The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top 10 Off-Season Targets

Kesler for Staal. Straight up. Its obvious that AV doesnt like Kesler. Hes called him out twice now AND Gillis didnt defend him. Hes not liked by a few people in the Canuck community (yes I know people)...

1. Staal

2. Parenteau

3. Gaustad

4. Glass

1. Weber

2. Garrison

3. Schultz

1. Garon

Sedin - Sedin - Kesler

Burrows - Staal - Parenteau

Higgins - Gaustad - Hansen

Malhotra - Lapierre - Glass

(Kassian in Chicago)

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Ballard - Weber

Garrison - Schultz

(Salo)

Schneider

Garon

Parenteau, Gaustad, Glass, Garrison, and Schultz would all come out of free agency. Though compensation a la Ehrhoff may have to go to some of their teams to get negotiation rights.

Garon wouldn't take much to get out of TB for a backup position

Staal and Weber would obviously take a kings ransom to get.

Trade Bait:

Contracts: Loungo, Edler, Tanev, Alberts, Booth

Rights: Gragnani, Raymond, Weise

Prospects: Schroeder, Sauve, Rodin

Picks: 2012 1st, 2nd. 2013 2nd, 3rd

sigh... One can dream.

Realistically speaking... Its too hard to target a player involved in a blockbuster trade, so Ill stick to UFA's.

1. Justin Schultz. - Young puckmoving PPQB, plays the right side, local kid. Its all about destination for this guy, as he can only make so much under entry level deals. He'd be going in the top 5 if he was in the draft this year. Cant pass up this opportunity if theres a chance.

2. PA Parenteau - The speedy RW is certainly trending in the right direction. 38 goals, 82 assists and 217 hits over the last 2 season. Sounds like the perfect match for Kesler and Booth. Id throw a 4 year 16 million deal at him.

3. Barrett Jackman - The Trail BC naitive would be a calming stay at home presence that is capable of logging some solid minutes. A leader on the back end, who will get nasty when called upon. A Jackman - Bieksa pairing would be ideal.

4. Jason Garrison - Fluke year? Hard to tell, but he definatley has a bomb from the point, takes the body, and may take a slight discout to play for his hometown.

5. Jiri Hudler - Just turned 28, and could give us the production and backchecking combo we were looking for from Raymond for the next 3-4 years. Capable of putting up 50-60 points, solid 2nd line production.

6. Sami Salo. - If he'll take a deal similar to last years, hard to beat what he can bring to the table for that price. Solid depth option.

7. Travis Moen - If the price is right, he would make an amazing addition to the 4th line. Leadership qualities, hitting machine, capable of poting a few goals, and will drop the mitts.

8. Brandon Prust - Hits, fights, just turned 28, likley to be re-signed by NYR though.

9. Kristian Huselius - Coming off of 2 years of injury, he's high risk, but because of that reason, he likley could be had for 1 year at a bargain price. He's recorded 40+ assists in 3 of his last 4 healthy seasons, and is very capable of adding 60-70 points. He could be a huge reward if he can stay healthy and be that playmaker we're looking for Kes and Booth, aswell as adding some offence to the #2 PP unit.

10. David Jones - Put him on a line with the twins and he'll pop 30. Could be had at a discount price for that kind of production, and would allow for Burrows to drop beside Kesler, while allowing for a larger investment into the defence.

other notables:

Mikael Samuelsson. - I know I know, been there done that, but Mikael would provide a safe 40-50 points on the 2nd line, and we know that he'd be a great fit in the locker room. Probably looking for term though.

David Moss - Can play either wing, will hit alot, and has some underrated scoring potential. Great energy player for the 4th line.

Ryan Suter, and Zack Parise - Obviously theyd be sweet pickups, but are going to be uber expensive. Id rather add a combination of Parenteau and Jackman over shorter term than 1 of these players over the 6-8 years with NMC's theyre likley looking for.

Justin Shultz - heard a bit about the guy. From what I hear he has great potential so he would be on my list. Could be a decent cheap pick-up for a few years until we see what he can really do?

Malone - easily a good top 6 forward who is a warrior. Reminds me of Kesler at times, just for the fact that both want to play even with an injury.

In a perfect world:

Sedins / Burrows

Kassian / Kesler / Parise

Higgins / Pahlsson / Hansen

Weise or Bitz / Lapierre / Volpatti

Out: Malhotra, Ebbett, Duco, Oreskovich, Raymond, Booth

Hamhuis/Beiksa

Edler/Schultz

Garrison/Schenn

Out: Ballard, Salo

Schneider

(Insert Backup)

Who knows who is available or what GMMG will be able to pull this offseason, but the status quo will not cut it.

Sure we have a good team, but in the back of my mind I think of the flames and their trajectory this past decade. They signed a bunch of players who had former flamer glory to contracts with NTC's. Sound familiar?

I have faith that we won't end up like them, but it is a concern. It's demonstrative of the kind of complacency that can kill a team when coupled with scanty access to blue chip prospects.

Yeah, I didn't list Parise or Suter just because I don't see the fit. I don't see Gillis paying the kind of term and money they'll demand. And I guess I see three holes that need to be filled, so the list goes with a few possibilities for each: right-handed Top 4 D-man; second-line right winger; and third-line centre.

Since most of the higher end guys will cost a fortune, and I doubt we'll throw an 8 million dollar contract at someone like Parise, I think that targeting a mid range guy would be a better bet. While tough and big is in vogue, to be honest, our 2nd line's problem is the lack of a guy who actually wants to pass the puck. Kesler is not that guy and Booth would have to look the word "pass" up in a dictionary. I'd test the waters on how much Huselius might get as a UFA (provided he has rehabbed from his injuries last season).

The guy has puck skills which are probably in the top 10 in the league, and one of the biggest knocks on him is he doesn't like to shoot as much as he should (considering he has a very very good wrist shot). Putting a guy who thinks PASS first (and second) before thinking shoot, on a line with Kesler and Booth would probably see both of those guys be 30-40 goal men. The line needs a real passer so desperately it's not even funny.

Archived