info?

A couple of points.... I agree that Mackenzie has some of the better sources in the league and is more right than most others.

But that really only means he is right 1 in 10 times rather than 1 in 50... he has entirely missed the boat way more than he has had the right scoop.

Also, he isn't suggesting any insider information here... just speculating on what what is being said in public.

You need to understand, Raymond is a restricted free agent we may or may not even qualify. If we don't qualify him, he's gone for free. If we do qualify him, he's getting 2.55 million a year and who knows if anyone actually wants him when he's making that salary. So trading him is kind of a joke right now.

Trading Pahlsson? He is an Unrestricted free agent, so he's a freebie for anyone to sign. You may as well offer a bag of air, something anyone can already get if they want it.

And then Malhotra (you're 3 for 3...), has a NMC, so we can't just trade him unless he agrees to it, and in that case he'd likely submit a list of teams he'd accept... Probably not gonna happen.

So, you basically think we can trade what amounts to absolutely nothing of value for a top 6 sniper. Time to wake up.

A couple of points.... I agree that Mackenzie has some of the better sources in the league and is more right than most others.

But that really only means he is right 1 in 10 times rather than 1 in 50... he has entirely missed the boat way more than he has had the right scoop.

Also, he isn't suggesting any insider information here... just speculating on what what is being said in public.

That is so Brian Burke. Go after a average skilled player. Instead of Brad Richards it was Tim Connoly. Thats his choice. I'm not even sure if Tim Thomas is a type of buy Burke wants, Clemmensen, Biron Auld career backups, Berneir is unproven too, if Burke wants to go that way, let him.

Bingo - he is big time miss and what i find most annoying about him is that he uses way to many cliches and formulaic language. He's got a very limited repertoire of explaining things a little bit differently.

As for Lu if the nucks decide to move him only a complete clown would think we would get much for him. That is why Toronto has to be interested because they can get a legit No1 for next to nothing.

At the end of the day i suspect it is Cory who will be moved.

I must be one of those clowns. Lou's CAP hit is $5.3 m and the acquiring team has an out clause in 4 years. Hard to believe that Lou would still not be effective at that point. The contract duration is a factor in deals past the 4 year out but today's management is that today's. Lou's acquistion is only a issue for teasm that are cash strapped. TO ain't one of those. Even then Van would hopefully be taking salary CAP back with a player they can use.

What am I missing here? Why is Lou worth nothing on the trade market?

Archived