The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wanting To Leave My Job Need Advice

CanuckGAME

Hey guys, I have been at my job now 2 years, I'm a sales person for a potatoe chip company that I won't name, the pay is excellent, 50,000 a year,

The hours are extremely long but I really enjoy it, well I sort of enjoy the work but everything else is horrible I'm not going to get into why I want to leave it has to do with personal conflict with a couple of employees that just brings me down and makes my life a living hell, I'm so stressed out I haven't been this stressed in my life, like its to the point where I'm starting to slip into a depression and don't even have any drive left inside me for life, I almost want to give up,

I want a fresh start in life, I am trying to move to kelowna, and I'm unsure if I should apply for a transfer and stay with this company or if I should try something different,

I have a mortgage and plan on selling my home and buying another in kelowna, I am 22 years old, with only a grade 12 education,

So the advice I'm hoping for is, I was wondering what jobs are out there where I can jump in and make 1200-1600 every 2 weeks?? In kelowna to boot, I am willing to go to school again but only if its say a 1 year course and I can jump right into a career, because I have major bills to pay and as it stands right now I am doing well financially in life I just feel like I'm selling my soul and happiness for money

Is there any sort of careers out there that will pay me as well as I am being payed now? Im willing to try anything but any suggestions at all help thanks so much

Sorry if there are lots of spelling mistakes I'm writing this all on my phone haha

Hey guys, I have been at my job now 2 years, I'm a sales person for a potatoe chip company that I won't name, the pay is excellent, 50,000 a year,

The hours are extremely long but I really enjoy it, well I sort of enjoy the work but everything else is horrible I'm not going to get into why I want to leave it has to do with personal conflict with a couple of employees that just brings me down and makes my life a living hell, I'm so stressed out I haven't been this stressed in my life, like its to the point where I'm starting to slip into a depression and don't even have any drive left inside me for life, I almost want to give up,

I want a fresh start in life, I am trying to move to kelowna, and I'm unsure if I should apply for a transfer and stay with this company or if I should try something different,

I have a mortgage and plan on selling my home and buying another in kelowna, I am 22 years old, with only a grade 12 education,

So the advice I'm hoping for is, I was wondering what jobs are out there where I can jump in and make 1200-1600 every 2 weeks?? In kelowna to boot, I am willing to go to school again but only if its say a 1 year course and I can jump right into a career, because I have major bills to pay and as it stands right now I am doing well financially in life I just feel like I'm selling my soul and happiness for money

Is there any sort of careers out there that will pay me as well as I am being payed now? Im willing to try anything but any suggestions at all help thanks so much

Sorry if there are lots of spelling mistakes I'm writing this all on my phone haha

1: Get a degree and do part-time job at the same time but it will be tough.

2: get another job but don't leave first job right away. (take like 1 or 2 week leave at first job and work at new place. If you feel comfortable than take it.

The advice/suggestions I'm providing is free, so please take it for what it is worth...

It's been my experience that it is always easier to find another job when you have one. So, go find a recruiting company, and meet with a recruiter so that they can assess your skills/experience/etc. and they will try to match you with a job that is a fit for you and the hiring company. In addition to getting your Cirruculum Vitae (i.e., resume) in order and speaking about your skills, experiences, successes, failures, etc., make sure you let the recruiters know what your life situation is and what your long term goals are. Once this is done, the recruiting firm will do their best to find you interviews for jobs.

You can find a fairly comprehensive list of recruiters by doing a google search under "recruiters". The recruiting firms will not charge you any money -- they make their money from companies that have hired them to find them good candidates (a good recruiting firm for your situation is Searchwest).

Regardless of where it's posted on the Forums and in the spirit of honoring Rick Rypien and the Canucks Mindcheck Program, good on you to reach out and ask for suggestions to members of the Forum.

One final suggestion. Do your best to not make any decisions based on your stress level or emotional state...take a week or two of holidays and take a hard look at your situation to make the best decision for yourself. Sort of like what MG and Canucks management have done since their elimination from the playoffs...you need to detach yourself from the emotions to make good decisions.

Lastly, I wish you all the best...I know these are difficult decisions to make. I hope I've been able to help in some small way. All the best.

Peace out.

Just a shot in the dark, but by any chance are you not a heterosexual thus the conflicts with your coworkes which have nearly driven you into depression? Not saying that I've gotten the impression that you might not be heterosexual or anything, but I know of someone who is gay and people at work found out and made his life miserable. If that is the case, I personally would transfer to Kelowna since it's where you want to live, you are familiar with the job and wont have to go through training, and no one there knows who you are so you won't get any sh*t from people. While you're there you can even do a couple online classes at TRU or UBCO

OH dude...

I'm like you, the best I have is a grade 12 education. I am also a certified at a few things, but yes like you, grade 12 is my highest.

If you have a job at the age of 22 that is paying you 50 grand, F IN HANG ON TO THE JOB FOR THE LOVE OF YOUR LIFE.

I was recently unemployed, for over a year, looking for work was sooooo f in hard, I was at a point were I was just screw this. If all you have is a grade 12 education, I gaurantee you, you will not find a 50 k job, anywhere, I'ts impossible.

If you love the job but hate the people, keep the job.

If you hate the job but like the people quit the job

If you hate the people and job then you should quit.

Trust me. I've been working at many companies, if you make 50 k per year, with a grade 12 education, you are damn lucky, you are making more then some teachers out there.

Anyways I was wondering if you can help get a job at your company. 50 k per year, omg, I got sales reps, at one of the largest online electronics company in Canada, that I work with, that makes a fraction of 50 k.

I mean to be nice when I tell you that you need to take a look at why you are letting other people (regardless of what they are like) hav e this sort of impact on you. Im 48 and in every job I have ever worked at the there were people who were dicks to be around and work with. I have had my own company for 22 yrs now and also have certain clients that are really difficult. I used to let people like that stress me out, make me feel bad and even let them get me depressed. Long term it resulted in anxiety and chronic stress. I got some help and learned that dealing with the problem was not by trying to change my surroundings but to change how I dealt with these people/situations.

No matter where you go you will have people like this. Its you that needs to change not your surroundings. Stay in the job you have and go see someone to help you deal with these people and your emotions in an appropriate fashion.

Good luck with it. You are still young and kudos to you for asking for help

Archived