The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll/discussion)Would You Want Hasek As Cory's Backup Next Year?

Gino Gino Gino

Goalie next year?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

To nip it in the bud, this is based on Lou leaving. Which I am not huge on, but seems like it is going to happen anyway.

The Dominator is looking for a home in the NHL for another year at 47 years of age.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=632862

"Hasek has won the Stanley Cup twice (2002 and 2008), Olympic gold (1998) and three domestic league titles (1987, 1989 and 2010). He has six Vezina and two Hart Trophies on his mantle."

If you don't want to read the article, it basically talks about how he is staying in incredible shape, and is still winning over in Europe. Now I know that chances of getting him over to Vancouver are EXTREMELY slim, though we thought the same thing about singing Sundin (not saying we would through that kind of money at him). Gillis is known to pursue the unexpected, and Hasek would be just that. Not only that, but Hasek wants to win, and we certainly have the pieces to do it here (with some minor tinkering).

In some ways it seems like it could be a good idea.

1. The work ethic he must have to stay in competitive shape at 47 is impressive and a great example to a young guy on what it takes to stay the best goalie you can be.

2. He wouldn't/shouldn't expect to play a huge amount of games at his age (30-35) which would mean another step up for Cory in games (47-52) without chucking him into the spotlight without help.

3. Hasek would certainly pull some of the microscope off of Cory, and he could be another great mentor for one year to transition Cory from backup to a true starter.

4. If he gets hurt (which is a higher possibility given his age), it gives Lack the chance to come up for a little while and get his first taste of the NHL, while still getting starter minutes in the AHL for the majority of the year.

Now again, I know it is unlikely that he will want to come here, but the question remains, would you want him to backup Cory next year?

Please discuss...

not interested at all, mainly because Burrow's game would suffer. Hasek would also need a english interpreter for him, and the club would assign Burrow's guy leaving Alex to fend fo himself during some interviews and have the media twist his words into him wanting to leave town at some point, or he doesn't like the coach etc..... sooner have Burrow's playing with no distractions

not interested at all, mainly because Burrow's game would suffer. Hasek would also need a english interpreter for him, and the club would assign Burrow's guy leaving Alex to fend fo himself during some interviews and have the media twist his words into him wanting to leave town at some point, or he doesn't like the coach etc..... sooner have Burrow's playing with no distractions

Nope Hasek is started at 2 year 2.5 mil dollar contract, for starter goalie. Luo + Schnider get traded to other teams and Lack gets brought up to back up Hasek for his remaining time in the NHL by that time we may get a decent back up goalie for Lack when Hasek leaves... Yeaaaa long shot and i'd probably get flamed for a gamble like that but Hasek is the man.

Archived