Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Questions About Weight Loss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#31 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 11:05 AM

Do you post on the bodybuilding.com forum? Its pretty cool. I think about half of the posts are broscience.

Yup, same username...mostly in the losing fat section trying to help out noobies, I keep my own IF/Compound lift log.
Originally 270 down to about 192 with help from some great members on there!
Posted Image
Thanks to JimLahey for the great Sig!
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#32 GLASSJAW

GLASSJAW

LEGENDARY POSER

• Members
  • 14,049 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 12:45 PM

I lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago using a "fad diet" that I transitioned into healthy living. I don't know why so many people hate on "fad diets" -- I was able to lose a lot of weight in a fraction of the time other people did.

Nerds online always say "IT'S WATER WEIGHT! IT'S MUSCLE! YOU'LL GAIN IT ALL BACK!" but if you use your extreme/fad diet as a stepping stone into healthy living, it's an extremely effective and encouraging way to shed 15-20 pounds really, really quickly.

I didn't put much back on (maybe 5 pounds), but about 20 more stayed off.

Read Michael Pollan's books if you're interested in this sort of stuff. "In Defense of Food" is a really good one, as is The Omnivore's Dilemma. Or if you're lazy, just go watch some interviews with him on Youtube. He would definitely say that buying Dempsters bread (regardless of if it's whole wheat or not) is a bad idea. A good rule of his is: don't buy things that have commercials on TV. Dempsters is part of a corporation that makes a lot of unhealthy food. They're pushing a product big time. Costco doesn't have high quality meat, and it's likely full of hormones too. Don't eat there.

This idea that "CARBS = BAD" or "X = BAD" just seems so ridiculous.

There are cultures with low obesity levels and without much healthy trouble that regularly include "unhealthy" carb-rich food in their diet almost daily. Being healthy is about what you eat, but also HOW you eat it. It's about cultural choices just as much as it is dietary ones, I think.

Everyone in this thread is disagreeing with each other because it's not really an exact science. Find what works for you, and stick with it. Takes time, but it's worth it

212e8lw.jpg

i'm not alone; i'll never be

#33 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies I appreciate it very much and read every single one of them.

Now to start things off I'm not in the best of shape since graduating from highschool (since physicial education was mandatory) and moving onto university. For starters, after looking at all the replies I stopped doing my cuurent diet and plan to move onto to a diet that roughly gives me around 2000 calories per day. I do not neccesarily know where to start. For example, I already bought store-bought package few days ago of turkey breast meat and I do plan on finishing it off.

Some other questions that comes to mind mind are this

My breakfast right now consists of rarely any protein. I'm just wondering what should I start off as a good breakfast meal and if I should eat a high protein breakfast, and medium protein for lunch and dinner.

Another question I have is, is time really essential? Like splitting up meals, having snacks etc etc. I usually do have my 3 courses, but not snacks. I'm the type that usually just eats (whatever I've prepared) when I get hungry. So if im starting to feel hungry, I'll just eat my lunch and vice versa for dinner (it roughly gives me good few hours before each meal).

Personally, from what I've learned from school, online and general knowledge, I feel timing teaches your body to build a sense of when its going to be fed so it doesn't store fats. Some people may dispute it but its worked for my family and a couple of my friends. Cory Gregor the founder of musclepharm and his team also emphasize timing. Whether its for weight loss or building muscle, its about timing. To build and retin muscle you should be taking your supplements at the proper times (bcaa's before and after working out). Good high protein breakfasts could be egg whites cottage cheese, turkey bacon..etc

21m9lso.jpg

#34 The Situation

The Situation

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 02:41 PM

I lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago using a "fad diet" that I transitioned into healthy living. I don't know why so many people hate on "fad diets" -- I was able to lose a lot of weight in a fraction of the time other people did.

Nerds online always say "IT'S WATER WEIGHT! IT'S MUSCLE! YOU'LL GAIN IT ALL BACK!" but if you use your extreme/fad diet as a stepping stone into healthy living, it's an extremely effective and encouraging way to shed 15-20 pounds really, really quickly.

I didn't put much back on (maybe 5 pounds), but about 20 more stayed off.

Read Michael Pollan's books if you're interested in this sort of stuff. "In Defense of Food" is a really good one, as is The Omnivore's Dilemma. Or if you're lazy, just go watch some interviews with him on Youtube. He would definitely say that buying Dempsters bread (regardless of if it's whole wheat or not) is a bad idea. A good rule of his is: don't buy things that have commercials on TV. Dempsters is part of a corporation that makes a lot of unhealthy food. They're pushing a product big time. Costco doesn't have high quality meat, and it's likely full of hormones too. Don't eat there.

This idea that "CARBS = BAD" or "X = BAD" just seems so ridiculous.

There are cultures with low obesity levels and without much healthy trouble that regularly include "unhealthy" carb-rich food in their diet almost daily. Being healthy is about what you eat, but also HOW you eat it. It's about cultural choices just as much as it is dietary ones, I think.

Everyone in this thread is disagreeing with each other because it's not really an exact science. Find what works for you, and stick with it. Takes time, but it's worth it

Its a good book. I think it was someone on CDC who recommended it to me. People don't even need to read it to get the main idea from the book. It can be summarized in seven words. "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
Posted Image

#35 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

Personally, from what I've learned from school, online and general knowledge, I feel timing teaches your body to build a sense of when its going to be fed so it doesn't store fats. Some people may dispute it but its worked for my family and a couple of my friends. Cory Gregor the founder of musclepharm and his team also emphasize timing. Whether its for weight loss or building muscle, its about timing. To build and retin muscle you should be taking your supplements at the proper times (bcaa's before and after working out). Good high protein breakfasts could be egg whites cottage cheese, turkey bacon..etc

http://vonsfitnessti...utrient-timing/

BTW the only time your body stores fat is when you are in a caloric surplus.

And it's not really surprising the founder of a supplement company and his esteemed team of SALESMAN vouch for their product.

Save your money, eat protein through whole foods.
Posted Image
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#36 NucksPatsFan

NucksPatsFan

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

http://vonsfitnessti...utrient-timing/

BTW the only time your body stores fat is when you are in a caloric surplus.

And it's not really surprising the founder of a supplement company and his esteemed team of SALESMAN vouch for their product.

Save your money, eat protein through whole foods.

According to that article, if I only get 1500 calories in during the day, it's totally fine to eat a 1000 calorie meal at night JUST to hit my calorie needs..LOL. Yeah, ok then.

We should do a study. I'll get a couple people going on eating meals spaced out during the day, you get a couple people eating whenever whether its at 10 at night or 5 in the morning. We'll see which group produces results. I agree that being on a strict, forced timed schedule to the point you're bringing containers of food to outings with friends or whatnot is stupid and not needed. But I disagree with that no general spacing is required. For myself, personally, the proof is in the pudding, or the weight loss I should say, that spacing out meals works. Friends and family of mine have been trying for years and spent hundreds on supplements to lose weight and they do what that article says, they eat fine and not fast food or processed foods, but they'll eat too much at night or not enough during the day or not enough for breakfast and it hasn't worked. In fact, everyone I know including two friends who are olympic weight lifters, well junior olympic anyways since they're not on Canada's olympic team, who have a nice body and are very athletic eat meals around the same time every day.

21m9lso.jpg

#37 diesel_3

diesel_3

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 11,676 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

According to that article, if I only get 1500 calories in during the day, it's totally fine to eat a 1000 calorie meal at night JUST to hit my calorie needs..LOL. Yeah, ok then.

We should do a study. I'll get a couple people going on eating meals spaced out during the day, you get a couple people eating whenever whether its at 10 at night or 5 in the morning. We'll see which group produces results. I agree that being on a strict, forced timed schedule to the point you're bringing containers of food to outings with friends or whatnot is stupid and not needed. But I disagree with that no general spacing is required. For myself, personally, the proof is in the pudding, or the weight loss I should say, that spacing out meals works. Friends and family of mine have been trying for years and spent hundreds on supplements to lose weight and they do what that article says, they eat fine and not fast food or processed foods, but they'll eat too much at night or not enough during the day or not enough for breakfast and it hasn't worked. In fact, everyone I know including two friends who are olympic weight lifters, well junior olympic anyways since they're not on Canada's olympic team, who have a nice body and are very athletic eat meals around the same time every day.

If your maintenance was 3,000 calories then having a 1,000 calorie meal to make it 2,500 calories (Putting you at a -500 calorie deficit) Then ya, that is exactly what the article said and is right....

No, it's ok...I tried to help the OP out, He can choose to follow whatever he wants, but it's calories in vs. calories out. Meal timing is so irrelevant, but it worked for you...I was just trying to say it's not necessary to spread out meal timings.

Also, i'm assuming your friends or family members don't count the calories or weigh the food? Most people are so surprised at how many calories they were actually consuming when they started counting, I know I was amazed when I realized what I was eating before. So I can understand why, if they had small meals then over ate at night (Without counting calories) then ya, they would over eat. Had they counted calories and alotted a certain amount per meal but still kept themselves in a deficit, they would lose fat...if not, then they were miscalculating or they defy the laws of thermo-dynamics

We can agree to disagree :) I'm just happy to see people wanting to change their lives!

Edited by diesel_3, 28 May 2012 - 06:14 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
SUPPORT YOUR TROOPS!

#38 digitalaudio

digitalaudio

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hey if it works for you thats cool. But just know this. You are using anecdotal evidence to back up your claim. Anecdotal is among the weakest type of evidence and it its not considered scientific. On the other end of the spectrum is large randomized clinical placebo controlled trials. These trials backup what the user above me posted. Timing is irrelevant, what is relevant is daily calorie surplus/deficiency.

#39 Tortorella's Rant

Tortorella's Rant

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,629 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Do you post on the bodybuilding.com forum? Its pretty cool. I think about half of the posts are broscience.

A lot of it is crap. Stick to the articles and that's it. I really wouldn't put much stock in what someone says. It will confuse you more than anything. Someone who may seem credible says something then someone else who also is credible contradicts what the other guy said and then you've got a huge debate going on.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.