#1 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

POPULAR

It goes without saying that armchair GMing at this time of year is pretty fun and it's the only thing to do as we wait for the playoffs to end and the draft, trades, and free agency to begin. So I thought it would be interesting to see who your Top 10 off-season targets would be if you were GMMG. Here's my list:

1. Shea Weber (if Suter leaves and Nashville looks to trade, wouldn't you consider packaging Edler, Schroeder, and some other piece? Of course it's a longshot, and I'd prefer signing him next off-season as a UFA, but if Nashville decides to move him, I'd be fine with moving a few assets and signing him immediately to a long-term deal.)

2. Justin Schultz (the ball's in his court, but I've gotta think Salo won't be offered a contract, and if playing in his hometown appeals to him, everything I've heard about this kid is that he could fit right into the lineup. Maybe Tanev plays the steady role alongside Edler, Schultz plays with Ballard, and quarterbacks the PP with Edler.)

3. Paul Gaustad (I might also say Chris Kelly or Jarret Stoll here, and I'm guessing they'll all get similar money, but I like Gaustad's size, faceoff prowess, and the guy hits and fights; Hansen and Higgins are great third-line wingers, but a huge centreman with some physicality would create a powerful checking line. Also, I prefer playing Schroeder on the second line while Kesler's out to see what happens when we have a play-making centre to play with Booth and whoever we target for the second line right wing role--assuming the plan is to have Kassian cut his teeth on the fourth line for the time being.)

4. Joe Pavelski/Ryane Clowe (After another disappointing end to their season, you've got to expect San Jose will be making big changes. I can't see Gillis being interested in Marleau or Thornton, even though I'd be looking to move one of those contracts if I were Doug Wilson. But like Chicago, San Jose has got to replace Niemi as their starter, and maybe Luongo enters the picture. So who could you get in return? Pavelski may be a bit of a stretch, although he'd fit beautifully with either the Sedins or on the second line. Or how about Ryane Clowe? He actually collects more assists than goals, he's a warrior, big, from Newfoundland, and he'd make for a nice net presence wherever you put him.)

5. Nail Yakupov (I think Edmonton is looking for a trading partner because they want defensemen, maybe one high in the draft and one via trade or free agency. Columbus won't do it because I'm certain they don't want to draft another Russian after failing with Filatov and Zherdev. Neither Montreal nor Toronto will do it because what they need is a big centreman, so they'll be looking at Galchenyuk and Grigorenko. How good would Yakupov look on the right wing with Booth and Kesler? What would it take? If you think you can land Schultz on July 1, maybe a package of Edler, Raymond, and Vancouver's 1st rounder would get it done. I also think Edmonton needs some muscle to protect their young stars, but we're not trading Kassian and I don't know who else we have that could fit that bill. Or Maybe Gillis needs to get creative and land a Top 5 pick to then flip it as part of a package to land Yakupov.)

6. Luke Schenn (other than Jake Gardiner, every defenseman's stock in Toronto is low, which bodes well for a trade if Burke is interested in Luongo. If the Weber or Schultz possibilities don't pan out, I could see Shenn, Komisarek, or Cody Franson as the return, maybe along with a 2nd or 3rd rounder. Obviously, Weber is the ideal because he's a beast offensively and defensively; Schultz could step right in and replace the puck-rushing improvisational ability we lost with Ehrhoff's departure; but our D could also use some added toughness, and Schenn would be my first choice of the three right-handed D-men Toronto would be open to moving. I think he still has the tools to be a top-pairing shutdown defender with some offensive upside, and the guy shoots right and threw 270 hits. Could be a nice steadying influence alongside Edler.)

7. Ryan Malone (This guy is a warrior, and at $4.5 million/year for another three years, his contract isn't too hard to swallow. If Tampa has any interest in Luongo, this is the guy I'd want back. Unless Brett Connolly happens to be available, that is. While Kassian cuts his teeth on the fourth line, Malone can fill the missing second line role. But I think Yzerman wants Schneider, not Luongo. And if Schneider's not available, I'd guess he'd turn his attention to Jonathan Bernier or some other young goaltender who can step right in and assume a starter's role.)

8. David Clarkson/Anton Volchenkov (Alright. If Jersey wins the final, which I don't think they will, and Brodeur retires on top, which I don't think he will even if they win, then Luongo to New Jersey becomes a possibility. If this happens, I'd ask for Adam Larsson first, but Jersey wouldn't trade him. Then I'd ask for Clarkson, then Volchenkov.)

9. Patrick Kane (He's a partying prima donna, no doubt, but he's a playmaking winger and has a skill set unlike anyone else in the league. Lord knows, Vancouver doesn't have anyone with slick moves and speed like that, although Schroeder, Rodin, and Jensen may bring some of that to the table as they graduate to The Show. Anyway, like Yakupov, Kane would add a more dynamic dimension to the second line because he could find Kesler and Booth when they're driving the net and he can certainly keep up with them. And who knows? Maybe Chicago is interested in Luongo, although I think they'll look at Tim Thomas first. Wouldn't you? But if they want Luongo, maybe they're tired of Kane's antics, and maybe Gillis has realized that a team of nice guys with high IQs needs an element of cockiness and flare. And maybe those nice guys could help Kane tone down the partying. Don't you think we could use some more Bieksa-style swagger and less of the Kesler/Lapierre-style diving and whining?)

9. Kris Versteeg (In looking at Florida's lineup if Luongo goes there, Gudbranson would obviously be a great addition, but like Larsson in Jersey and Hedman in Tampa, these are guys that just won't get moved. Not for Luongo, at least. But Versteeg is a right winger with second-line ability, he gets more assists than goals, and he's 26, so he could be a nice complement to Kesler and Booth.

10. Jay Beagle (He's an RFA, but I'd make a pitch. 26 years old, just coming into his own, a great faceoff man who's coming off an outstanding playoffs, a 6'3" centreman, he'd be a great fit on the third line. I only list him lower than Gaustad, because I think Washington matches any offer we give him.)

What's your Top 10?

Edited by TheCanuckleheads.ca, 27 May 2012 - 10:21 AM.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#2 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,424 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Parise?
Posted Image

#3 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

POPULAR

I honestly think its going to be another quiet summer with a late trade after camp... Think reclamation high risk low reward UFAs .Don't expect much from MG this year...

#4 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,471 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:24 AM

I honestly think its going to be another quiet summer with a late trade after camp... Think reclamation high risk low reward UFAs .Don't expect much from MG this year...

#5 jonnycanuck46

jonnycanuck46

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

POPULAR

I stopped reading when Patrick Kane's name appeared.

Justin Schultz is our guy, I'd be happy with him, another depth d-man, a top-six forward, and a couple bottom sixes for our offseason.
Posted Image

Ephesians 2:7-9

"That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."

#6 Toews

Toews

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:25 AM

Hawks will not be interested in any deal involving Luongo, especially for Kane. We already have two goalies under contract, and if that isnt enough Bowman may even consider going after Harding/Vokoun in free agency. Hawks management still believes that Crawford can be a decent goalie down the line, sorry but I highly doubt the Hawks have any interest in Luongo.

#7 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:26 AM

Yeah, I didn't list Parise or Suter just because I don't see the fit. I don't see Gillis paying the kind of term and money they'll demand. And I guess I see three holes that need to be filled, so the list goes with a few possibilities for each: right-handed Top 4 D-man; second-line right winger; and third-line centre.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#8 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

In a perfect world:

Sedins / Burrows
Kassian / Kesler / Parise
Higgins / Pahlsson / Hansen
Weise or Bitz / Lapierre / Volpatti

Out: Malhotra, Ebbett, Duco, Oreskovich, Raymond, Booth

Hamhuis/Beiksa
Edler/Schultz
Garrison/Schenn

Out: Ballard, Salo

Schneider
(Insert Backup)

Edited by Badassian9, 27 May 2012 - 10:37 AM.

Posted Image

#9 keslerian one

keslerian one

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:34 AM

Justin Schultz is probably the only name on that list that has a faint possibility of coming to Vancouver this off-season.

#10 Tokasmoka

Tokasmoka

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Hedman and Malone as a return for Luongo + ??? would be epic. Then sign Shultz as a FA and its money in the bank. After we win the cup next year then its easy pickings for Shea Weber as he'll want in on this dynasty.

#11 Tony Romo

Tony Romo

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

Sedin sedin burrows
Booth kesler boyes
Higgins Kelly Hansen
Kassian lapierre malhotra

Hamhuis bieksa
Edler garrison
Salo tanev

Schneider
Giguire
Posted Image Posted Image

Thanks to Raoul Duke for the Russell Wilson sig.

#12 Steve Carell

Steve Carell

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,613 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

You did #9 twice... that's what stood out for me.

#13 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64,601 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

Our offense is alright, just need makes some changes in our D and maybe in goal?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - Higgins
Hansen - Pahlsson - Kassian
Bitz - Lapierre - Malhotra

Edler - Garrison
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard? - Salo

Luongo?
Schneider?
Posted Image

#14 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hawks will not be interested in any deal involving Luongo, especially for Kane. We already have two goalies under contract, and if that isnt enough Bowman may even consider going after Harding/Vokoun in free agency. Hawks management still believes that Crawford can be a decent goalie down the line, sorry but I highly doubt the Hawks have any interest in Luongo.

Yep. Makes sense. And maybe Luongo isn't the trade bait, but I'm just thinking that Gillis, who seems to me to be in the same managerial mould as Bill Belichik, has an appetite for reforming players by surrounding them with a strong family-style system. Kane's done some stupid stuff the way Randy Moss had, and Belichick got the absolute best out of Moss. At the time, the Patriots needed a deep threat, and Moss was the guy. Vancouver's second line needs a playmaker, and maybe that's Jordan Schroeder, or maybe you inquire about Kane because he plays like a playmaking centre as a winger, and that could fit very well with Kesler and Booth.

Edited by TheCanuckleheads.ca, 27 May 2012 - 10:41 AM.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#15 Durl Dixsun

Durl Dixsun

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:42 AM

POPULAR

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Tangelos

Tangelos

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,317 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:43 AM

In a perfect world:

Sedins / Burrows
Kassian / Kesler / Parise
Higgins / Pahlsson / Hansen
Weise or Bitz / Lapierre / Volpatti

Out: Malhotra, Ebbett, Duco, Oreskovich, Raymond, Booth

Hamhuis/Beiksa
Edler/Schultz
Garrison/Schenn

Out: Ballard, Salo

Schneider
(Insert Backup)

Replace Pahlsson with Martin Hanzal and we have ourselves a championship team!
Posted Image

Previously:
6OH!4, Doug The Thug Glatt

#17 Toews

Toews

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:47 AM

Yep. Makes sense. And maybe Luongo isn't the trade bait, but I'm just thinking that Gillis, who seems to me to be in the same managerial mould as Bill Belichik, has an appetite for reforming players by surrounding them with a strong family-style system. Kane's done some stupid stuff the way Randy Moss had, and Belichick got the absolute best out of Moss. At the time, the Patriots needed a deep threat, and Moss was the guy. Vancouver's second line needs a playmaker, and maybe that's Jordan Scroeder, or maybe you inquire about Kane because he plays like a playmaking centre as a winger, and that could fit very well with Kesler and Booth.

Kane isn't as big a problem as people on here believe him to be. Aside from the one incident Kane has for the most part kept his nose clean. Is he role model or an athlete that some of the younger Hawks fans can look up to? Nope but he certainly isnt a problem in the dressing room either. Hawks will not trade Kane unless we have something coming back that warrants giving up a 23 year old elite winger who has already won a Cup for his team. It isn't happening especially for a 33 year old goalie in Luongo. Also maturity comes with age, it is highly unlikely that Kane will still be running wild for the rest of his hockey career.

#18 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:48 AM

You did #9 twice... that's what stood out for me.

Idiot! So stupid! God, I'm such an idiot!

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#19 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:02 AM

6. Luke Schenn...........

Clearly you're joking? You must live in the west where you don't see this guy play. If you believe he is one of the top 10 players you would go after, then sign me up to play. Schenn is so good the Leafs put him in the pressbox to show off how talented he is......

#20 TheCanuckleheads.ca

TheCanuckleheads.ca

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:12 AM

Clearly you're joking? You must live in the west where you don't see this guy play. If you believe he is one of the top 10 players you would go after, then sign me up to play. Schenn is so good the Leafs put him in the pressbox to show off how talented he is......

You don't think any of his struggles had to do with the Leafs horrid goaltending, their hit-everything all-the-time mentality, or Ron Wilson's coaching? I live in Montreal. I've seen the guy play. He's 22 and the Leafs have an uncanny ability to bring out the worst in their players. They played an offensive style before Carlyle came in that made a few forwards look good and that left their D and goaltending out to dry. Schenn and Komisarek and much better players than they've shown. They just need a solid structure around them, IMO.

Edited by TheCanuckleheads.ca, 27 May 2012 - 11:13 AM.

Posted Image
Bingo! Bango! Bongo!

#21 VanCityScout

VanCityScout

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,684 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

send Booth and Ballard packing

then maybe we'll talk

#22 canuckelhead70

canuckelhead70

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

You don't think any of his struggles had to do with the Leafs horrid goaltending, their hit-everything all-the-time mentality, or Ron Wilson's coaching?

goaltending has nothing to do with Schenn not being able to make a tape to tape pass, or how to bank the puck off the boards out of the defensive zone. Schenn is nervious when the puck is coming anywhere near him and is not able to make a split sceond decision as to where to play the puck.

#23 CanucksWino

CanucksWino

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

• Weber - obvious.
  • Suter - why not? He won't sign here, but just added temptation for Weber to come over to Van. Makes Ballard expendable. Upgrade over Edler if Edler needs to be moved as well
  • Parise - again, won't come here, but a complete player. Kills penalties, physical for a little guy, gets to the net... basically everything you wish Raymond would be, Parise is.
  • Justin Schultz - he's number one on a realistic list of Vancouver's off-season targets. Right-handed defenseman, young, cheap, BC boy, huge potential... the off-season's a success in my opinion if the Nucks get him, and nothing else.
  • Trade Luongo/sign Schneider for 2-4 years - can't have both goalies back to start the year. Just a toxic environment. Would dominate the conversation and be a huge distraction daily. In my opinion, just get something (pick/prospect) for Lou without taking a bad contract back. Or, like Ehrhoff, get a good player back, and dump a bad salary in the minors.
  • Prandon Prust - so you want "size that can play" on your 4th line?! He can skate, fight AND he was 1st unit PK for the Rangers in the playoffs! You want Kesler to play less hard minutes, this is a good place to start.
  • Aaron Asham - Prust was your 4th line LW, Asham is your 4th-line RW. Basically the same as above.
  • Travis Moen - a Chris Higgins type that can move up and down your lineup. Big, physical, and a little more skill than Prust/Asham. Can play in your top-6 if you need him to, or can be a great role player in the bottom-6. Cup champ.
  • Scott Clemenssen - not sold on Lack being able to play 20+ games in the NHL. If he is ready, great. If he's not, Schneider will need an experienced backup that can carry the load for short stretches in case of a injury to Schneider.
  • One Prospect Surprises: it's time for some prospects to make an impact. Even if just one of the following prospects made a jump this year, it would help the Nucks immensely: Schroeder, Tanev, Kassian, Jensen, etc...
Realistically, I'm really hoping for numbers 4 - 10 to happen. We'll see...

#24 riffraff

riffraff

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

This.

If Mike Gillis signs Schenn I will refer To Mike Gillis as Mike Milbury from that point.

Seriously though I'd like to see Malone here in some way. Booth for 'Malone straight up. There. I said it.
Posted Image

CanucksSayEh, on 12 March 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:
When the playoffs come around, nobody is scared of getting in a fight, but every night, they get their mom to check under the bed for Raffi Torres.

#25 kmotamed

kmotamed

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

I only want Lecavalier or Nash. Nothing more, nothing less.

#26 kesburlerows

kesburlerows

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

anybody notice that luongo looks like a brother of the native american on the hawks jersey's????
Posted Image

Thanks to K.Welly for the sig

1. Vancouver canucks

2a. Edmonton Oilers
2b. New Jersey Devils
2c. Buffalo Sabres
3. Tampa Bay Lightning

#27 Ukcanuckzfan

Ukcanuckzfan

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:50 PM

Blackhawks trading away Patrick kane really? :picard:
C:\Users\Vickrams account\Pictures\Ibrahim.gifC:\Users\Vickrams account\Pictures\Animation Gif what happened.gif

#28 Pablo

Pablo

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 965 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

DUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMBAAAAAAAA

Or Zach Yuen, smart vancouver kid! trade ballard fir him

#29 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

I think from your choices that are close to realistic acquisitions would be Schenn, Schultz, Malone and maybe Gaustad
Posted Image

#30 Clonedanielsedin

Clonedanielsedin

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

Malone would be a great fit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.