The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Questions About Weight Loss

EoH

I went from a chubby no body in grade 9 to being in the best shape I could possibly be and starring on all the sports team and still am in great shape, brought my moms weight down 60 pounds and my sisters down 15 pounds using one method only. You don't need fancy schmancy supplements or anything.

A little cardio and weights every day

high protein zero carb breakfast

medium protein low carb lunch

medium/high protein and very low carb dinner.

Meals are 5 hours apart, in between meals eat a granola bar or something healthy to snack on.

average day would be breakfast 9am, snack 11am, lunch at 2pm, snack at 4pm, dinner at 7pm.

Eat healthy and use your feet.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies I appreciate it very much and read every single one of them.

Now to start things off I'm not in the best of shape since graduating from highschool (since physicial education was mandatory) and moving onto university. For starters, after looking at all the replies I stopped doing my cuurent diet and plan to move onto to a diet that roughly gives me around 2000 calories per day. I do not neccesarily know where to start. For example, I already bought store-bought package few days ago of turkey breast meat and I do plan on finishing it off.

Some other questions that comes to mind mind are this

I went from a chubby no body in grade 9 to being in the best shape I could possibly be and starring on all the sports team and still am in great shape, brought my moms weight down 60 pounds and my sisters down 15 pounds using one method only. You don't need fancy schmancy supplements or anything.

Meals are 5 hours apart, in between meals eat a granola bar or something healthy to snack on.

average day would be breakfast 9am, snack 11am, lunch at 2pm, snack at 4pm, dinner at 7pm.

There is so much broscience in this thread...

At the end of the day it comes down to calories in vs. calories out.

Cardio is NOT necessary for fat loss...a calorie deficit is, cardio just supplements a calorie deficit. So if you like doing cardio, then do cardio but know it's not necessary, eating below your caloric maintenance is.

Eating 'clean' is a myth...You can have whatever you want as long as you are counting ACCURATE calories and staying within your deficit.

Lift heavy weights using compound movements (Squats, Bench, Dead lifts, Chin ups) and add in a couple accessory exercises. (If you wish)

Keep protein high (1-1.5g per LB of bodyweight) so then you won't have to worry about losing lean body mass.

Like I said, there is no secret, no having to eat 6 small meal a day broscience crap it just comes down to a calorie deficit. If you have a smart phone, get my fitness pal to aid you in counting calories...and a food scale. Like somebody else said, it's a slow process, marathon not a sprint.

Alot of what you said is right but lots is wrong eating smaller meals more often makes your mind think its full and more importantly keeps your metabolism going which is a proven thing. Also eating clean isn't a huge deal but if your eating stuff that has low calories but high sodium your body bloats and retains water more your only a little heavier but you will look bigger then you actually are

As far as Occam's Razor is concerned I'm pretty sure we can agree to a virtual consensus bare minimum OP should be exercising more.. if he has any metabolism at all and the body type that can lose weight, decent amounts of exercise is the factor of preponderance to make that happen.

The only thing proven about it is it works if at the end of the day you are in a CALORIC DEFICIT. It's about lifestyle, I do intermittent fasting only because I like to only eat 2 huge meals a day. If you want to eat 5-6 meals a day then go ahead, if you are in a calorie deficit that's all you need, there is no 'keeping your metabolism going' Please link me to a source that says eating certain hours apart and x amount of meals a day does this to you? It's a calorie deficit that helps you lose weight, simple as that.

I have lost 80 pounds eating 2 huge meals a day some even included ice cream for dessert on a regular basis all because I counted calories and alotted myself that number of calories to enjoy some ice cream. I lift heavy weights 3x a week with little to no cardio. It's simple, the hardest thing for people is just the dedication to it.

Maybe in the short term, its all about the calories. In the long term overall health and food cravings should be taken into consideration. Think about if someone eats a balanced diet versus someone who eats the same number of calories of junk food. The person eating a balanced diet will be overall healthier, more energetic and his diet will result in less cravings of food. With better overall health, it will probably enable the person to continue the calorie deficit and pursue an active lifestyle. Someone eating the same amount of calories of junk food will be lethargic and have many more food cravings.

Saying that all fats are bad is BS. Your body needs fats in the diet. Unsaturated fats are good for you but you still need to watch how much of it you eat. The jury is still out on whether saturated fats are harmful or beneficial. Trans fats are bad for you and this is something that is well proven.

Sugar is something that you don't need though. Its good in sports drinks for fast replenishment if you work out. The rest of the time, you will want to avoid it if you are looking to lose body fat because it spikes your insulin. Insulin spikes will result in fat storage.

Also, there is something I wanted to say about the number of meals per day. I found when eating two large meals a day, I would usually crash after the meal as opposed to eating four moderate sized meals. I found out the "keeping up metabolism" to be untrue but having several meals resulting in less of a crash to be more effective for me anyways.

Maybe in the short term, its all about the calories. In the long term overall health and food cravings should be taken into consideration. Think about if someone eats a balanced diet versus someone who eats the same number of calories of junk food. The person eating a balanced diet will be overall healthier, more energetic and his diet will result in less cravings of food. With better overall health, it will probably enable the person to continue the calorie deficit and pursue an active lifestyle. Someone eating the same amount of calories of junk food will be lethargic and have many more food cravings.

Saying that all fats are bad is BS. Your body needs fats in the diet. Unsaturated fats are good for you but you still need to watch how much of it you eat. The jury is still out on whether saturated fats are harmful or beneficial. Trans fats are bad for you and this is something that is well proven.

Sugar is something that you don't need though. Its good in sports drinks for fast replenishment if you work out. The rest of the time, you will want to avoid it if you are looking to lose body fat because it spikes your insulin. Insulin spikes will result in fat storage.

Also, there is something I wanted to say about the number of meals per day. I found when eating two large meals a day, I would usually crash after the meal as opposed to eating four moderate sized meals. I found out the "keeping up metabolism" to be untrue but having several meals resulting in less of a crash to be more effective for me anyways.

Sitch,

I totally agree...I'm not saying it's HEALTHY to fill your macronutrients with a Big Mac or Ice Cream, i'm just saying if you fit it into your calories a little bit of moderation will keep you normal. That is why so many people have Refeed's (Due to leptin levels being so low from being in a deficit for so long) or go on diet breaks (Google: Lyle Macdonald) But you're right...200 calories of brocolli over 200 calories of ice cream, I'm sure there would be a difference in satiety and energy levels.

I like your last paragraph, too...You tried a method that worked for me but didn't for you and vise versa, Thank you for not spreading broscience, lol. I'd totally spot you any day....I MEAN!

I lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago using a "fad diet" that I transitioned into healthy living. I don't know why so many people hate on "fad diets" -- I was able to lose a lot of weight in a fraction of the time other people did.

Nerds online always say "IT'S WATER WEIGHT! IT'S MUSCLE! YOU'LL GAIN IT ALL BACK!" but if you use your extreme/fad diet as a stepping stone into healthy living, it's an extremely effective and encouraging way to shed 15-20 pounds really, really quickly.

I didn't put much back on (maybe 5 pounds), but about 20 more stayed off.

Read Michael Pollan's books if you're interested in this sort of stuff. "In Defense of Food" is a really good one, as is The Omnivore's Dilemma. Or if you're lazy, just go watch some interviews with him on Youtube. He would definitely say that buying Dempsters bread (regardless of if it's whole wheat or not) is a bad idea. A good rule of his is: don't buy things that have commercials on TV. Dempsters is part of a corporation that makes a lot of unhealthy food. They're pushing a product big time. Costco doesn't have high quality meat, and it's likely full of hormones too. Don't eat there.

This idea that "CARBS = BAD" or "X = BAD" just seems so ridiculous.

There are cultures with low obesity levels and without much healthy trouble that regularly include "unhealthy" carb-rich food in their diet almost daily. Being healthy is about what you eat, but also HOW you eat it. It's about cultural choices just as much as it is dietary ones, I think.

Everyone in this thread is disagreeing with each other because it's not really an exact science. Find what works for you, and stick with it. Takes time, but it's worth it

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies I appreciate it very much and read every single one of them.

Now to start things off I'm not in the best of shape since graduating from highschool (since physicial education was mandatory) and moving onto university. For starters, after looking at all the replies I stopped doing my cuurent diet and plan to move onto to a diet that roughly gives me around 2000 calories per day. I do not neccesarily know where to start. For example, I already bought store-bought package few days ago of turkey breast meat and I do plan on finishing it off.

Some other questions that comes to mind mind are this

My breakfast right now consists of rarely any protein. I'm just wondering what should I start off as a good breakfast meal and if I should eat a high protein breakfast, and medium protein for lunch and dinner.

Another question I have is, is time really essential? Like splitting up meals, having snacks etc etc. I usually do have my 3 courses, but not snacks. I'm the type that usually just eats (whatever I've prepared) when I get hungry. So if im starting to feel hungry, I'll just eat my lunch and vice versa for dinner (it roughly gives me good few hours before each meal).

I lost quite a bit of weight a couple years ago using a "fad diet" that I transitioned into healthy living. I don't know why so many people hate on "fad diets" -- I was able to lose a lot of weight in a fraction of the time other people did.

Nerds online always say "IT'S WATER WEIGHT! IT'S MUSCLE! YOU'LL GAIN IT ALL BACK!" but if you use your extreme/fad diet as a stepping stone into healthy living, it's an extremely effective and encouraging way to shed 15-20 pounds really, really quickly.

I didn't put much back on (maybe 5 pounds), but about 20 more stayed off.

Read Michael Pollan's books if you're interested in this sort of stuff. "In Defense of Food" is a really good one, as is The Omnivore's Dilemma. Or if you're lazy, just go watch some interviews with him on Youtube. He would definitely say that buying Dempsters bread (regardless of if it's whole wheat or not) is a bad idea. A good rule of his is: don't buy things that have commercials on TV. Dempsters is part of a corporation that makes a lot of unhealthy food. They're pushing a product big time. Costco doesn't have high quality meat, and it's likely full of hormones too. Don't eat there.

This idea that "CARBS = BAD" or "X = BAD" just seems so ridiculous.

There are cultures with low obesity levels and without much healthy trouble that regularly include "unhealthy" carb-rich food in their diet almost daily. Being healthy is about what you eat, but also HOW you eat it. It's about cultural choices just as much as it is dietary ones, I think.

Everyone in this thread is disagreeing with each other because it's not really an exact science. Find what works for you, and stick with it. Takes time, but it's worth it

Personally, from what I've learned from school, online and general knowledge, I feel timing teaches your body to build a sense of when its going to be fed so it doesn't store fats. Some people may dispute it but its worked for my family and a couple of my friends. Cory Gregor the founder of musclepharm and his team also emphasize timing. Whether its for weight loss or building muscle, its about timing. To build and retin muscle you should be taking your supplements at the proper times (bcaa's before and after working out). Good high protein breakfasts could be egg whites cottage cheese, turkey bacon..etc

According to that article, if I only get 1500 calories in during the day, it's totally fine to eat a 1000 calorie meal at night JUST to hit my calorie needs..LOL. Yeah, ok then.

We should do a study. I'll get a couple people going on eating meals spaced out during the day, you get a couple people eating whenever whether its at 10 at night or 5 in the morning. We'll see which group produces results. I agree that being on a strict, forced timed schedule to the point you're bringing containers of food to outings with friends or whatnot is stupid and not needed. But I disagree with that no general spacing is required. For myself, personally, the proof is in the pudding, or the weight loss I should say, that spacing out meals works. Friends and family of mine have been trying for years and spent hundreds on supplements to lose weight and they do what that article says, they eat fine and not fast food or processed foods, but they'll eat too much at night or not enough during the day or not enough for breakfast and it hasn't worked. In fact, everyone I know including two friends who are olympic weight lifters, well junior olympic anyways since they're not on Canada's olympic team, who have a nice body and are very athletic eat meals around the same time every day.

According to that article, if I only get 1500 calories in during the day, it's totally fine to eat a 1000 calorie meal at night JUST to hit my calorie needs..LOL. Yeah, ok then.

We should do a study. I'll get a couple people going on eating meals spaced out during the day, you get a couple people eating whenever whether its at 10 at night or 5 in the morning. We'll see which group produces results. I agree that being on a strict, forced timed schedule to the point you're bringing containers of food to outings with friends or whatnot is stupid and not needed. But I disagree with that no general spacing is required. For myself, personally, the proof is in the pudding, or the weight loss I should say, that spacing out meals works. Friends and family of mine have been trying for years and spent hundreds on supplements to lose weight and they do what that article says, they eat fine and not fast food or processed foods, but they'll eat too much at night or not enough during the day or not enough for breakfast and it hasn't worked. In fact, everyone I know including two friends who are olympic weight lifters, well junior olympic anyways since they're not on Canada's olympic team, who have a nice body and are very athletic eat meals around the same time every day.

Archived