The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bob Mckenzie: Not Many Teams Showing Interest In Luongo

Lots of reasons why teams may not want Luongo or why we wont deal with them.

They have a goalie.

They have no cap room.

They don't have the money.

They don't think they need a "big time goalie."

They don't like the length of his contract.

They think he melts down in the play off's.

They think he has a propensity to throw his team mates under the bus.

They are a rival.

They don't have what we want in return.

They aren't one of Luongo's preferred locations.

You may not agree with his perceived "attitude problem" or his poor play when the chips are down but I guaranty some GM's do.

The Maple Leafs will be looking for a veteran goalie. Trading for Roberto Luongo is one option. Dave Nonis on if Dominik Hasek could be an option:

“I think we’re looking for a veteran — I don’t know if we’re looking for that much of a veteran. We’re going to explore (acquiring a veteran goaltender) as far as we can,” Nonis said. “I don’t think you ever want to guarantee that you’re going to find something because you never know what’s going to become available. But our objective is to see what becomes available and then measure that against what we have in net at this point.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/article/1196832--feschuk-maple-leafs-in-market-for-veteran-netminder

The Maple Leafs will be looking for a veteran goalie. Trading for Roberto Luongo is one option. Dave Nonis on if Dominik Hasek could be an option:

“I think we’re looking for a veteran — I don’t know if we’re looking for that much of a veteran. We’re going to explore (acquiring a veteran goaltender) as far as we can,” Nonis said. “I don’t think you ever want to guarantee that you’re going to find something because you never know what’s going to become available. But our objective is to see what becomes available and then measure that against what we have in net at this point.”

http://www.thestar.c...teran-netminder

I thought what he said was quite negative towards Luongo, he's making it sound , no one is interested in him. Why didn't he say this about Rick Nash in the past??? Indirecly slamming Luongo, saying no one wants him, and his contract, maybe it's true, maybe not. I know for a fact, Canucks mgmt, will not say anything to him. Maybe someone from Florida, tampa bay and Toronto Management have all told him, they are not interested, I highly doubt that too, Florida not being interested is already a no brainer, we will see what happens, but I don't believe for a second no teams are interested.

http://www.mynhltraderumors.com/2011/11/09/2012-nhl-free-agents-unrestricted-goalies/

I'm looking at the sad list of goalie UFA's, nuff said. Maybe he's right, maybe no one wants him. Thats fine, we will hang on to Luongo. No question. I'm ok with keeping him and Schneider.

What are people getting worked up about? Of course theres not much interest in Luongo, did you expect Bob Mackenzie to come out and say half the league is interested? We already knew there would only be 2 or 3 reasonable trade options to begin with.

How is this a new revelation?

When did anyone think there would be a huge trade market for Luongo. He still has six years of $6.7M to go before the contract gets better. For a lot of teams that is just way too much.

Look what Florida gave up for Brian Campbell last year. Rostislav Olesz. Minor leaguer. And Talon had history with Campbell. Gave him the monster deal that at the time had five years left. Also, Talon needed salary to get to the cap floor.

Expecting a big return for Luongo is dreaming. He has 10 years left and a total of more than $47 million owing. Talk all you want about an affordable cap hit. That is still a monstrous contract that has to be payed out by an owner. And say the next team that has him wants out after two years like the Canucks do, they now have a 35 year old guy with eight years remaining to try to get rid off.

So you're telling me that "half of CDC" predicted the fact that there are not many teams that are interested in Luongo?

Bob McKenzie has a face and a reputation to protect. Why would he lie?

So yeah, as you can see, I have a hard time believing what you're writing when "half of CDC" has little reputation to protect.

You shouldn't believe something just because someone wrote it or said it, you should believe it only if it makes sense to you. Does it make sense to you that Mackenzie got this info from an inside source with the Canucks mgmt?

If you didn't listen to what Mackenzie actually said on the subject he says " I don't think.... several times. He does not ever say " My sources tell me...... He is not lying about anything. Mackenzie is not even claiming he has inside info on this subject. He is speculating and its as clear as it gets if you actually listen to the interview.

This is what I said in my earlier post. And if you actually listen to what Mackenzie says its very obvious that the following statement is true.

"What Mackenzie did is make an educated guess. Which is called speculation. He has no sources in this matter and has not confirmed it. Mackenzie is reporting conjecture."

You have been a member of these boards for a long time, If you ever read other ppl's posts you would have read countless posts on Luongo's bad contract and how no one would want that albatross contract. You would find hundreds of posts on why Luongo will not generate a significant return. There may be a thousand posts on this subject as its been discussed to death and beyond. So yeah "half of CDC" has been saying for a long time what Mackenzie is saying just now.

I am not one of those posters who believed Luongo would not fetch a significant package, I've always said Luongo is very valuable and will return a significant package but I've also maintained that Luongo will stay and Schneider will be traded. So it's not like I'm saying I already knew what Mackenzie is saying.

But back on subject, why would Mackenzie be given this information by a source in Canucks mgmt when clearly it does nothing positive and may potentially decrease Luongos value. Why?

If Canucka mgmt was to leak this info why would it be to Mackenzie? Why not to a local analyst who has a much closer relationship with the Canucks. Has Mackenzie ever broken a Canucks related trade? So why would he have access to this info?

I love the way this board works. When Mackenzie said that Schneider is highly valued asset, people were citing that as reasons why Schneider would fetch a great return. Now the same guy says there is little to no interest in Luongo and same people are ripping on him.

These parts of Provosts post are so spot on!

Of course Yzerman is going to be more interested in Schneider, possibly Bernier. The market for Lou is a secondary market, after guys find out what it really takes, both in trade and contract value, for guys like Bernier. But if the cost is expensive???

And yeah, timing is either brilliant or not > there will be winners and losers.

Last > look how "they" deal with moving fringe players like Hodgson. B) It is 42 years, people are restless. Whoever is deemed responsible for us winning a cup will be revered here, like Messier was in New York. If Lou stays, if he wins the cup he will be annointed Jesus, the almighty Allah and the greenest BC bud that was ever grown from seed, depending on your particular religion!

I think it is a function of a lot of teams having an option or a thought for a goalie ahead of Luongo. The truth is though, there are more teams looking for goalies than there are decent goalies out there. It is a lot easier to say "I want a young, elite franchise goalie that won't cost me any assets"... than it is to actually make that happen.

Timing is a main issue of concern really.

There is no way the fans and media accept Luongo here instead. Just look at how they deal with moving fringe players like Grabner and Hodgson (heck there are even thread now bemoaning the loss of Bernier).

So far is quiet on the Luongo end. Just a month ago, someone said as much as 11 teams might be interested in Luongo. I guess now that Bob's heard nothing so far, he probably thinks, no one is interested, when in fact, these gm's are probably on vacation, respecting each other, and will make offers after the roster freeze, because right now is pointless. Let say X GM will give Gillis a call, in regards to the availablity of Luongo. Gillis will probably tell him to follow up with him after the finals, because at that point, Gillis will probably have more people contacting him, so thats now why, there is nothing on the "Luongo" front. So why negotiate something, right now, when Gillis will look at all the options later. Or maybe no one is telling Mckenzie. He's an anaylist, of prospects and the game. He had no clue on the David Booth trade, he also knew nothing about Hodgson being shopped prior to the trade deadline. Makes you wonder why is he all of a sudden in the trade rumors department. This is were people either look real good, or look real stupid, (Eklund), type. I think Mckenzie should stick with analyzing instead of trade rumors. Unless someone

So far is quiet on the Luongo end. Just a month ago, someone said as much as 11 teams might be interested in Luongo. I guess now that Bob's heard nothing so far, he probably thinks, no one is interested, when in fact, these gm's are probably on vacation, respecting each other, and will make offers after the roster freeze, because right now is pointless. Let say X GM will give Gillis a call, in regards to the availablity of Luongo. Gillis will probably tell him to follow up with him after the finals, because at that point, Gillis will probably have more people contacting him, so thats now why, there is nothing on the "Luongo" front. So why negotiate something, right now, when Gillis will look at all the options later. Or maybe no one is telling Mckenzie. He's an anaylist, of prospects and the game. He had no clue on the David Booth trade, he also knew nothing about Hodgson being shopped prior to the trade deadline. Makes you wonder why is he all of a sudden in the trade rumors department. This is were people either look real good, or look real stupid, (Eklund), type. I think Mckenzie should stick with analyzing instead of trade rumors. Unless someone

Archived