The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Thank You Luongo

FattieAcid

After reading that gem of a post I'm starting to get the impression you're not too far off from grade school yourself (mentally speaking). Just for the record, I'm not usually a guy who calls somebody out on grammar but I just found this one funny...plus I didn't like you in the first place.

It hurts my head to try to understand Canuck fans....now you want luongo?!?! It's probably too late.

I've been a huge Canuck fan for most of my life. I remember when we acquired luongo and how he took a team that had no business to be in the playoffs and won the division. He played exceptionally well the whole playoffs but the team in front of him was sub par. Things really began spiraling downwards after his first season with the epic collapse the following season and the Chicago meltdowns after that leading us to last year.

Luongo played amazing last year in the regular season and the playoffs. He was arguably our best player that year. There is a common conception that any goalie could have done it with that team but I beg to differ. Our team had plenty of holes and was not amazing. Luongo was able to put us in that elite status and NO other Canuck has ever done that. Luongo once again had some dark moments in the playoffs but ultimately fell short again. He was not the only reason the Canucks lost that year.

As a huge canucks and luongo fan I'm truly sorry for everything that has happened in Vancouver. You did not deserve this. You've come such a long way here in Vancouver, and you'll never be forgotten. It's time for this franchise to move on but you'll always have a special place in canucks fans heart.

In Luo We Trust

Best thing to ever happen to this franchise. Single handedly turned it around and kept us afloat when he was brought here.

Hoping to see him end his years in a Canucks uniform. I'll be beyond heartbroken if he leaves. Won't feel like the Canucks are my team without him.

I don't understand with all this Luongo bashing that has been going on recently every since last years SCF loss. It's pathetic to see and frankly you call yourselves fans of this franchise? Let me refresh your memories, for years this team struggled going through many goaltenders in order to be a legit competing team in the NHL. To those that remember, those years were very painful to watch for example Cloutier... When we brought Luongo in everyone was jizzing their pants about him because everyone knew things were gonna change for the best. Let's face it he is the best thing that has happened to this franchise, without him we wouldn't even be anywhere close to the team that we are today. Give the guy credit, in his first 2-3 years he carried this team on his back to give them a shot and made sure they made the playoffs even with the average players we had. Statistics don't lie and his numbers prove it why he is the best goaltender weve had in our history, frankly some of you need to see the bigger picture and ask yourselves where would our team be if we had no got Luongo? Just some food for thought...

You rank Naslund with Linden but not Luongo? Surely if leading the team in offensive stats is enough (and frankly, he accomplished little more than that) then what about goaltending stats? Bure, Mclean and Smyl are all legendary for a reason, a reason that does not apply to Naslund. Luongo has more playoff success by a longshot and arguably more season success than Naslund.

In any case the greatest thing to happen to the Canucks in the last decade is Luongo, but overall it's Bure hands down. He was one of the most prolific scorers EVER and not only put the Canucks on the map but also dominated during the 94 run. Linden had few points in the NYR series til game 7. Bure carried the offensive load for sure, and is definitely the greatest player to play for us.

People are so dumb about goalies in Vancouver, part of me thinks it's the newbie fans.

Do you guys remember who our goalies were after Kirk and Pre-Luongo

Cloutier? Auld? Old Potvin? Kevin Weeks? Skudra?

this team is blessed to have a goalie who has been a multiple Vezina nominee who brought stability to the position. I remember exploding with happiness when we got Luongo and the picture of him on the main page came up. Everyone on this board was very happy too.

Yes, I have criticized him when he has not performed up to standard but let's be honest. The first round loss wasn't about him, it was about the lack of production from the forwards. Even the cup final loss last year wasn't completely on him. The team played brutal in front of him (our banged up D had a large role to play there) and he stole a few games in that series. Again, the scoring wasn't up to par.

Unless the secondary scoring issue with the second/third line gets sorted, this team cannot win the Cup. The Sedins are not gonna carry this team in the playoffs.

How is this ignorant? Schnieder was much better in the series against LA than Luongo. Had he started and played the whole series, it very well may have turned out differently. I have a lot of respect for Luongo, but even at his age , Schneider is much more composed than Lu has ever been.

Schnieder will be a cheaper option which will shore up some space to bolster this teams offence. He is also quite a bit younger, which means signing him to a long term deal where he will be still be in peak form at the end.

Luongos time here, as great as it was, is over. He is the greatest Canucks goalie in this teams history (playing on the greatest Canucks teams this franchise has had), unfortunately that just wasnt good enough. Its a business and its whats right for this team, dont take it so personally.

I'm going to remeber our pathetic offense that even Patrick Roy in his prime wouldn't have been able to lead to a cup. 1.14 goals a game in the finals is a joke. Even with those horrible games in Boston Luongo's GAA for the playoffs was roughly 2.5. you would think that would be sufficient for a Canucks team that averaged well over 3 goals a game during the year, but it wasn't. Why? Our offense completely sh!t the bed in the finals, yes Luongo did too but he redeemed himself with his 2 shutouts and got us to game 7, we're done in 5 without those shutouts. The offense never had a good game in the finals

I hope Lou stays and we have more of these great Lou moments.

I am troubled by how people simply people dismiss what he has done and could do here because the grass could be greener in another yard.

Why do so many people have such a hate on for Lou? Does the bad really out weigh the good?

Why did we sign him to a 12 year extension only throw him out like he is worthless?

Canucks have only gone the SCF 3 times and never won any.

King Richard, didn't win it and no one blames him for the loss.

Capt. Kirk also did not win it and he is looked upon as one of the best.

Lou gets there and its his fault we lost?

Things that make me scratch my head.

I don't get it.

Archived