The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

$675,000 Fine For Downloading 30 Songs

Columbo

It goes beyond "appealing music". Is it easy to consume? Does it work in any format? Can I do with it as I please? When you pirate, the answer to all is "yes".

Not only that, but we've all been bitten by paying good money for albums that had a couple of good songs. Laws that prevent people from returning media only pushed people toward piracy. And yet, artists are selling record amounts of music, independent artists are getting more exposure, and I'm yet to hear any artist who wasn't Dre or the dude from Metallica argue against piracy.

Back in the day, I pretty much always figured that I was buying the album for the good songs and the rest was just filler. From time to time there would be groups that could produce albums that were great from end to end, but this was mostly not the case. Now, with many of the online services I can pick and choose which song I want and ignore the filler.

Your previous comment just struck me as funny and I do tend to leave comments about things like that. I totally agree with you though (if I am reading you right). One thing that drives me nuts is I have paid good money for dozens of DVDs, but I can't load them into my iPod to watch when I travel. I just think that's wrong. If I bought it, I should be able to watch it or listen to it how I choose. I can download my entire CD collection into iTunes, but I can't do the same with my movies.

What a joke! Seriously I don't understand how they reach these crazy numerical values for downloading songs...does the artist/company actually lose out $650,000 by the kid downloading the music? Seems rediculous if you ask me. I definitely buy the work of artists I love (like Michael Jackson) but how do artists like lets say for example CHINGY...expect people to buy their songs? Oh well I Youtube everything now adays anyways...no need to download lol

What a joke! Seriously I don't understand how they reach these crazy numerical values for downloading songs...does the artist/company actually lose out $650,000 by the kid downloading the music? Seems rediculous if you ask me. I definitely buy the work of artists I love (like Michael Jackson) but how do artists like lets say for example CHINGY...expect people to buy their songs? Oh well I Youtube everything now adays anyways...no need to download lol

In the 90's, a bunch of corporations were fined for making large illegal political contributions. Funny how none of those fines were over $600,000.

I still don't understand the legal aspect of this. How, in any sense of reason, can you claim that $675,000 worth of damages occurred from one person's downloading? I understand that the companies want to make an example - but legally that is meaningless. I understand that it's too expensive to sue for a couple hundred bucks - but if that is all that it was truly worth, then tough...What is the proof of damage?

November 2006

The Seattle Times reports today that Celebrity Cruises faces a fine for the Mercury dumping 500,000 gallons of untreated wastewater into Puget Sound. Though it initially claimed it hadn't dumped, shipboard documents contradicted the company's claim. The dumping happended 10 times over nine days in September and October 2005.

Amount of fine? $100,000.

(LINK: http://www.cruisejunkie.com/largefines.html)

In the 90's, a bunch of corporations were fined for making large illegal political contributions. Funny how none of those fines were over $600,000.

I still don't understand the legal aspect of this. How, in any sense of reason, can you claim that $675,000 worth of damages occurred from one person's downloading? I understand that the companies want to make an example - but legally that is meaningless. I understand that it's too expensive to sue for a couple hundred bucks - but if that is all that it was truly worth, then tough...What is the proof of damage?

Archived