The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll/discussion)Would You Want Hasek As Cory's Backup Next Year?

Gino Gino Gino

Goalie next year?  

227 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm not so sure Hasek could cause a goalie controvery at his age since he in all likelyhood wouldn't be back with the Nucks next year cause of Lack.

I also don't think he is expecting to be a full time starter either since he wants to go to a team with a solid chance of winning and all the likely cadidates don't need a starter obviously (Detroit, NYR, Boston, Philly, etc).

To be honest, I think he might get the warmest welcome from either Detroit or Chicago. Both are teams with young starters that could use a little more of a rock behind them, and both are teams he has a history with.

No way. Hasek was great but if we have to get rid of Luo I really don't want to sign a player like Hasek who will want more games and to be the star. If we are getting rid of our current number one guy to let Schiends step into the role then let him step up and see what he can do. Don't bring in another goalie who is gonna want the job

I don't think Hasek would play out here, I'm sure he'd go to a team that he has some history with, that could also use a second goalie to split a decent amount of time for them...maybe detroit? ottawa? but I'm not sure a lot of teams really want Hasek when they could get a younger goalie...what are Hasek's stats in whatever league he's in?

I would for sure. Mainly because he is a guy who knows how to win it all...his demeanor would be an asset.

Although he's always been known as an incredible d-bag so...cancer maybe?

I'd still do it because in the immortal words of David Nonis, it's a "sexy" option

No way he'd come here with all the travel though

At 47, it goes beyond still being in shape. Your reaction time diminishes steadily with age, no matter how good of shape he is in his RT will be significantly diminished and in the NHL he will get lit up. Yes Chelios, and Howe did it (howe also played in a very different era) but RT is significantly more crucial being a goalie compared to a skater.

If the nucks could get Hask to camp on a tryout basis, I would say why not, however I think that's unlikely. If as you say gm's are talking to him, and he has turned down contracts in the khl etc...someone will sign him / guarantee him vs. a tryout. I think the nucks should focus on giving Schneids the reins, and determine whether Lack is ready to backup or sign a guy like Conklin, Gustavsson, or Clemmenson. I'd say Conklin or Clemmenson as Gustavsson will eventually want to be a starter if he can prove himself, not sure if he'd be happy in the backup role. That being said, hard to determine how good that guy can be if he's away from Toronto and able to play behind a solid team.

I don't think so. Schneider has learned from some of Luongo's mistakes. But I still think we should keep both for next season if possible.

Bower-45 years old ,Stanley Cup Finals-with poor eyesight.

Gumper-aged 44 .

Glenn Hall-aged 40.

Sawchuck-40 years old-he died that year.

Martin Brodeur

Yeah,retain Luo and let the madman show him how it is done.Hasek is one of the world's best and it would make for a great tandem-and story.

Personally,I would love to see this go down.

At 47, it goes beyond still being in shape. Your reaction time diminishes steadily with age, no matter how good of shape he is in his RT will be significantly diminished and in the NHL he will get lit up. Yes Chelios, and Howe did it (howe also played in a very different era) but RT is significantly more crucial being a goalie compared to a skater.

If the nucks could get Hask to camp on a tryout basis, I would say why not, however I think that's unlikely. If as you say gm's are talking to him, and he has turned down contracts in the khl etc...someone will sign him / guarantee him vs. a tryout. I think the nucks should focus on giving Schneids the reins, and determine whether Lack is ready to backup or sign a guy like Conklin, Gustavsson, or Clemmenson. I'd say Conklin or Clemmenson as Gustavsson will eventually want to be a starter if he can prove himself, not sure if he'd be happy in the backup role. That being said, hard to determine how good that guy can be if he's away from Toronto and able to play behind a solid team.

Archived